At the Perth hackfest we discussed in detail ways in which we could improve Moodle. Some of our priorities were:
* Responsive design
* Markup standardization for more consistent theming
* Fixing some of the nagging issues which make adoption of HTML5 doctype, including header and footer elements, difficult
You can see the topics discussed here:
As followup to that discussion, I have set down some recommendations for improvements we could make to the markup, often to the output renderers. The idea behind this is that if the markup is more standardized across modules, and easier to test and access using tools like Totara's element library then we can all work faster and have more confidence that our changes look good across Moodle's diverse ecosystem of modules.
You can see the recommendations at the following URL:
Please contribute your critical eye to what I've put down, and let me know what I've missed. What we're trying to do is eliminate the need to check every single page view of every single module when developing a theme, so think about what particular page views are consistently irregular to you, what requires targeted CSS overrides, and why. If it's a matter of making something conform to a demonstrated convention, or it evidences a need for a convention, we should add it to the recommendations in the wiki. Give a good example, a screenshot if possible, and tell others how to replicate.