Mahara admin as Moodle admin

Mahara admin as Moodle admin

by Lilian hugues -
Number of replies: 4
Hi, I'm implementing a couple mahara/moodle which Mahara is the master platform. (maha 1.6 / mood 2.3.2+) I found easilly user comming from mahar in the moodle user list but I don't see them in the list of people authorized to become admin in Moodle. Thus I have to use 2 account to admin the system : one for Moodle and another for Mahara. here is my question : How to proceed in order to allow the "admin mahara" user in moodle to become a Moodle Admin ? Many thanks in advance for your answers and your help. Lilian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lilian hugues

Re: Mahara admin as Moodle admin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. I have never gone from Mahara into Moodle so I don't know the system but when you say you see them in the Moodle list but not for becoming admin - are you saying that they appear in the general users list ie Settings>Users>Accounts>Browse list of users - but NOT in the Settings>Users>Permissions>Site administrators?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Lilian hugues -
Hi Mary, This is exactly my issue.

by Robert Brenstein -
The main admin account must be a local account with manual password verification, so it does not rely on availability or not of an external service of any sort.The thing is that main admin must be able to always get into the system. On the other hand, it might be possible to give certain admin rights to users signed through mahara but I have no experience with that.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

That would make sense … that one sees only local accounts in Moodle … because other mnetted accounts are 'fetched' from the mnetted servers other wise.

However, one does see 'mnet' users when Assigning System roles in the 2. Roles are restricted to Manager or Course Creator.

Now comes the 'fun' … I'll use myself as an example:

I've 6 other servers mneted to a Moodle 2 instance.  In the other servers I used the same name, login name, and EMail address as the account in the Moodle 2 (different password, however).  Thus, when I pull up a list of 'potential users' and do a search for login name, I see all those accounts, but there is no designation in the potential users list that shows which mnet server.

In your case, where is there is only Mahara and your Moodle, that might not present a problem.

But, have seen many times that admin users should create some true student accounts and login as those users to see exactly how things work/don't work.

Actually, if one thinks about it, probably a good idea (for security purposes) that there is restriction such as this.  Yes, it does make it more inconvenient for the Admin user.  But, it also helps prevent someone else from acquiring the 'keys to the city' so to speak … crack one account and cracker has access to many/all.

Did read an interesting article about a high profile persons experience with such an event.  This person had various accounts … twitter, Facebook, etc, etc. 'tied together' and with rather trivial methods a hacker was able to acquire access to one account, thus leading to acquisition of and control of other accounts until, eventually, nearly all were 'taken over'.  Basically, e-identity was compromised.

Search Google for 'identity theft stories' if one desires an education.

my 2 cents ... 'spirit of sharing', Ken