Quickmail Problem

Quickmail Problem

by michelle bowie -
Number of replies: 2
When a student attempts click compose in Quickmail (block), they receive an error: There are no users you are capable of emailing. They have been given permission within the course to use Quickmail as well as at the site level. Help, please. We are using 2.2.3. Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to michelle bowie

Re: Quickmail Problem

by Edwinna Lucyk -

I had a similar issue.  

• Student got error when tried to send Quickmail from course page – error /block quickmail/no users “­­­­There are no users you are capable of emailing”
  • Students could only see and email other students in their own group so if there was no other person in the group, that message was displayed.
  • Students got Quickmail window when there were others in their group but could only see other group members and not the teacher

I took the following action

• Site Admin-Adv Features-Plugins-Blocks-Quickmail set “Allow students to use send email” to YES
  • Set block/quickmail:cansend set to Allow for student role
  • Course settings – Group mode.  Set to VISIBLE
  • Course settings – Force groups. Set to YES
  • Created at least one group for the course (even if all students were in the same group) and put the students in that group. 

Site Admin – Users-permissions
Set capabilities/moodle/site:accessallgroups to ALLOW
NOTE:  A user with this capability set to allow can browse forum postings of users in other groups when the forum is set to separate groups.

I don't know if this is the best way to handle the problem but it worked for me.  I hope this helps.

Edwinna

In reply to Edwinna Lucyk

Re: Quickmail Problem

by Donna Hrynkiw -

This is a known bug: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-3341

According to my testing:

• Site administration ⟩ Plugins ⟩ Blocks ⟩ Quickmail - settings here seem to have no effect. If the Quickmail block has been added to the course, the students have access no matter what the setting here is.
  • Settings > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles
    Role: Student
    Filter: quickmail
    block/quickmail:cansend: Allow
    - Without this, students get "You do not have permission to sent email with Quickmail" BUT MESSAGE IS STILL SENT. With this, no error message and message is sent.
  • Settings > Course administration > Edit settings: Group mode
    - Settings here have no effect.
  • Create one group for all participants in the course
    If this is not done, students get "There are no users you are capable of emailing". Works even if course is set to No Groups.
  • We didn't have to set capability moodle/site:accessallgroups to Allow

Hm. Just found this too: https://github.com/lsuits/quickmail/issues/51

This under Moodle v2.2.6

HrynkiwKwantlen Polytechnic University