trouble keeping course total hidden

trouble keeping course total hidden

by Huy Hoang -
Number of replies: 2

A teacher wants to keep the "Course total" hidden (because it's not correct with her calculation method). The teacher went to Category and Items, scrolled to the bottom, clicked on the eye-icon of the Sum row to shut the eye, that row was then grayed out, and hidden from user report.

However, when the teacher unhide or edit a grade item (didn't even make changes, just hit save), the "Course Total" row automatically becomes visible. I tried setting "hidden until" and locking the sum row but that doesn't help.

Is this behavior expected or is it a bug? What's the reasoning behind un-hiding the course total automatically? Did I miss something to set it up correctly?

Moodle 2.2.5+ (Build: 20121101)

thanks

In reply to Huy Hoang

Re: trouble keeping course total hidden

by Paula Clough -

Hello Huy,

Have you tried going to Course grade settings and going to the Overview and Userview report sections and setting the Hide totals if they contain hidden items to Hide and then make sure that at least one of the gradebook items in the course is hidden? In our site Hide is the default, but it may not be in your side. Paula

In reply to Paula Clough

Re: trouble keeping course total hidden

by Huy Hoang -

thanks much, Paula

I've tested again and although the total column is visible when viewed as an instructor, it's not visible to students in user report. However, thanks for the clever work-around, we'll use it if all else fail.

It's a little messy when the eye-icon of the "Total" item doesn't truly reflect its visibility, and then it automatically toggles to visible when I update a grade item. I'll look into that behavior further when I have time, unless somebody tells me that behavior is expected.