Survey module refactoring for Moodle 2.5

Re: Survey module refactoring for Moodle 2.5

by Daniele Cordella -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Ciao Gabriel. 
Surveypro is growing and, as far as I know, it is correctly working even if there is no plan to have it in Moodle core shortly.  
I am developing it for my customers and we (my customers and me) are are satisfied with it even if we continuously debug and improve it. 
In spite of this we are only a bunch of people so many issues may still be undiscovered. 
If you want to use it, feel free to enjoy it and file to the tracker what you find incorrect. 
Please test its behavior  before loading it to a production site.

Current master branch works fine with Moodle 31 and head. 

There is no more documentation than the one you already found. I am only one. If you want to collaborate and you like the module, I can help you, time to time, and you can write the documentation you feel more relevant. The available features are really a lot and a complete documentation could be really long. In my readme.md I tried to summarize all its features. Behat tests provide examples of many more features too. 

That's all for the moment. 
Ciao. 
Daniele
In reply to Daniele Cordella

by David Heuring -

I tried to upload surveypro to my development site but it did something weird.  It completely removed another mod folder on the server.  Never seen this happen before. 

I have Moodle 3.1 installed on a LAMP stack.  I downloaded surveypro from GitHub and uploaded it from Moodle's install plugin page.  Once it was uploaded, I noticed that I had another plugin (adaptivequiz) missing from the disk.  So I cancelled the surverpro installation and then re-installed the missing adaptivequiz plugin.  I tried it again and the same thing happened.

I also noted that surveypro did not have a file name once it was uploaded so I'm guessing it would not have installed correctly.

At any rate, the lesson here is to always test these early versions of a plugin on a development server first, which I did.

I didn't really need surveypro but wanted to check it out for usability.  If you think I should report this on GitHub, let me know and I'll be happy to do so.

David

In reply to David Heuring

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Just a thought:

When you downlaoded from github did you check that the folder then has the correct naming structure - the default naming convention in github is not the same as that used for the moodle UI installation and has previously caused problems for people with themes.

You may need to unzip the folder from github and rezip it with the correct moodle naming conventions and then try again.

In reply to David Heuring

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

We get problems like this in the Themes forum. The problem is as Richards has already mentioned. There should really be a WARNING in the Administration > Site Administration > Plugins > Install plugin page.

Perhaps creating a Moodle tracker issue may be a good start in setting the wheels in motion so that this gets done?

Cheers

Mary

by Tom Wilson -

Hi Daniele,

I could not find a proto version of Survey2 to download on the github site. it it still available?

Thanks, 

Tom Wilson 

In reply to Tom Wilson

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Its name is surveypro and you can find it in https://github.com/kordan/moodle-mod_surveypro

Ciao.

by Tom Wilson -

Danielle, 

Got it, many thanks.

Tom

In reply to Tom Wilson

by Tom Wilson -

I am not able to install due to lack of verification. is this considered a local plugin?

Thanks,

Tom

In reply to Tom Wilson

by Daniele Cordella -

No. It is an activity module. Put it in mod folder (rename its folder to surveypro) and visit notification page.