Permission Denied when Downloading Questionnaire Responses

Permission Denied when Downloading Questionnaire Responses

by Joyce Aarsvold -
Number of replies: 8

I have several questionnaires in a Moodle 1.9.2 course. Students have completed and submitted the questionnaires, and I can see all of their individual or cumulative responses. But when I try to download the responses as a Text file, I get the Permission Denied error.

Any idea why this is happening?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joyce Aarsvold

Re: Permission Denied when Downloading Questionnaire Responses

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Joyce,

Moodle 1.9.2 is a very old version of Moodle and is no longer maintained. I suggest upgrading to something more current.

Anyway, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the Permission Denied error". Please take a screenshot and post it here so I can actually see what happens. Also please specify what is your role in that Moodle course (admin? teacher?), which browser you are using.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Joyce Aarsvold -

Joseph,

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I know 1.9.2 is old, and we are planning to make the upgrade to 2.x during our next semester break. But until then, I hope to keep this version running.

I am an admin on the server and I am using Firefox vs. 16.0.1 on a Macintosh. This problem is for one of the faculty that I support who has nearly 75 of these questionnaires in this course. The data is all there - we can see it - but we simply cannot download it. I'm attaching the 2 screen shots. Thanks so much for your help.

Joyce

Attachment Screen Shot 2012-10-26 at 12.14.09 PM.png

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Joyce,

Normally this message should never get displayed. This is what I can find in the questionnaire/report.php file:

// Download page options
        /// Should never happen, unless called directly by a snoop...
        if ( !has_capability('mod/questionnaire:downloadresponses',$context,$userid) ) {
            error('Permission denied');
        }
Please specify

a) HOW that teacher is trying to download the questionnaires data to text; provide a complete screenshot, not just the error message. Does the error get displayed when the teacher clicks on the Download button?

---

b) check that that teacher does have the capability 'mod/questionnaire:downloadresponses'

c) are those "normal" questionnaires created by that teacher in his own course? or public questionnaires created elsewhere by him (or by another teacher)?

Joseph

by Joyce Aarsvold -

Joseph,

Sorry for not also including the screen shot of the download window.The maximum no. of attachments per post is 1.

a.) The faculty member is going to the View > View All Responses > Download in Text Format. When they click on the "Download to Text Format" the Permission Denied error message window appears. FYI: Even though I am an admin on the system with unrestricted permissions, I get the same results.

b.) I checked in the Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define Roles > Teacher and they are allowed to 'mod/questionnaire:downloadresponses'

c.) Some of these questionnaires were created by the professor directly in her own course. Some were created in a test course by my staff and then imported into her course. However, the "permission denied" occurs on both types of questionnaires.

Joyce

Attachment Screen Shot 2012-10-26 at 12.13.44 PM.png

by Joyce Aarsvold -

Here is the screen shot of the Permission Denied window in its entirety. Not really very helpful...

Thanks for your help!

Joyce

Attachment Screen Shot 2012-10-26 at 1.42.50 PM.png

by Joseph Rézeau -

1.- From this screenshot I see that your questionnaire is set to "Group mode"= separate groups. Can you try to set it to "no groups" and see if that solves the problem?

2.- Are you getting the same problem on all the other questionnaire instances in other courses on your moodle site or only on one particular course?

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Joyce Aarsvold -

Joseph,

Sorry for not replying sooner - I was out of town at a conference.

1. YES!! I was able to download the data once I set groups to "no groups."

2. I am not having problems with other questionnaires on our site, but I don't think any of the other questionnaires use groups/groupings.

The use of groups is crucial to these questionnaires, however, as they  target specific groups of students, e.g. junior, seniors, clinicians, etc. If I can keep the groups intact while collecting data and then turn them off to download the data, however, this would be acceptable. Do you see any problems with this?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for weeks and you have been the ONLY person who has been able to provide a solution!

Joyce

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Joyce,

I'm glad this partly solved the problem, which I still can't reproduce on my moodle 1.9 test site.

Do you have the latest available version of questionnaire for moodle 1.9 on your moodle 1.9 site? See here: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=mod_questionnaire

To ascertain whether something got wrong with the questionnaire(s) you are having download problems with, you could on your moodle site:

create a bogus course  with bogus students (enroled in groups)

create a questionnaire, and set it to "groups"

fill in the questionnaire as student role (several students)

and find out if you still have the download problem

Also, try with several browsers.

Joseph