Setting up grading for 4 out of 6 essays

Setting up grading for 4 out of 6 essays

by Dawn Wright -
Number of replies: 5

In 1.4.4+, I added the essay question mod and want students to choose to answer 4 of the 6 possible essay questions.  I am using the gradebook_cdc too. I can't think of a way to have the score for the exam calculate the way I would do it manually, e.g. 4 essays at 50 points equals 200 possible points. Setting the max grade to 200 scales the points earned down.   Setting the max to 300 (6 @ 50points), gives an incorrect percentage and total score for the course. I'm also using gradebook_cdc and have tried a number of variations but still cannot get the correct score to be visible for the student.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dawn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dawn Wright

Re: Setting up grading for 4 out of 6 essays

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators
Recently, I faced a similar erroneous-score issue in a Cloze (multianswer) question I set up in a quiz. Despite of having only 6 equally-valued sub-questions (of various types), the grading algorithm insisted in grading over 11, i.e., if I answered correctly only one subquestion, the final grading was 0.0909/1 instead of 0.1666/1.

I did my best reviewing all the values, percents, etc. assigned to each answer. No errors detected. Certainly, at the time of question creation, incorrect weights were assigned to the sub-questions (the numbers "x" in "{x:MULTICHOICE... ), but these were corrected later.

Finally, the solution was to create anothe blank question of the same type and copypaste the content of the ill-behaved question into the new one. That worked for me.

The only explanation I can give is the question got saved initially with the wrong weights, but never updated (a bug??) when the weights were corrected.

Hope this helps.

Orestes.
In reply to Orestes Mas

by Dawn Wright -

Orestes

Thank you for your suggestion. I missed your response when you posted it and am just now reading it. My problem is not with the question weight per se, but the proration that occurs if the max score on the exam is set correctly. On the other hand, if I set the max score to the total of the question points, I don't get the proration but my total points for the course are off. I need some way to allow students to select questions they will answer and only have the selected questions count in the quiz max points calculation.

In reply to Dawn Wright

by Michael Penney -
Hi Dawn, you can curve the quiz to a lower point value than the total (in set categories).

So if you have 6  essay ?s, at 10 points each, then curve the test to 40 points (and only grade 4 essays per studentwink, it should get close to what you are looking for.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Dawn Wright -

That makes sense. I'm new to gradebook_cdc and have not explored all it can do. Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

dawn

In reply to Michael Penney

by Dawn Wright -

Michael

Your idea works great for the gradebook so the student sees the correct number of points (200 of 200 max) and weighted contribution toward the overall final grade. Thanks for that easy fix.

You wouldn't have an idea where to look in the essay/guiz mod to modify the max grade displayed when you look at your graded exam? Now a perfect score on the four selected essays is reported as 200 of 300 max points or 66.7% instead of 100%.

any ideas would be appreciated.

dawn