Quiz question categories

Quiz question categories

by Paolo Oprandi -
Number of replies: 40

I find the relationship between quiz, questions and categories confusing. Shouldn't Moodle categories act as question repositories?

By this I mean questions in quizzes are not associated with a category.

When questions from a category are used in a quiz they are copies - so they can be updated without effecting the central question repository.

This would mean - when importing quizzes from one course to another they are imported as self-contained units.

And where a question category isn't available at the required context level the category itself can also be imported (copied).

Does this make sense?

One obvious advantage would be that we wouldn't have to explain to tutors that they cannot edit some questions because they are being used in another quiz that has already been attempted.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

Re: Quiz question categories

by Itamar Tzadok -

It makes sense in this particular scenario but does not undermine the current approach. Same quesions are frequently used in multiple quiz instances and if you need to fix a typo in one of these question it makes sense to do once for all, but that won't be possible if each instance has its own copy of the question.

Each quiz has its default question category such that if the quiz questions are stored there it is virtually self contained. You can copy questions in that category. What's missing in the current interface is a usable way to do that copying. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Paolo Oprandi -

Hi Itamar,

Thanks for your comments.

I can see the advantages the current model has for your scenario - but is this really the model most people unfamiliar with Moodle will be expecting? I don't think so and I think that is why quiz categories confuse me.

For example, I don't think if I was using a question from a repository I would expect my question to be updated without my knowing - just because its been updated in the repository.

Clearly if this feature was really important it would be simple enough to write a feature where specified changes could be pushed on to questions created from a central category.

I agree that questions that use the quiz category are self-contained - so I am thinking there probably isn't any point in there being a category at all. Isn't it just confusing to have redundent categories - redundent options? Obviously you might want a category of unused questions associated with the quiz for random or random short answer matching questions, but that doesn't mean every question has to be associated with a category, does it? 

And of course, by default the quiz category isn't used - it is a category at course level. Why is that?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The question bank is currently a problem. However, as Itamar points out, if you want to think about changing it, there are many different use cases that you need to satisfy. I have been thinking about this for a long time, and I still don't have a design that solves all the problems, so I am going to keep thinking about it, and not start hacking code until I have a complete solution.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paolo Oprandi -

Hello Tim,

Having dug deep into the quiz module when I rewrote import I've got to know it quite well, and the infrastructure quizzes is almost built for it to work as a repository.

I don't believe it will take a lot of work to make it a sustainable, easily understood model based on what I propose here. Its almost there.

We have sketched out your use cases here:

quiz category use case 1 (current model)

This is a wonderful use case for the current model but only works if no-one has ever used the question with students!

This is a much more likely use case (with slightly exaggerated outcomes)

Quiz category use case 3 (repository model)

This obviously isn't quite a neat as it requires some manual intervention but at least works as the head of chemistry would expect

Quiz category use case 4 (repository model)

The beauty of this model allows them to clean up their question categories even if the questions have been taken.

by Itamar Tzadok -

I'm not sure that your depiction of the current behavior of questions in quizzes is entirely correct. For instance, you can change the content of a question even if it is already used in a quiz and even it has been attempted. This does not change the score of existing attempts but may break the consistency of the question descirption and recorded answer, which would require a proper notification.

At any rate, afaict your github use cases are already realizable in the current model at least in some cases although not in a straightforward way and only as a workaround until the question bank is revisited (it would have been easier to follow the use cases with a simple textual point form description).  For instance you can use in the quiz random questions from the designated category. This allows you to remove obsolete questions from the category and add new ones without changing the obsolete and hence without breaking any thing in existing attempts.

smile

by Joshua Bragg -

You are correct about editing a question that has been used in a quiz.  You can edit a question that has been used in a quiz.  You can also chose as to whether you want the quizzes regraded or not.

This ability to edit questions used in a quiz is a necessary feature for me.  I am by no means perfect and I have made mistakes in my questions before.  I've needed to edit questions before (particularly short answer) to add a correct answer.  I've also needed to edit a question to eliminate a false positive.

While you can't edit what questions are in a quiz, you can edit the questions themselves.  That has saved me on a number of occasions.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Itamar Tzadok -

My second point was about changing which questions appear in attempted quizzes. Suppose you have a quiz with 10 questions. You can put the 10 questions in a category and add to the quiz 10 random questions from the category. The quiz is attempted. Then you decide that one question needs to be replaced. You can delete that question or move it somewhere else and add another one in its stead. This does not affect the questions in existing attempts. New attempts will contain the new question. This method may work only for a few use cases, but it is still good to know. smile

by Ray Lawrence -

Setting aside the version control for a moment- this would be great btw, the main cause of confusion IMO is that users go to a Quiz activitiy and think they are creating questions in the Quiz - in fact they are creating them in the Question bank.

Once users view the process creating/managing questions as a question bank task (and view the quiz activity as the place where they make questions form the question bank available to candidates) confusion melts away. It wouldn't take much to improve the current interface to make the actual relationships more obvious.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Itamar Tzadok -

Absolutely agree and this has been raised in previous discussions. The "improvements" to the question editing ui in Moodle 2 actually increased the prospects of confusion in that they made it easier for users to create questions in the quiz level rather than in the question bank, all in the name of "rapid quiz development". smile

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

As a quick fix, how about a warning box that shows up when you go to save an existing question - something the effect of - "If you save the changes to this question, it will effect every instance of this question - are you sure you would not prefer to save a copy?" and then have two buttons - Save A Copy (selected by default) and Make Change To This Question.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Emma,

I don't think that's a good idea. Please let's not have one more setting on the already cluttered question editing screen!

Joseph

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paolo Oprandi -

And there is a fifth use case, which the repository model would resolve

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is exactly the sort of analysis and thinking that is needed.

I am afraid I have not read through all your analysis in detail yet. (I am, technically on holday at the moment.) but I will read it properly when I get back.

Two things I have concluded so far:

1. To satisfy all the sharing (and then re-editing) use cases Moodle should support, we need some sort of simple versionning scheme. In order to be simple enough, I think that means versionning like wikis, not versionning like git/github, but I might be wrong about that.

2. If we are really trying to solve sharing, then I think the solution should encompas not just sharing within one Moodle site, but also allowing different teachers from different schools to collaborate on a question bank, for example on a Moodle community hub. At least, the mode should be robust and general enough to support that, it would require the admin to enable it, probably.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Kupfer -

The other useful feature of categories is adding multiple random question from a category into the quiz. I will admit I don't fully follow some of the database conversation here, but that is a powerful I use often and would be kept around if any changes to the question bank are made.

PK

In reply to Peter Kupfer

by Tim Hunt -

Of course. That is an essential feature. Even if things are ever changed behind the scenes, this functionality, or a more flexible equivalent, will be possible.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paolo Oprandi -

Hi Tim and others,

I think the separation of quizzes and questions was a good design decision, and not much needs to be done to make it work like a decent question repository that could potentially be shared across platforms.

In my current vision there would not be any change in the way random or randomsamatch questions work. They still pick questions out of a category.

Now, Tim, get back to enjoying your holiday and stop looking at the forum! smile

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paolo Oprandi -

Tim,

I see you are back from your holidays so can you expand on your wiki and git versioning point?

The reason for keeping versions of wiki pages is that a page might be defaced or have content overwritten by another user.

But I don't understand why wiki type versions of questions are needed. That would over complicating things.

As far as I can see, Moodle just need

• a quiz module which lets tutors create quizzes without having to think about question repositories, and
  • a question repository which works as a question repository without having to know about the quizzes which are using its questions

The quiz module doesn't currently support this, but the infrastructure is there so it could quite easily

by Paolo Oprandi -

What I am trying to guage is if there is enough momentum to put this development into the tracker for Moodle 2.5+. Its clearly got some interest

To reiterate, Moodle needs:

• a quiz module that lets tutors create quizzes without having to think about question repositories, and
  • a question repository that is independent of the quizzes which use its questions
  • random question-types still draw questions from categories. It won't detect if the question already exists in the quiz, but that is how a user unfamiliar with Moodle would expect it to work anyway. 

I feel this is the complete solution Tim is looking for. Ray sounds like he agrees. Anyone else? Tim, Joseph?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
It would get my vote. I keep all my questions at the system level and try and do extensive warnings and trainings on how teachers should use those questions but it is always a concern that they are going to inadvertently make changes to someone else's question that is already in a quiz.

by Joshua Bragg -

It would be a requirement for me to have the ability to push changes back to the repository or down from the repository.  The versioning system mentioned before might work in that regard. 

Most of my questions are used in many different quizzes throughout the course.  The classic easy unit review is to take random questions from a big mass of categories.  If I have to update the questions indivdually in each of those quizzes then I'd be very angry to have it changed.  When I migrated from 1.9 to 2.2, I didn't like updating all the units settings on the questions, even though I love having the new options.  If I had to do that for each question on each quiz as opposed to each question once in the bank I would have easily tripled my time requirements.

If you get that worked out that I'm fine with it.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Paolo,

I leave it to those who use random questions. When I used to create questions and quizzes (until I retired 2 years ago) I would never ever use random questions, and any question I created was used once only in a specific quiz. In my everyday use of Moodle then, a learning quiz was not a hapazard collection of questions but a succession of carefully graded questions, each leading to the next.

That said I do understand that there may be cases where a testing quiz may consist-entirely of partly- of randomly selected questions.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -

http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Effective_quiz_practices#Robust_testing_with_random_variants is a use-case for random questions.

At the OU, we do that in testing quizzes in order to reduce the opportunities for plagiarism; and we do that in learning quizzes in order to increase the amount of practice that students can get by doing repeat attempts.

by Tim Hunt -

That is only part of what Moodle needs. To really understand the problem, you need to read all the relevant tracker issues (try http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+MDL+AND+%28summary+%7E+%22bank+share%22+OR+description+%7E+%22bank+share%22%29+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+component+%3D+Questions as a query to get you started).

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Goals_of_an_online_assessment_system#Add_question_versioning_and_better_sharing_to_the_question_bank and the linked http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Future_question_bank/sharing/versioning_requirements page. That is what I have written so far about this problem, but I have not updated it recently. I will try to update it to include my more recent thoughts.

What is needed next for this project / problem / proposal / whatever, is a detailed specification on MoodleDocs. For example: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Database_collation_issue shows about the right format. http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Better_handling_of_overdue_quiz_attempts is another example. Describe the problems, Describe the proposed solution, flag up any problems that might be caused by the solution so they can be discussed. Later, the page can be exteded to include an implementation plan, once the proposal is complete.

By the way, I am still travelling. Today I am at the last day of http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Perth_Hackfest_October_2012. Then I have two more week's holday. I don't know what sort of internet access I will have during that time, but you folks are good at looking after yourselves.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paolo Oprandi -

Keep it simple. I don't think the quiz needs question versions. smile

by Tim Hunt -

Well, what should happen in the following scenario:

1. Teacher A creates "Super question" with lots of great feedback and partial credit for partially right responses.
  2. Teacher A uses "Super question" is her quiz, and students attempt this quiz.
  3. Teacher B see "Super question" and descides it is exactly what they want. Teacher B uses it in his quiz. Students attempt this quiz.
  4. Teacher A now decides to tweak "Super question" to adjust the marks for one quite common partially correct response.

What should now be displayed, in both Teacher A and Teacher B's quizzes, before and after regrade?

Please answer from the teacher's point of view. That is, talk about desired/expected/natural behaviour, not the technical, what is easy to implement code point of view.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paolo Oprandi -

Hi Tim,

I think the expected and natural behaviour is for the questions to be independent of each other so it doesn't matter if teacher A tweaks their own question.

I realise this may not be the desired behaviour for some teachers who have got used to changing a question in one place. For example I realise teacher B may want the new adjustment. However I think this model is fundamentally confusing.

To be clear, I'd also like quizzes and categories to have separate question instances. A question in a quiz can be a copy of a question in a category but they are not the same. 

smile

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

On my Moodle there is only Teacher A, no Teacher B here as I am the only teacher smile so Tim's scenario is unrealistic !

I don't know what the "natural and expected behaviour" is for other teachers but when I make a change to a question I definitely want to have the choice between at least 2 main behaviours

- I consider my change as an "improvement" to "Super question" and I want it both in the question bank and in all quiz using it

- I am in fact creating a new "version" of "Super Question" and I don't want it to be modified in existing quiz, I only want the change in the question bank. This is for instance what happend when I change a question about statistics to include more recent data

So even for a single teacher only there are already several scenarios.

Paolo, one of the main lesson I have learn on this forum is never to assume that everyone uses the quiz module as I do !

IMHO we definitely need some kind of question versioning  but with a good interface hiding complexity  from the user.

I don't think we need to "keep it simple" only that it "seems simple" to the user to do what he wants to do.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joshua Bragg -

I'm with Jean-Michel.  I'm the only teacher using my question bank.  I'm also the site administrator and recently told the other chemistry teacher at my school that if she wants my questions then she'll need to import them into her question bank rather than sharing them.  Quite frankly I don't trust anyone with editing rights on my questions.

Which brings me to my point:  If you're working with shared files with shared editing rights then you should expect shared editing.  If you don't want shared editing then why are you using shared files?

I think that if you want to share questions then they should have a defined owner (and possibly a group) who has editing permissions.  Here are a few scenarios:

1) Teacher A owns a question that has been shared with Teacher B.  Teacher A wants to edit it and propogate the changes down to his quizzes.  Teacher A edits the question and all the quizzes are updated.

2) Teacher B is using the shared question owned by Teacher A.  Teacher B is using a shared file and should expect that Teacher A may update it at some point.

3) Teacher B wants to use a shared question owned by Teacher A but does not want to worry about Teacher A making changes.  Teacher B then makes a copy of the shared question to use in the quiz.  Since Teacher B is now the owner of the copy, he can edit the copy and only affect his students.

4) Teacher A and Teacher B work collaboratively on the questions and decide to give each other editing rights to all the questions that they own by using a group.  This is done so that any mistakes or improvements can be made quickly by whoever finds the mistake and propogated out.

I'm sure there are many options I'm missing in here but that is some thoughts to start with.

To me what is natural and expected is the same way that many computer systems handle shared files.  Define an owner who has read, write, and delete permissions.  Define a group that can have any combination of read, write, and delete permissions.  Allow the owner of the files to assign permissions as desired.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Paolo Oprandi -

Hi Joshua and Jean-Michel,

Thanks for your input.

It is a question bank model or repository model which I am trying to encourage Moodle to adopt for its quizzes.

I believe we can't have it all ways without introducing unnecessary complexity.

Imagine you were using a question repository outside of Moodle

Would it be reasonable that the questions you copy from the bank stay in the state that they were when you copied them?

Well that is the way I think it should be.

Would it be surprising if the questions were updated when the questions in the question bank were updated without a manual sync?

I think it would.

Perhaps a nice-to-have may be an automated push feature which updates the question which have been copied from it

Or perhaps you could have the option to use questions directly from the question bank so changes made would be reflected in your quiz (as I still imagine random question types would work).

But both these solutions come at the price of adding complexity.

smile

by Joshua Bragg -

I do use a repository external to Moodle for my files. With the inclusion of an alias, my files do update automatically.

I really think that if I update something in a repository then it should update elsewhere automatically. In fact the entire inclusion of the alias concept for the Moodle repositories was added because so many people complained about the new file storage system.

I don't think it is surprising at all that auto-updates are the way it works. What would be the point of having an external file repository in Moodle if it doesn't auto-update? Why should it be different for questions?

Essentially we already have the ability to do what you're suggesting. If you have questions that you don't want to auto update and that are shared, then you should be making a copy of that question to put in a different location.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Tim Hunt -
This is a good point. Since Moodle 2.0, a lot of work has been done on Moodle's 'File bank' during which a lot has been learned, and some conventions established. It would be good if any changes to Moodle's Question bank took advantage of that learning, and worked in a similar way.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Barbara Taylor -

In 1.9, I could create a quiz and a default category for that quiz would be created.  I could go to the question database and see that category and the quesions.  In 2.4, that isn't working and is causing a lot of problems for our instructors who create quizzes and what to create a mid-term exam based on those quiz questions.  However, when they create the quiz activity, they can no longer see the previous quiz categories to choose questions to include in the mid-term.  Here is a graphic of what I think we are missing.  If we could just see the Question Categories for "Quiz", I think it would solve our problem.  Is it there and just hidden?  Or did this get dropped from 1.9 to 2.4?

Thank you.

In reply to Barbara Taylor

by Jamie Pratt -

Hi Barbara,

In Moodle 2.0 question contexts were introduced. The graphic you link to actually shows categories in the different contexts. Their are four contexts in which you can share questions :

• Activity context : questions only available to one activity module.
  • Course context : questions available to all activity modules in a course and within the course from the 'Questions' link in the course Settings block.
  • Course category contexts : questions available to all activity modules and courses in the course category (remember one course category can contain other course categories, you can share your questions in any parent course category).
  • Core System context : questions available in all courses and activities on your site.

So if you are creating questions in the Quiz activity context then the questions will only be available in that one quiz. If you want to use them elsewhere in the course put them in the course context. Or user a 'higher' context to share the questions more widely.

In the category select box when editing a question you can see which context each category is contained in.

Jamie

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Kevin Wiliarty -

I realize this thread has been around for a while, but the challenges with the question back continue, and I have three more observations to add -- situations that a Question bank overhaul might want also to address:

1. Renaming a Quiz activity does not trigger a renaming of the default activity-level category, even when the category is simply named after the activity.
    1. Let's say i create "Quiz 1" and use the activity context category "Default for Quiz 1" for all the questions I create.
    2. Now I duplicate Quiz 1 because I want to use similar settings and similar questions.
    3. I rename the duplicated Quiz to "Quiz 2" but my activity context category is still called "Default for Quiz 1."
    4. Yes, the name of the context itself has been updated, and I do, in fact, have separate questions, but the name of the category is unchanged.
    5. Is it possible that renaming an activity ought also to rename the default activity-level category?
  2. From the course context, if I enter the question bank, I cannot access the activity-level categories.
    1. Neither can I, from the activity level, access any activity-level categories outside my current context.
    2. This makes it pretty difficult to copy questions from one activity-level category to another. 
    3. In fact, while I can move questions from an activity-level up to a course level, I do not apparently have an option to copy, even if that is how I preferred to manage things. I guess I can export and import... carefully.
  3. Last thing: It seems odd that even when renaming a question there is no dialog to find out whether the user wants to a) rename the question or b) create a new question.
In reply to Kevin Wiliarty

by Tim Hunt -

1. This is just a bug: MDL-3907. Not entirely trivial to fix, which is why it has not be done yet.

2. The is one aspect of the fundamental problem with the question bank. The specific issues you mention are things that annoy people at the OU, so doing something about this is sitting about half way down my todo list.

3. This is changing, hopefully for the better, in Moodle 2.8. If you want a preview, see http://qa.moodle.net/question/edit.php?courseid=2. There are now two icons for each question, edit and duplicate. There is no longer a 'Save as new question' button on the form.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Kevin Wiliarty -

Thanks, Tim. It's nice to know where things are, and the 2.8 handling (with separate edit and duplicate buttons) is a very welcome improvement.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by scott hallman -

HI Tim

great to know of new changes to quiz for 2.8. I have the question bank almost working properly. That is with templates and a new role for that category bank. The role can view, and copy the questions and even create a category. Thus the templates can't be edited, staff make a copy of the template (and unfortunately create a category). Then they can go to edit their copy and change the category. (however this would leave a whole lot of new categories in the Template/sample area, not ideal)

What I can't work out is why they can't move it to a course or other category since it is their question. And if I give them move rights then they could accidentally move the templates to anywhere. Would it be possible to enable them to move to any cat once they have made a duplicate?

In reply to scott hallman

by Tim Hunt -

I wonder whether we are correctly setting 'createdby' when a user duplicates a question? If not, that is a bug. Someone needs to check and file a bug if it is wrong. I'll do that later if no-one beats me to it.

Assuming we correctly record the person who duplicated the question as the creator, then giving them movemine, but now moveall, would work the way you want.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -

I just tested, and when you duplicate a question, the new question belongs to you, so no worries.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Ric Morte -

Joshua, the situation with a single teacher (or perhaps collaboration with just a very few teachers) is simpler than the situation with many teachers perhaps even on different campuses. For the most part I agree with you: shared questions are for sharing and, within that context, updates are bound to have an effect.

If I create a question and it's just plain wrong - but I don't spot the error and nor does anyone else until a student complains - then there is an imperative for that question to be corrected in every instance. This cannot happen if another teacher has made copies - and therein lies one of the danger of copies.

Another question might be improved with more recent science or world events or whatever. Here a choice as to whether to adopt those changes would seem useful.

In software versioning I am often told that a new version exists. I can check what the changes are before accepting or declining the new version. If a question is just plain wrong I cannot see the problem of pushing the change through - after all, why share if you don't like the benefits of sharing? If the question isn't wrong but somehow improved then I'd appreciate the choice.

If you share/collaborate there is a reasonable expectation of informing participants. Software can do this to some extent but team briefings/updates would also seem an essential feature. Three management functions are helpful:

a) this question is wrong and all instances will be updated

b) this question is wrong and if you have made copies they must be updated

c) this question is improved and you can consider updating it

a) requires a "push"; b) requires people communication and c) is possible only with versioning.

Ric