Moodle 2 and GPL3; Patents at risk

Moodle 2 and GPL3; Patents at risk

by Curtis Fornadley -
Number of replies: 53

Moodle 2 is now GPL 3;  M1.9.x is GPL2.  According to UCLA legal counsel on intellectual property GPL3 has a provision which “potentially opens up all of UC’s patents and overreaches with respect to patent rights beyond what the university is willing to agree to”

Each contributor grants you a non-­‐exclusive, worldwide, royalty-­‐free patent License under the contributor's essential patent claims, to make, use, sell, offer for sale, import and otherwise run modify and propagate the contents of its Contributor version"

For the time being we are allowed to work on bug fixes but the contribution of new code to M2 is currently suspended until further review by UCLA legal.

Why did Moodle change from GPL2 to GPL3?

Are other Universities faced with this issue?

Is there a possibility that Moodle 2 could go back to GPL2 or other license?

This issue has created great anxiety here at UCLA since the ability to actively participate in an open source application, where the work we do could be contributed back to the community, was one of the reasons for selecting Moodle in the first place.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Curtis Fornadley

Re: Moodle 2 and GPL3; Patents at risk

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

IANAL but the provision above appears to be intended to say that you must grant anyone (royalty-free) any of your patents that are required in order to run the code that you contributed.

I don't see why this would affect any other patents. Provided that you do not publicly distribute Moodle code which requires a patent that you intend to enforce (which would be an example of catastrophically bad behaviour in the open source world), it shouldn't cause a problem, should it? But perhaps the wording is not clear enough?

Have you looked at the Gnu site - is there an FAQ about this issue or anything?

--sam

In reply to sam marshall

by Hubert Chathi -

The specific clause from the GPL can only be understood in the context of the previous two paragraphs, which define "contributor version", and "essential patent claims".

IANAL either, but my reading of it is that you agree to license any patents required to run the code in the state that you release it, that is, both the existing code, and the code that you contributed.  So, for example, if you have a patent that covers the way the Moodle filesystem currently works, and you contribute to Moodle, even if your contribution is not related to the filesystem, then you grant a license to that particular license.  If, for example, you have another patent, and someone else contributes code that infringes on that patent, and you don't make any further contributions to Moodle, then you have not granted a patent license on the second patent.

But, as always, follow the advice of your laywers, and not some random guy on the Internet.

By the way, for reference/comparison, the Apache License and Mozilla Public License also contain similar clauses.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you have any intention of taking out software patents, or trying to enforce them agains anyone else, then I am very happy if you cannot run Moodle as a result.

Sadly, what you are saying is that if your boss thinks patents might be a good thing, you cannot contribute to the Moodle community, which sucks.

I fear you will just have to try to educate them. Good luck. http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/general/intellectual/againstfinal.htm

Anyway, I applauded the addition of the patent bits to GPL3, and was glad that Moodle switched.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Curtis Fornadley -

The point legal is making is that the language is written so that all UC patents are exposed.  We have no plans or desires to patent anything connected to Moodle or Course Management Systems.

For UC patents (medicine and the sciences) are a good thing, in fact they help pay for the larger institution.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"For UC patents (medicine and the sciences) are a good thing, in fact they help pay for the larger institution."

But do you consider software patents a good thing for UC?

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi Curtis,

As with others here, IANAL, but the language doesn't sound to me at all like it's exposing all UC patents when you contribute.  Here's the relevant part of Section 11 (Patents), with emphasis added by me:

A “contributor” is a copyright holder who authorizes use under this License of the Program or a work on which the Program is based. The work thus licensed is called the contributor's “contributor version”.

A contributor's “essential patent claims” are all patent claims owned or controlled by the contributor, whether already acquired or hereafter acquired, that would be infringed by some manner, permitted by this License, of making, using, or selling its contributor version, but do not include claims that would be infringed only as a consequence of further modification of the contributor version. For purposes of this definition, “control” includes the right to grant patent sublicenses in a manner consistent with the requirements of this License.

Each contributor grants you a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free patent license under the contributor's essential patent claims, to make, use, sell, offer for sale, import and otherwise run, modify and propagate the contents of its contributor version.

Given that "the contributor's essential patent claims" are defined as being those claims which would be infringed by some act (copying, using, distributing, etc) upon the project (Moodle) which is permitted by the GPL v3 license, I don't see any way that this could be construed as granting a license for a patent which has nothing to do with Moodle.

In fact, the wording suggests to me that you're not even granting license for entire patents, but rather licenses for specific claims - i.e. the absolute minimum license required to allow all actions permitted by the GPLv3 license to be performed on your contributor version (i.e. Moodle with your modifications).  This is definitely a Good Thing for Moodle (and other open source projects), and if my understanding is sufficiently accurate, it's a Good Thing for contributors too, since it allows them to contribute to the project without opening up any more of their IP than they want to (if you're contributing to an open source project, you're implicitly endorsing it - contributing to a project and then subsequently claiming infringement would be uncouth, and is one of the things Section 11 seems to be intended to prevent).

-Paul

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Lawyers get rich on this kind of hair splitting. It is interesting that it is only in the US that Apple has "won" a verdict against Samsung. So patent laws themselves, particularly US patent laws, might become an issue. The complexity and negative impact of that complexity may see all GPL licenses out the door anyway. It will only take one court to decree that the basic idea of GPL licensing is not in keeping with normal perceptions of copyright or "fair use" or permission or other forms of licensing, and the whole thing can be thrown into chaos. I might be drawing a long bow here, but who knows what some smarmy lawyer can do with a silver tongue and a bit of flim-flamery.  

by Derek Chirnside -

Little side comment here: IANAL could be added to the glossary to avoid pressure on Google by people like me.  Something new every day.

by Hubert Chathi -

Regarding the issue of whether Moodle 2 can change licenses, it is extremely unlikely that it could happen.  Since contributors do not assign copyright to Moodle HQ, or anyone else, they retain the copyright to their contribution.  So the only way to change the license, either to GPL 2 or some other license, is to find every contributor and convince them all to change the license to their contribution.  The only reason that Moodle was able to switch from GPL 2 to GPL 3 is because the code was originally licensed under the GPL "either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version."

While this arrangement may seem inconvenient, it also ensures that nobody can make Moodle proprietary.

In reply to Hubert Chathi

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hubert's exactly right here.  We upgraded the license because GPL3 is better at protecting basic Freedom and because we could.  We will never downgrade the license.

Software patents (and especially the US ones) are immoral and should not be getting mixed up in Moodle code.  They just have potential to cause too much trouble for Moodle users.  I will very happily live without code that is encumbered by such madness, and will not cry if if the legal parasites that feed on patents go out of business.

Average of ratings: Useful (8)

The problem is it risks patents unrelated to their Moodle contributions

by Ray Morris -

This is why Linux isn't under GPLv3, but under v2.

Virtually all code I use is licensed under GPL or similar (Apache etc.) and I've contributed a lot of GPL code, so I'm certainly a fan of free software and of the GPL.  The legal department at the OP's university does have a valid concern, however.  It may be a somewhat unlikely risk, but it is a risk and it's reasonable for a large university system to measure the risk carefully. The problem is that the GPL clause in question reaches beyond patents related to their contributions to Moodle.  It requires also that they give up patents if someone ELSE submits something to Moodle, even if the other party does so illegally.

I'll explain.

Our agency is a very small part of a large university system.  Other parts of the university do big research and that big science is partly funded by licensing patents to the technology it generates. So the univerity has a bunch of patents and those are important because they fund research.  The university also contributes to Moodle, by employing me full time to mostly work on Moodle.  That of course is good for Moodle to have the school pay me $XX,XXX to work on Moodle all day.

Suppose someone sees our school's new biometrics research which allows people to easily and reliably authenticate via webcam or whatever. Maybe it's a commmercial business who wants to use some new technique the university's research developed and patented.  The company can kill the school's patent by submitting infringing code to Moodle.  An hour later, when I submit a fix for an unrelated typo somewhere in Moodle, we've just given up the biometrics patent.  

That's the problem with the GPL 3 language - it requires you to give up patents that have nothing to do with your work on Moodle.

The language should say "patents related to to what you contribute".  Instead it requires you to give up all patents related to anyting in Moodle, to contributions you might not even know about, just by contributing some other part.

In fact the patents may be unrelated to Moodle, but if someone who wants to kill the patent is able to get an infringing module in, that kills our patent and potentially a LOT of revenue.

The univeristy prefers to pay me to contribute to Moodle, but if doing so puts at risk their $XX MILLION patent portfolio, it's only reasonable that they consider a) using Moodle, but contributing nothing or b) buying some proprietary LMS.

Someone asked if software patents are valuable.  The GPL doesn't stop at software patents. It kills any and all patents that Moodle could be used to to infringe.  

PS - if nothing else, software patents are valuable for defending against someone else's patent misconduct.

Don't take my word for it.  Thisis what the primary kernel developers had to say:

it would potentially jeopardise the entire patent portfolio of a company simply by the act of placing a GPLv3 licensed programme on their website.

29 principal kernel developers were asked if they'd go to GPLv3. 28 said no. Only ONE of the principal developers was okay with GPL3 and the overreach of the patent clause is a major reason why. 

In reply to Ray Morris

Re: The problem is it risks patents unrelated to their Moodle contributions

by Paul Nicholls -

Whilst I'm still not a lawyer, I think that the situation you describe is rather unlikely (particularly with Moodle):

• Not only would some unscrupulous person have to submit code which infringes your (unrelated) patent, but Moodle HQ would have to integrate it into the official HQ repository (unless you're pulling your code from somewhere else, which you probably shouldn't except for perhaps the occasional patch that you've looked over already, if you need it before it's integrated by HQ).  Unless HQ were in on it (it should take multiple people at HQ before a contribution makes it in to core), the contribution would simply be rejected as irrelevant.
  • Even assuming it gets in to core somehow, GPLv3 specifically refers to the "contributor version" - so as long as you're careful about what you include in the version which you make available, you shouldn't be at risk of exposing any unrelated patents.  That said, the "contributor version" thing might actually be a minor loophole which would allow those who hold software patents to avoid granting licenses - though I'm really not sure how this all works when code is merged into core from a contributor version (i.e. an institution's public repo).
  • Although the real world doesn't always work exactly as it ideally should, incorporating code into your build without knowing what it is or does isn't a good idea.  Somebody sneaking a backdoor into core that allows them to gain unauthorised access to entire Moodle sites (or even to the servers hosting those sites) is probably more likely than somebody trying out the roundabout patent trickery.  As long as there's no legal precedent, the patent trickery is also a rather risky option - the payoff would have to either be massive in relation to the legal risk or miniscule (with an equally small risk) for somebody to risk it.
  • The whole situation also depends on one key point: ownership of the IP.  Is the legal entity which holds the IP that UCLA (in this case) is worried about the same legal entity which is contributing code to Moodle?  If so (and once again, IASNAL), might there be other (and perhaps, more legitimate) reasons that it might be a bad idea?  By the logic which exposes the patents to the claimed GPLv3 loophole, couldn't the Moodle developer - or anybody else employed by the same institution - simply go ahead and make use of that patent, without any risk of being done for infringement (unless expressly forbidden by their contract, I guess)?  In any case, it shouldn't be difficult to isolate valuable IP from GPLv3-licensed projects - unless the IP is actually related to the project.

Ray, are you willing to share your source for the bit about the kernel developers?  The "28 of 29 principal kernel developers said no to GPLv3" thing seems to be related to a survey conducted based on the then-current draft of GPLv3; it may be that their concerns regarding the patent section have actually been addressed since then, but they're just too stubborn (and/or lazy) to re-evaluate based on the final version - or they're also unsure whether it's still an issue, due to the patent clause not being crystal clear.

by Ray Morris -

I agree, to some extent, that the risk is fairly small, but it's real - UCLA's lawyers aren't being dumb to consider it.  Were I advising an institution, in most cases I'd say it was an acceptable risk, but for large institutions like UCLA or my own university defensive measures such as you mentioned wuld be very wise.

It's actually very much like a cross-site-scripting attack.  Permissions granted in one context can inappropriately extend to other contexts, either trough mistake or malfeasance. Call it a cross-site-patent attack. 

In 1998 we could only think of rather contrived examples of cross-site-scripting attacks, so some people concluding it was rather unlikely to ever be a problem.  Others saw the hole and warned that bad scenarios would end up happening unless the problem was addressed via the same-origin policy and other mitigations.  Today examples of cross-site patent attacks may be a little contrived, but they do demonstrate the potential exists.

Not only would some unscrupulous person have to submit code which infringes your (unrelated) patent, but Moodle HQ would have to integrate it into the official HQ repository. Unless HQ were in on it ... the contribution would simply be rejected as irrelevant

Consider for example the biometric authentication I mentioned.  It's plausible that someone could contribute an authentication module for Moodle and it could be committed without any need for HQ to be "in on it".  That may be a bit contrived, but it's no more contrived than the cross-site attack scenarios we predicted in 1990s and we know cross-site-scripting has caused billions of dollars of total damage in the last fifteen years.

GPLv3 specifically refers to the "contributor version" - so as long as you're careful about what you include in the version which you make available, you shouldn't be at risk of exposing any unrelated patents. 

"Contributor version" is NOT the "the version you make available".  If it were defined as such, that would certainly help. That's one of many problems with with that section actually says as opposed to what it should say. In the GPL3, "contributor version" has a far wider definition.  It is a) "the work" (Moodle) and any other work Moodle has code derived from (such as ADODB).  "The work" under GPL3 is Moodle and the contributor version as any version which includes code we've contributed.  The actual wording is it's a version in which we a contributor "authorizes use" of our code.  

So, somone conributes something which infringes a patent developed by some other part of the university, 600 miles away. A week a later I fix in typo in the default theme.  My contribution authorizes use for that version of Moodle, which also happens to contain infringing code in some other module.  

There are two types of overreach happening - the clause extends to all 1.1 million lines of Moodle, to modules I may have never seen before, much less contributed, and it extends to all patents owned OR CONTROLLED by my organization. So it overreaches in the code it requires me to bless all of Moodle, not just the modules I work on or even modules I've heard of, and it overreaches on the other side by going at all patents controlled by the organization, including patents I've never heard of.

Although the real world doesn't always work exactly as it ideally should, incorporating code into your build without knowing what it is or does isn't a good idea.

You read and understood all 1.1 million lines of Moodle before you contributed anything?  If you had, you still would know what all was in there because WHILE you were reading, more code was being contributed and code was being changed.  By the time you read and understood the SCORM module, it had already been changed while you were reading it. Therefore it's smply not possible for any one human to know every bit of Moodle. 

The whole situation also depends on one key point: ownership of the IP.  Is the legal entity which holds the IP that UCLA (in this case) is worried about the same legal entity which is contributing code to Moodle? 

One can, if you do it carefully.  Specifically, the legal entity who owns and therefore contributes the copyright to the code must not have right to license the patent. Going the opposite direction won't work, the GPL3 tries to prevent that defense.  Remember splitting ownership is not enough.  Under GPL3, you automatically license any patents which you can license, whether you own them or not.

Ray, are you willing to share your source for the bit about the kernel developers?  The "28 of 29 principal kernel developers said no to GPLv3" thing seems to be related to a survey conducted based on the then-current draft of GPLv3;

I don't believe the fial version "fixed" the problems with the patent clause in any significant way since this was written:

http://lwn.net/Articles/200422/

You can of course see the devel list for full discussion at each stage, including after the final draft was approved.  The ultimate final statement as to kernel's position on GPL3 is:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=blob_plain;f=COPYING;hb=HEAD

They, the kernel developers, ultimately decided against GPL3.  Peruse the discussion list of you want to see how much of a landslide it was against GPL3.

The last few paragraphs of Linus' statement here also sum up nicely how many developers feel about it:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2006/9/25/161

it may be that their concerns regarding the patent section have actually been addressed since then, but they're just too stubborn (and/or lazy)

Any position predicated on the kernel development team being lazy, stupid, or stubborn is rather tenuous. With about 25 - 30 commits per day, I can assure you they (we) are not lazy.  As a (tiny) contributor to the kernel, I am offended by that suggestion.

No, it has much more to do with the fact that they feel it is morally wrong to take someone else's code and their rights to it, which they contributed to an open source project for your enjoyment, and misappropriate it to fight content DRM, patents, secured systems and other issues entirely unrelated to the stated goals of the project they contribted to, Moodle.  

For example, YOU may feel that that all content should free and that after spending over a million dollars developing coursework a school should not use anti-circumvetion measures to protect their investment.  I might even agree with you.  However, other people who have contributed to Moodle may disagree.  They may well feed their families by producing such content.  To take their which they contributed code and use their contributions to prevent them from protecting their content is wrong and that' what GPLv3 does.  It prevents them from protecting their work using anti-circumvention measures.  I can decide to use MY code license in that way, but I have no moral standing to use SOMEONE ELSE'S contributions to club them or a third party over the head in regards the content the present via Moodle.  No, it's not laziness, it' that tey actually have a valid concern their.  You may disagree.  You may think that you have a right to take my code and use it to attack other people's patents.  They simply don't think that's right.

In reply to Ray Morris

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm genuinely not trying to be argumentative but, if you or your institution is concerned about the GPL v3 license, then don't contribute code to Moodle. It doesn't stop you developing Moodle for your own use - nobody can force you to share it and if you don't use it outside of your own control the patent situation is irrelevant.

It's a shame if that's the position you take, but I know you won't be the first. A lot of large institutions can't get their head around open source development never mind the intracacies of the GPL.

Has anybody thought to ask the GPL people directly for clarification on this point? I would of thought it was in their interests to be clear.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Ray Morris -

Has anybody thought to ask the GPL people directly for clarification on this point?  I would of thought it was in their interests to be clear.

From GNU.org:
Does GPLv3 have a “patent retaliation clause”? (#v3PatentRetaliation)

In effect, yes. Section 10 prohibits people who convey the software from filing patent suits

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#v3PatentRetaliation

"The GPL people" is basically Richard Stallman. Google "Stallman patents" for many papers and talks he's given where it makes it abundantly clear that his GOAL is to destroy patents. The viral nature and broad reach of the patent killing clauses isn't accidental, it's the goal. 

On fsfe.org, Stallman clearly states that any contribution whatsoever is sufficient to kill your patents:

"Those that contribute to the development of the program, that make any changes at all, give an affirmative patent licence to all downstream recipients."

In reply to Ray Morris

by Howard Miller -

FWIW, I believe he is right. I struggle to see the worth of software patents. However, I am well aware that others will strongly disagree.

And, by the way, writing code is more-or-less my day job.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Ray Morris -

I'm curious, do you believe he is right that "all patents are bad" or that "I should take YOUR copyright and use it as a weapon in my own political fight, against patents or anything else"?  

Personally, I think that far too many software related patents have been issued in the US, and too many that are overly broad.  I wouldn't go so far as to say "software related patents are bad" because in the 21st century that's the same as saying "patents are bad" and I happen to believe that proper patents are good.  We just have way too many bad patents being issued.  

However, even if all patents were bad, I do not belive that would give me the right to take your rights to your code, released under the copyright terms of GPL, and misappropriate it as a weapon against patents, DRM, liberalism, environmentalism, or any other cause. I believe in respecting your rights as the author of your code  and if you didn't affirmately ask that your copyright be turned into a such a weapon, I would never use it in that way.  Who knows, Stallman IS a radical, so GPLv4 might require that you donate to som particular political party.  Even if I agree with that party, I'd never put YOUR code under such a license.  (Which morally is what we did when we took people's v2 Moodle contributions and put them under v3, we put them under a license the author hadn't agreed to)*.

* Legally, they agreed to "version 2 or later".  The uproar in the open source community around v3 makes it clear that many, many authors expected "or later" would be a copyright license, not patent license, so there was no informed consent for licensing their work under v3.

In reply to Ray Morris

by Howard Miller -

Personally, if you find something I write useful that I have made available (bearing in mind that the GPL doesn't make me give it to you in the first place) then good luck to you. I'd rather you didn't use it to misrepresent me, but it's a chance I'll take.

On the broader point, I think that software patents have become utterly devalued by, mostly, becoming an end in themselves. The phrase is hackneyed but nevertheless true - the only people who are benefiting are lawyers. I believe that there is a possible situation where patents could be granted for genuine work that actually involved some effort and research rather than some vague, broad concept. However, that isn't what's happened and I think no software patents at all is preferable to the farce we have at the moment. It's no benefit to anybody actually writing code.

In reply to Ray Morris

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi Ray,

Thanks for expanding on your position, and for providing those links related to the kernel / Linus.

As for your hypothetical biometric authentication module, I would be incredibly surprised if such a module was incorporated into core without having first proven itself as a standalone third-party module - and proven to be an incredibly popular one.  That said, I take your point about XSS - though as I said earlier, if legal precedent was set that the GPLv3 patent attack was not valid (for whatever reason), the simple fact that it didn't work ought to be sufficient to stop anybody else doing it.

My mistake - on closer inspection, you seem to be correct about the definition of a Contributor Version; I somehow seem to have managed to read it almost backwards before (I probably hadn't had enough coffee).

I apologise if my statement about the kernel developers offended you (or anyone else) - I didn't intend to insinuate that the kernel devs are lazy and/or stubborn (I'm well aware that an awful lot of work goes into the kernel on an ongoing basis); I was trying to suggest that the assumption may have simply been made (possibly due to laziness or stubbornness) that the final version did not adequately resolve the issues, without thorough investigation being done.  That's not even necessarily a negative thing - since GPLv2 seems to be such a good match for the Linux kernel, why waste any more time on a license which, during the draft phase, had already shown that it may be less desirable?  I also don't appreciate you putting words into my mouth (I certainly never suggested that kernel developers were stupid - if you think that my comment about the lack of clarity in the GPLv3 is somehow a reflection on the intelligence of kernel developers, please think again).

It's apparent that there are certain clauses in GPLv3 which some people take issue with and others are willing to accept.  The reality of the situation is that Moodle 2 is licensed under GPLv3 - so, as Howard said, if you and/or your institution are concerned about GPLv3, either take measures to work around those concerns, or don't contribute.  It's a pity if it comes to the latter, but that's life.

Curtis (and anyone else caught up in similar situations), I'd appreciate it (and I'm sure others here would, too) if you're able to give us an update when you hear back from legal.  Likewise, if anyone has already been through this, please let us know how it turned out.

by Ray Morris -

Thank you for your post, Paul. I apologizing for adding the word "stupid" along with "stubborn or lazy" into your sentence by implication.  

It's apparent that there are certain clauses in GPLv3 which some people take issue with and others are willing to accept.  The reality of the situation is that Moodle 2 is licensed under GPLv3 - so, as Howard said, if you and/or your institution are concerned about GPLv3, either take measures to work around those concerns, or don't contribute. 

That's a good summary, I think.  The concerns are real, but for most people they aren't deal breakers.  

On a side note re switching projects to GPLv3 for anyone considering doing so, the other major issue is that you would no longer be able to use any GPLv2 code.  So for example if ADODB, jquery, or YUI had been licensed GPLv2 rather than BSD, Moodle couldn't use them in a GPLv3 project and would have to remain GPLv2 itself. (Though "v2 or later" code could be used).

by Ray Morris -

To directly address the OPs problem in a practical way, you might ask if you, Curtis Fornadley, would be allowed to indvidually contribute code from home.  In that case, only patents you personally control would be affected.

UCLA would have the same rights either way, since it's a derived work based on Moodle they have GPLv3 rights either way. Owning the copyright on the derived work has basically zero legal affect since it's under GPL.  They would let you retain the worthless "ownership" personally so that you could contribute it personally.

In reply to Ray Morris

by Colin Fraser -

Questions and answers, counter questions and such are getting longer and longer. Some are worthy of a legal volume, but simply put, if I understand what the GPL is about, it says, a) You created this software. b) you decided that others can use it in ways they want, can add to it, can release it, can rewrite parts, can do basically anything they want with it, but you are still the creator, the original source of that software. And then this point, c) If you take that software, make changes and do not release those changes, you cannot claim them as copyrighted or patented in any way - it is only with public knowledge and actual release can you say they are your changes. This protects anyone who may make the same changes when those changes have not been placed in the public arena. Alternatively, if you can prove that you made your changes prior to any similar change, then you would be equally protected, I suspect. That is what Stallman and Moglen seem to be saying was their intent. In this case, even if the words of the GPLv3 do not completely accurately reflect this view, any court would consider the intent of the authors when it is publicly announced, spoken about by the authors. Courts do that with any such documents, even if written centuries before and authors' actual intents have been lost to the mists of time.  

If anyone chooses not to contribute publicly to Moodle development, that is their decision. However, why not offer the code to Moodle.org for inclusion, or lt least inform Moodle.org of what changes you have made and when. Would this not offer a form of insurance? If the changes are beneficial to Moodle generally, then perhaps a negotiation between the developer and Moodle could occur with the aim of getting those changes made public - in whatever way the negotiation develops.  That would protect everyone, would it not?    

Basically, my earlier comment was closer to the mark than I thought. Lawyers make lots of money splitting these kinds of hairs and in the US, I suspect that a lot of the patent litigation is frivilous at best, malicious at worst. I suggest the only way to avoid such issues is to simply make everything public as it is done. No hiding behind legal fictions or fears - but that does not suit blood-sucking vampires. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Hubert Chathi -

If you take that software, make changes and do not release those changes, you cannot claim them as copyrighted or patented in any way - it is only with public knowledge and actual release can you say they are your changes. This protects anyone who may make the same changes when those changes have not been placed in the public arena.

Not quite.  The GPL only requires you to grant rights to people to whom you distribute the software, so if you don't distribute the software to anyone, then you don't need to grant rights to anyone.

by Colin Fraser -

If you do not distribute the altered software, how can anyone be reasonably expected to know that any such alteration exists? How can you protect your intellectual property if you do not distribute? How can you legitimately claim it as "your intellectual property" if you do not make anyone aware that you have done this work and it is useful?

This whole discussion is a legal nonsense anyway, who here are lawyers?

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Hubert Chathi -

by Colin Fraser -

Corporate espionage? Oh please... the grand conspiracy of the Right it's all about theft and corruption.

Simple theft? I suspect that people who steal are either more worried about the contents of their stomache than they are the contents of a hard drive, or are really in it for the thrills, the risk of getting caught.  

We are drawing long bows here are we not?

I keep coming back to my earlier points, public is protection. Apple's got it wrong, and so have Samsung, but for different reasons I suspect. It is seriously funny that China managed to avoid patent law for millennia, and has still, somehow, managed to survive.

I also suggest that as long as Martin, or Moodle.org is running the software under its current conditions, most of these issues will not be problems for contributors, but rather for Moodle.org to sort out. Simply put, the key patents are invested in Martin. Martin wants to stay true to the spirit and letter of Open Source. If contributors want to patent their contributions, as long as they too stick with Martin's attitude, then there should not be any issue for contributors at all. 

All patent disputes are about sales and money, Apple/Samsung being the latest and most inane. If you recognise that quality of product is paramount and charge for service, rather than product, you are going to make a lot more money than you would just for product. That, I suggest is at the core of Open Source.   

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Hubert Chathi -

You asked a question, and I gave an answer.  I'm not sure why you're knocking me down.  But if you didn't like that answer, then how about the case of a former (or even current) employee who worked on the private modifications.  They would have knowledge of the modifications, but might not be allowed to distribute the changes publicly.

by Colin Fraser -
Sorry, Hubert, I am not trying to "knock you down". The point I was trying to make, obviously badly, was that these questions are beyond most peoples experiences. The GPL, irrespective of which version, is designed to prevent the sharks from taking control of something. The examples used are well outside my experience and I would never think of such things, let alone consider them as important. It is a sad reflection of our world that other people would - or perhaps an indication of my own naivity - either one.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Hubert Chathi -
Colin, I think that we agree on most things. Most of the nuances of the GPL (and other licenses) is beyond most peoples' experiences. The GPL was written by people with much more legal experience than you and I will probably ever have combined, and there was a lot of public consultation in the writing of the GPL 3. In general, I trust that the GPL 3 was written in the best way that the authors were able to, in order to fulfill their desired purposes. Even the FSF failed to consider some situations when writing the GPL 2 (e.g. "Tivoization" and software patents), which was one of the reasons the GPL 3 was written. I think that we are fortunate to have people who can address those situations for us.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Ray Morris -
> However, why not offer the code to Moodle.org for inclusion, or lt least inform Moodle.org of what changes you have made and when. that's what this whole tread is about. Answer - because by doing so, under GPLv3, you could be risking ALL of your company's patents. > Would this not offer a form of insurance? Quite the opposite. The GPL says that if you contribute to an open source project, you GIVE UP any patents that could be in any way related to any part of that project. If you do NOT contribute, GPLv3 can do nothing to your patents. Only by contributing would you be agreeing to give up your patents under the GPLv3 terms. The bad part about contributing is that the way GPLv3 is written, it takes away your patent rights to patents which have nothing at all to do with your contribution. You lose patents that affect code in Moodle modules that you may have never even heard of. That said, you may notice we contribute code a few times per week. There are good reasons to contribute, and version 3 of the GPL creates two big reasons to NOT contribute. On balance, we decide to contribute anyway, but our developers have a meeting later to go over all the patents we have to watch for, because if we contribute any little typo fix to a project which and some other person contributes code which infringes a patent, we lose the patent.
In reply to Ray Morris

by Curtis Fornadley -

We are still waiting for a final statement from legal on this. What we have heard so far:

Q: Does a UC Developer have the option of contributing code that he or she developed under his or her own name, instead of the UC Regents name?

A: This might be a good option, but it is unclear if it will solve the problem (for some complicated legal reasons), but it is a potential option.

by Curtis Fornadley -

Well a year and a half later and the University of California (UC) have not reached a solution on this.  Here is the current suggestion from our legal consul.

"Assign away any rights we (UCLA and other UC's) have in the code we write to the Moodle organization  Technically, the UC lawyers would assign it away with the programmers but this would divest it from any UC patents and make it completely risk free."

Would this work?  Would Moodle.org accept this code without any connection to UC

Thanks for any input

by Martín Langhoff -
I do not speak for Moodle.org/Moodle.com. However I have some formal training in patent law and long involvement with Moodle.

My understanding is that what your lawyers are proposing, specifically, is to assign the copyright to Moodle.com or the Moodle Foundation.

If UC does have patents in the software field, this assignment would protect UC's patents... and allow UC to later threaten Moodle users and developers over patent infringement. I am not saying you would, or the current management would, but time and management changes can lead to strange places sometimes. Recent history has a large Linux-centric company playing that exact maneuver against the Linux kernel (SCO vs IBM case).

My personal recommendation would be to complement the copyright assignment with a covenant not to sue developers and users of Moodle and Moodle derivatives over patent infringement related to the use of Moodle.

This may all seem like theoretical grumbling but it isn't. Moodle is unfortunately a target in this immoral racket. Anyone not aware of the Blackboard patent fracas should read https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=50597 , http://mfeldstein.com/blackboard_patent_celebrity_death_match/ and https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=60794 .
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Actually even inside the Moodle organisation we don't assign any rights to the organisation.  I've told all our programmers to copyright any files they make under their own personal names, just like any other contributor.

I really can't see any problems with your people doing exactly the same for any Moodle code, but obviously the lawyers are beyond rational behaviour.  So put someone else's name on the code, whatever, the beauty of GPL in Moodle is that it makes no difference who owns the copyright.   If you can't find anybody else to put their name on any code you want to share with us then I'm very happy for you to use my name for the copyright statement.

ie the statement looks like http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Coding_style#Files : you can add an @author line so the actual authors get some credit too:

@copyright 2014 Martin Dougiamas (or your dog, whoever you want)
@author Curtis Fornadley

Cheers,
Martin

P.S. Martin Langhoff mentioned the "Moodle Foundation" above.   This does not and has not ever existed.  The full legal name of the only Moodle organisation is "Moodle Pty Ltd as Trustee for the Moodle Trust" and that doesn't own anything.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Nick Thompson -

Just in case anyone else is still following this thread, we've finally resolved this and are able to contribute back to Moodle core again (2 1/2 years later...).

Basically we just did exactly what Martin Suggested, we signed over our Moodle copyrights of any code that we contribute back to Martin Dougiamas. It actually took longer than expected since the legal team here at UCLA actually wanted us to physically sign a contract assigning Martin the copyright (rather than us just adding the @copyright like he originally suggested.

Glad this is finally resolved.

by Bob Puffer -

Hi Curtis, this came up in the conference call yesterday also and we concluded that your consul requiring GPL v.2 doesn't hinder someone else coming along, adding a line of code (or blank line) and releasing the same under GPL v.3. GPL allows more lenient not more strict changes. This would release your school system from any indemnity. I know there are some things you have we want and it'd be a lot cleaner if it went to Moodle core.  Anybody else from the call chime in if I've misstated anything.

by Conn Warwicker -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

So how does this change affect the development of Moodle plugins?

Are we required to release all blocks/mods/etc... under GPL 3? Or can we use other licenses?

I notice this line in the GPL 3 documentation:

"Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things."

I'm not very well up on these legal things, does that mean that if we develop a plugin and release it for free for the community, other people can take that plugin and sell it?

Cheers.

In reply to Conn Warwicker

by Just H -

Yes, as has always been the case. Nothing stopping you selling open source software as long as you comply with the licence.

In reply to Just H

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You can take the source of a GPL program and sell it for whatever you can get them to pay and still be compliant with the licence. If that software is Moodle you might need to change the name to comply with it's use of Trademark law, but once you have done that you can put it up for sale. The GPL has never restricted a persons right to sell software created under it, it does however limit what restrictions you can place on anyone you sell the software to.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Marcus

You have ommited an important detail: You can sell the copy, true, but you have to give the buyer the full source code of what you sell in human readable form together with a copy of the GPL.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Just H -

No important detail omitted at all. Both Marcus and I stated it has to comply with the licence ergo, supply the code (which doesn't include giving a copy of the GPL, a link suffices).

In reply to Just H

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Jez

I was talking to Marcus about his statement. I you ask my comment on your post, I would say, "it has to comply with the licence" is not very informative. You could have as well said, "Read the GPL"!

About the tangent: (which doesn't include giving a copy of the GPL, a link suffices)
This is what http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html says under "How to Apply These Terms to Your New Programs":
===
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/­>.
===
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Marcus Green -
The GPL is surprisingly readable for a software license, though I write as someone who has enjoyed reading many software licences which probably means i don't live on planet normal. One of the most readable and worthwhile parts is the pre-amble. You can get some idea of the spirit of the license through the idea that if you make software available under the GPL, when you do so you cannot remove any of the rights you had under the licences. But perhaps that comes back to the circular "read the license", argument (and it is surprisingly readable, see start of this post)

software license

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It has happened in the past - there are examples of themes released in the community being taken and sold commercially with very minor changes (in one instance I know of there was no more than a colour change).

I'm not talking about someone being paid to recolour and brand an existing theme for a specific institution, but about themes put on the market which are basically ones previously released in the moodle database.

It's there under GPL, so it can be done legally - the bit I don't understand is why someone would pay for something which is already available free. But that's the nature of how some people think/work I guess.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Conn Warwicker -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Well I would imagine they don't know they can get it for free in that case.

It just seems wrong to me that you can put a lot of work into developments and release them for people to use for free and then have someone come along and take your work, do nothing but repackage or rename it and make money off it from unsuspecting people. 

by Just H -

100% agree with you, over the years I have come across examples now and then of people that are .... ethically challenged ... shall I say sad

But the reality is they are allowed to under the terms of the licence - just as anyone who buys it is allowed to give whatever it is back to the world for free.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Ray Morris -

the bit I don't understand is why someone would pay for something which is already available free. But that's the nature of how some people think/work I guess.

Other than the case where they simply don't know they can get it for free, the person selling it might package it such that it is more convenient or useful in some way. One example is FOSS software which is readily available for normal Linux, but hasn't been packaged as an Android app Android is a form of Linux).  Someone might pay 99 cents for a copy that's in the app sore rather than go download the source code, cross-compile it for Android, etc.

An example for Moodle specifically would be if someone chose a bunch of third-party plugins, a theme, and configuration settings to set up Moodle to work well for ____.  Maybe for higher-stakes assessments, or for a certain field or whatever.  They might then sell "Mdl for Medical" for $199, all setup and ready to go for institutions teaching in the medical field. Or they might sell it pre-packaged with all of the materials required to comply with US labor laws, like non-discrimination notices, etc., and setup for easy compliance reporting, showing tat all employees had viewed the notices.

In reply to Ray Morris

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

And thats where you hit the grey areas Ray - are you then paying for the software, or for the work done in packaging it in a specific way? A commodity, or a service?

I would happily pay for someone to package a piece of software so I dont have to compile it, or to package a certain group of moodle settings and plugins, but thats different to someone just taking a theme or a plugin and putting it on another site, basically unaltererd and charging for it. Legal under the GPL yes, morally right - questionable?

I think your example is more along the lines of the kind of service offered quite appropriately by many moodle partners - it adds value and they charge for that added value.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Conn,

This has been discussed before in another thread - somewhere!  But my understanding after looking at that thread and the GPLv3 documents / FAQ etc. is that all Moodle plugins MUST be GPLv3 licensed.  This is because of this: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLModuleLicense and https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation.  This does not stop you charging for things, but you do have to provide the source code and the recipient could redistribute for free if they want.

But... currently there is a grey area, such as in themes, where certain elements that are not code such as 'images' are not covered by GPLv3 but instead restricted by Intellectual Property Rights etc. where some places do further restrict the theme by applying another license to those elements.  I'm a little hazy on this and would be interested in others views.

All of my moodle.org published plugins are freely available with no additional restrictions.  I only use SIL licensed fonts which is a GPL compatible license.

Think of this more as a 'service' orientated system where you pay to make improvements, bespoke customisations and support rather than paying for the software itself.

Lots of info here: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Kind regards,

Gareth