Facilty to moodle block on 2.3

Facilty to moodle block on 2.3

by Paul Smee -
Number of replies: 5

Hi All moodle folk

We currently run 1.9 on our live system and have facility to moodle block installed and running like a dream. (All running Windows)

The future (aka my new test) is CMIS on Windows mssql the moodle server running ubuntu Linux. LAMP installed.

I've followed the handy documents for installing the block in moodle 2.2+ and it appears to install the block, I then can configure it. (Using similar settings to the live system) but once configured the block doesn't appear in the "add blocks" drop down list.

I pressume I can trouble-shoot some how but I really don't know how or what to look at???? Any thoughts???

Cheers

Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Smee

Re: Facilty to moodle block on 2.3

by Marc Coyles -

The simple response is: this block isn't ready for 2.3, hence there isn't a 2.3 download.

However, I have exactly that version running in 2.3 and it shows up perfectly in the "Add Blocks" list... as long as you remember to do a find and replace on all the source code to replace the 2.2 table names with shorter table names that comply with 2.3's 28char limit.

You can check that it installed properly by checking Users > permissions > define roles... if, within there, you have listed Sitewide Staff, Sitewide Student, Sitewide Teacher, Sitewide Parent, and Parent listed, then it's install routines completed OK. If you don't have those in there, then something went wrong and caused the install process to prematurely bomb out.

If you head to "Manage Blocks", is it set to hidden in there per chance? That would cause it not to show when you go to add it...

In reply to Marc Coyles

by Paul Smee -

Thanks for the response Mark.

I got around the table issue by 'upping' the table name charcter limit setting in a config file somewhere.

I do have the "Sitewide" Staff, students, etc and vagely recall the install completing with a "sucess" messege.

I also checked to see if it was hidden but that's not the problem.

Could it be connected to the fact that we don't have the student ID number in the description field, it is the sAMaccountName or something like that. (The actual account login!!!)???

I might try again with moddle 2.2 or just start again from scratch, it's been a bit of a learning curve on the linux shell commands!!!

In reply to Paul Smee

by Paul Smee -

OK, me being a donkey! If you're not actually in a course then you can't add 'facility' and it doesn't appear in the list of blocks to add..... However, this takes me to the next error but I hope to sort the next one!!

I might have been a little optomistic I have moved on again but have an sql error when I try to add a group- "critical error: Ajax error! no modules found in facility using sql:'SELECT DISTINCT t.crsyear, tmoduleid, m.name FROM dbo.teachinggroups AS t LEFT JOIN dbo.module AS m ON..... etc"

I pressume I have a config error but again I'm not 100% where to take my trouble-shooting????

In reply to Paul Smee

Re: SQL now returns no results

by Paul Smee -

Here's my latest findings.... Running the SQL on the CMIS server in the MSsql interface it does return some results. Running the same commands on the linux/moodle server returns no results (using isql commands) it DOES connect and display the column/field names "crsyear, etc" but no data....... Does this mean anything to anybody????

In reply to Paul Smee

Re: Next problem!!!!

by Paul Smee -

Again school boy error. Our school has multiple databases and I had connected to the standarad database name from the linux server but when I was on the windows SQL server randomly browsed to the correct databse and successfully ran a query. (Not noticing the different databse names)....... What can I say, job done, I have 2.3 on linux and the facilit block working (ish)

Not that I have attempted this one but.... I'm not pulling student accounts into moodle. This is because in the "description" field I already have data, the student login is the same as the cmis number so I can match them using "sAMaccountName" but I don't know if this is something I can change???? Any thoughts on this one???????