Quickmail Sends Zip Files ... why?

Quickmail Sends Zip Files ... why?

by Mark Reyes -
Number of replies: 3

Quick question about Quickmail. Why, when one attaches a file to a Quickmail message, does Moodle send it as a zip file? The file is uploaded as a doc file, but comes through as a zip. The file does not exceed the upload limit.

Thanks,

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Reyes

Re: Quickmail Sends Zip Files ... why?

by Mat Cannings -

Hi Mark,

I think the zip file is to try to ensure the attachment is received by as many of the recipients as possible. Some email systems are picky as to the type of attachments they will receive whereas almost all will happily receive zip files. Hotmail and Google will reject emails that have certain file types attached to protect their users.

e.g. If you were to attach an .exe file it will almost certainly be rejected by most email servers but the zip would arrive.

Whether this is good or bad is a discussion in itself.

In reply to Mat Cannings

by jerry stapleton -

Greetings,

I have to admit that this zip file thing makes quickmail almost useless for me.  I'm a corporate user of Moodle and my students are anything but tech savvy.  Over half of them don't know how to handle a zip file...it's almost comical, they sort of freak.  Either way, I SURE wish there were an option to zip or not.  Also, a few client companies' email systems quarantine zip files. 

If anyone knows of a way to change this I'd be most grateful.  I always loved quickmail, but can hardly use it now because of this.

Thanks,

Jerry

In reply to Mat Cannings

by Jason Bennett -
It was my impression that many schools block emails with zip attachments because of the security risks. Our school has blocked them for a number of years. Whether this is still the security risk it was five years ago, I can't say, but for the moment nobody here gets emails with zip attachment. Zipping the file should at least be configurable.