From 1.9.9 to 2.2 on my own

From 1.9.9 to 2.2 on my own

by Ulrike Albers -
Number of replies: 13

Hallo,

I will have to do the upgrade on my own because tomorrow my site is not going to work any more (my server disables php 5.2). I'm really afraid because I'm not a computer scientist, and because I have some problems to understand the documentation and different explanations.

I would be really grateful if anybody could help me with one of my questions:

1. When do I to switch to php 5.3: before or after upgrade (2.2 does not work with 5.2, 1.9.9 does not work with 5.3) ?

2. I was told that upgrade = new installation, but in the moodle documentation (http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Upgrading_to_Moodle_2.0) it says "Lastly, consider not upgrading at all. It might be a good time to start with a completely fresh install of Moodle 2.0...." so this would mean it's too different things

>> if it's NOT the same, where on moodle.org can I find the "upgrade files" ?

>>> if it IS the same, what happens to all my configurations ? to the design ? - can I use the tool on my server which installs moodle (I just have to click) ?

3. I read I have to purge php cache: what is it, where can I find it (on the server ? on my moodle installation ? elsewhere ?) ?

4. I read I have to transfer any password salt values in my old config.php: what does that mean ?

5. I read I have to verify database schema before upgrading, but when I go to that link, it says: Upgrade, then to x, then Y...(upgrade first) -how to understand this ?

I have made all the backups, and I have made a copy of my moodle site; I uninstalled Nanogong plugin, and all server requirements shoul be ok.

Can you help me ?

Thank you very much...!

Ulrike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ulrike Albers

Re: From 1.9.9 to 2.2 on my own

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Ulrike

You have received a heap of misinformation!

1. You don't have to be a computer scientist to migrate a Moodle site.

1.b Even computer scientists can get anxious.
smile

2. Moodle 1.9 runs fine with PHP 5.3. Well, if the version is greater than 5.3.2 http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Installing_Moodle#Software.

What I know from experience, later releases of 1.9 works with 5.3.3. Independent of this PHP shift, you should consider upgrading to 1.9.latest (19 right now). This is how: http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Moodle_migration.

3. Upgrade != new installation. Compare http://docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrading with http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_Moodle.

You have two conservative options. In either case get the exact PHP clarified from your hoster and what you need to do to shift to the new PHP version.

i. Report back here and get feedback whether 1.9.9 goes with that PHP. If OK, do the PHP shift
immediately and test you site. I assumed that they've told you also how to undo the PHP move, in case it back fires.

ii. If it is doubtful whether 1.9.9 goes with the future PHP or step i back-fired, upgrade to 1.9.19, check every thing, do the PHP shift, test. All that before Monday.

Note that I've avoided Moodle 2.x, which usually means more action.
;-\
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo, thank you so much for your answer !

I just posted the last post at the same time as you posted you reply.

Well, my Moddle platform 1.9.9 did not work with php 5.3, after switching it, my server switched back but only until tomorrow. I would have never undertaken all this if I I didn't have too - you are right, I'm really anxious this time, and I'm so grateful for your answer.

Thank you for the links too. I have read it, and I tried to follow the indications, but I don't understand the code parts (commands ?): I don' have the slightest idea where to put that.

As to the php switch, I had to do it before (the server tool told me so, it wouldn't install the 2.2 version if not).

About the problems I have now, I almost understand the UTF 8 error, but I don't know where to do that (on my server ? with php my admin ?), but I don't understand the second one.

Well, maybe I'll find a way to repare this, I hope I will because there is really a lot of work on my site - years of work...

Thanks for any help, of any kind !

Ulrike

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo,

I tried, but I get too messages:

1. line on top:

Strict Standards: Declaration of context_helper::get_level_name() should be compatible with context::get_level_name() in /home/xxxx/public_html/frenchvideos/moodle/lib/accesslib.php on line 5442

Following error:

It is required that you store all your data in Unicode format (UTF-8). New installations must be performed into databases that have their default character set as Unicode. If you are upgrading, you should perform the UTF-8 migration process (see the Admin page).

This is shown to me although I'm not connected, I just hope not anybody can acces the site.

I don't know at all where I have to do that migration - on my serveur ? On "Moodle" (how ? It doesn't exist any more/yet) ?

Please help me if you can.

Thank you very much.

Ulrike

by Ulrike Albers -

It seems that anyone can just go and and administrate the site now.

Can anybody tell me what to do ?

Ulrike

The first thing: Don't panik! Since you've taken backups, the worst thing that can happen is that the site will be down on Monday. You need to live at least that long to get that backup restored!
smile

First, how much notice did you have on the scrapping of PHP 5.2? If it was short, complain and get an extension.

Don't even think of going to 2.x over this weekend. To tell you frankly, if an upgrade within 1.9 is this difficult, you can forget 2.x for some time!

The real problem is, you don't follow instructions. I asked you to, "get the exact PHP clarified from your hoster and what you need to do to shift to the new PHP version." Now where is the answer to that?

The next thing: You've just posted error messages. Are you trying the PHP switch with us in "real time" (hope not) or have you tried earlier? If so, where is the discussion in this forum?

You've almost created a new problem. Don't publish access information from your hosting provider in the Internet! If you get somebody over chat and if your are faily sure of his bona fide, that is a different matter.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo, thank you !!!

I got your post after trying the upgrade, it was too late to follow your indications; I posted my second one exactly at the moment you posted your reply. I'm sorry if I hadn't answer some of your questions, I was really anxious.

I don't understand " your questions very well, sorry for my English (and my ignorance !)... the version was 5.2.17, now it's 5.4.7: That's, for the moment, the version I switched on my own, and only on the folder where Moodle is. Some time ago, the server team switched it (I don't know to which, may not the same, and maybe that was the real problem so) and when they did that, all my Moodle had blank pages. So they switched it back, until today.

"What do I need" - I don't know, they just told me that an upgrade was the solution, and that's also the advice I got from some other people.

Have I published access information ? Do you mean the path ? black eye

Thank you Visvahnat, for helping me...

Hi

Good to know that you have the original 1.9.9 working again. I saw this message http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=212646&parent=926598 and thought you crashed the original during an upgrade to 2.2. Such a crash would make the Moodle installation unrepearable. Luckily you tried it on a copy.

No, you haven't published any sensitive information in this forum. Still the episode yesterday was too risky. Try to have a clear plan first. Here's an example:

- Immediate problem
As Howard pointed out, your 1.9.9 might simply work with PHP 5.3. The message you were seeing could have been a warning which you can suppress by raising the warning level of Moodle (Site Administration -> Server -> Debugging -> Debug messages).

Side question: You are suddenly talking of PHP 5.4. What is it now? Don't forget my original question: what is the new PHP, 5.X.Y?

- Short term plan (1-2 weeks)
Independent of the upgrade, do a site http://docs.moodle.org/en/Site_backup and download it to your personal computer. Unless you have hundreds of courses it is worth getting a http://docs.moodle.org/en/Course_backup of every course downloaded too. You'll never know what'll happen with to the hoster or the server tomorrow.

You'll also be more relaxed in a stress situation like yesterday. And if they get impossible, you can smile and say good bye.

- Medium term (1-2 months)
Upgrade to 1.9.latest at the time.

- Long term (an year)
Plan the upgrade to a 2.x, version 1.9 is supported only until Dec 2013.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The first is just a warning. You may have debugging turned up high, or your host may have strict standards switched on. It's annoying but not a problem.

Sometimes you need to re-assert that your database is UTF8. It depends what access to the database you have but normally just making sure the database is set to default character set utf8 will do. Here's the command line..

http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Installation_FAQ#When_upgrading_Moodle_claims_my_database_is_not_UTF8_when_I.27m_sure_it_is

As has been said, a 1.9 site WILL run with PHP 5.3. You are better to upgrade to the latest 1.9 BUT I would do that anyway before upgrading to 2.x.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ulrike Albers -

Hello Howard,

Thank you very much, I start to feel better !

About the php version: All Moodle pages became blank when switching to 5.3 - that's the only reason for me to upgrade. It must have been the problem, because when they switched back, everything went normal again.

As to database command line, I'm really sorry, but I don't know where I have to write these lines. Maybe in php MyAdmin ? But I can ask the server support (at least know I think I understand that it is on the server).

I thank you very much for this help!

Ulrike

PS: Is there a later version than 1.9.9, for 1.9, then ?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think we're up to 1.9.19. 1.9.9 was release in June 2010 dead

However, I'm reasonably sure 1.9.9 *should* run with PHP 5.3. It was probably just a matter of switching on Debugging (in the config.php file) to see what was going wrong.

by Ulrike Albers -

Hello Howard,

I just checked my copy which is in the same folder (folder that I switched to php 5.4) and it DOES work !!! Thank you !

Now I'm going to see with the support what happened (what's the difference), and I hope I don't have to upgrade, I would just copy my copy back... it would be great.

I know my version is old, but well, you see why :D.

Thank you very much, I'm going to come back as soon as I have news from server support.

Ulrike

by Howard Miller -

It's really not good to be in a position where upgrading is such a difficulty.

Anyway, upgrading on the 1.9 branch *should* be very simple. All you - basically - need to do is the replace the code with the new version and put your original config.php back.

Upgrading from 1.9 to 2.x can be difficult - even for people who do it lots!

by Ulrike Albers -

Hello again,

Just to say that my server support says that they had switched from 5.2. to 5.3. php version (probably from 5.2.16 to 5.3.15 they won't know). So this remains quite a mystery, but well what I care about is that I my platform goes on...!

Thanks to everone, I was really scared and alone smile

Ulrike