Mentees block - using for parents and tutors

Mentees block - using for parents and tutors

by James Bisset -
Number of replies: 6

I've created two roles for Parent and Tutor, but I can't work out how the Mentee block is supposed to work with these.  I've created two blocks labelled Parent and Tutor respectively, but they both show the same set of users (children/tutees).  I can't see how you configure the Mentee block to show different users.

Can anyone help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Bisset

Re: Mentees block - using for parents and tutors

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm not sure you can - interesting  -I hadn't thought of this before. The role is the same so presumably the block only recognises one role, whatever it is called.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by James Bisset -

I followed the instructions here (http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Blocks_FAQ) on settings permissions for a user who is a tutor to see a Mentees block titled "Tutees" and a user who is a parent to a Mentees block titled "My Children".

The check permissions function appears to show correct permissions - the tutor can see the "Tutees" Mentees block and not the "My Children" one, and vice versa.

However, in practice, neither block is showing up on the My Moodle home page.

The previous behaviour occurred when I added the Mentees block to my own My Moodle page - as a tutor and a parent - and got both tutees and children in both blocks!

All very confusing.  Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

James.

In reply to James Bisset

by James Bisset -

So, just to confirm, if I log on as a tutor I can add the Mentees block myself to my My Moodle home page and see my tutees.  The same applies if I log in as a parent (I see my children).

However, I can't seem to configure this to happen automatically from the Default My Moodle config page.

In reply to James Bisset

by David Kimball -

James, I am in the process of doing this myself and so far it works for me.  This video is very helpful:

Here are two others:

In reply to David Kimball

by James Bisset -

David

I have no problem in setting up the parent role.  My problem is that I am also using the same method to set up a tutor role - both of these use the Mentees block for display.  What's not clear is how to configure the block to show the correct students.  For example, I am both a parent and a tutor, and would want to see my children and tutees listed correctly.  This doesn't happen.

James.

In reply to James Bisset

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi James. I am coming back to this today as I have been doing some research on the parent role. However, I don't have any other suggestions I am afraid for if you are both a tutor and a parent because it seems to be the block can't differentiate - and to take it further, I'd have to understand the code behind it.I'd be interested in knowing if you have come up with a solution or if anybody else has an idea.