Marking Guides Auto fill Max Scores

Marking Guides Auto fill Max Scores

by Joshua Bragg -
Number of replies: 11

I'm starting to play around with the new marking guides and I think they're really going to be a useful time saver.

One thing that I'm not a fan of so far is having to enter a score for each criterion.  To me it would make more sense if they were automatically filled with the maximum scores.  Then if you had a score lower than the maximum you could change it.  For well written assignments, you would have to do less work.  I think this a subtle time saver more than anything.

In any case, I wanted to post this here to see other thoughts before dropping it in the Tracker.  If there is a reason it is done this way then it would be nice to know that.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joshua Bragg

Re: Marking Guides Auto fill Max Scores

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'd vote against that myself - sounds like it could cause a teacher to accidentally give a higher grade than planned - if you don't like entering the grade you could use the "rubrics" grading method which allows you to use your mouse and select the grade rather than entering a numerical grade like the Marking guide does.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sam Mudle -

I've always wanted that feature in Moodle.  Often most of the class gets a perfect score on an assignment.  Why do I have to enter the same score 30 times when grading?mixed

Most desktop grading apps (like EasyGradePro) have a Fill Score feature that quickly does this.

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Fair enough - It wouldn't take too much to add a setting to the marking guide that allowed the teacher to decide whether to use the maxgrade by default when marking using that guide - feel free to add a tracker issue for that.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Joshua Bragg -

The other option would be to make a "Fill with Max Scores" Button on the the grading interface.  Or do both? Thoughts?

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Joshua Bragg -

A tracker issue has been made.  See http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-35408 and vote for it.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Andy Wrasman -

This option is necessary.  A more realistic number isn't 30 students, but 100+ students.  If you don't get why this is helpful for teachers, I'm not sure if you are a teacher.  Clearly some assignments are just do it assignments that get full credit or no credit.  No one can actually grade 100+ assignments every day and plan lessons and field emails from parents and students and administrators, so sometimes a 100% grade for everyone who did it is the best route to go. 

Has this option ever been resolved?  Can we add this option somehow now? The last post here was a year ago.

In reply to Andy Wrasman

by Dan Marsden -

Hi Andy, Moodle is open source - anyone is welcome to develop a patch or provide funding to help someone else to develop a patch.

The Marking Guide plugin was developed with funding from Massey University - glad that you have found it useful! - Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you're willing to fund my time for further improvements.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Andy Wrasman -

Dan, our school doesn't have the patch you are referring to, but I know many of us teachers would love to be able to set an auto-fill for all assignments.  If you have made a patch that can do that please email the directions I'd need to give to my Moodle Administrator at our school and I'll pass it all on to him.  Then I'll pass a hat around at our school to all the teachers and ask them to donate to you.  My email is wrasmana@clshs.org.  Thank you very much Dan. 

In reply to Andy Wrasman

by Dan Marsden -

Andy - There isn't currently a patch that does this for the marking guide afaik. If you want to pay for my time to develop one - feel free to drop me an e-mail and I can provide information on our rates. I work for the Moodle Partner Catalyst IT

Bob does mention the LAE grader plugin which does allow you to set a final grade in the gradebook using some form of auto-fill function (but I haven't used it)

Joshua - I'm still trying to work out a good way that we can make crowd-funding work well, I have a lot of development ideas that need funding but we need to put some thought into how to manage those properly as a Moodle Partner. Thanks!