Post to a Forum using e-mail

Post to a Forum using e-mail

by Jose Chelquer -
Number of replies: 4

I would like to let some of my users to post to a Forum without logging into the site, just sending an e-mail to a predefined address (as in a mailing list).

I have not found any means to do so. Anybody knows about an extension to work in this way? It may seem stupid, but it would make it easier to get new users participate, and then -slowly- make them full users of the courses.

I have found such a mechanism in Tiki Wiki.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jose Chelquer

Re: Post to a Forum using e-mail

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ye-es. I wrote a plugin for a client to do just this.

It needs a bit of sanitising before it could be made available in the plugins database.

It is a bit of a bodge. You need to set up a dedicated email address and then a cron job runs and sends the message out before the normal forum posting has a chance. It also scans the mail box looking for valid mails.

A 'reply above this line' line is added to each message with a unique code in the line (so that it can be matched up with the original message). It isn't great and we had some issues with certain mail clients but it more or less works.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Oh do sanitise it and make it available Howard; it's something I think could be very popular. In other applications these days you can email in your blog posts - I am hoping something similar will make its way to Mahara some day - and if you can email to a Moodle forum that's going part way along the same track too.

by John Iglar -

Agree with Mary. That would be a fantastic plug-in.

by Derek Chirnside -

What about a reply to "Forum number-Post number@sitename.com" with the first part of the e-mail containing the data to add it to the dartebase/forum discussion in the right place?  Then just the e-mail address is needed, not extracting content from inside the mail.  (A non-expert here)

-Derek