Copying pages into books

Copying pages into books

by Alistair Spark -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi everyone,

Any ideas on how to make 30 Pages (Page Resource) be copied as chapters of a Book (Book plugin) which doesn't involve recreating these manually?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alistair Spark

Re: Copying pages into books

by Ankit Agarwal -

Hi Alistair,

I donot think there is any easy way to do that. If you really donot want to do it manually, you might want to look at the database structure of mdl_page and mdl_book_chapters and write a script that can import the content from the former to the later.
But doing it manually might be less of an effort.

Thanks

In reply to Alistair Spark

by Brian Merritt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Alistair

If you put them your 30 pages into PowerPoint format, I have just uploaded a PowerPoint Macro that turns the slides into a set of files that can use the "Import Chapter" function.  You can see that here https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=218473

Alternatively, if you are happy to create the book using images, save all the pages into one subdirectory and create a simple html file per slide with the title set to the chapter heading and the code a very simple display the corresponding image.  Import Chapters will work.

What format are your Pages in smile

In reply to Brian Merritt

by Erika Remley -

I've just come upon this thread, as I'm looking for a solution to the same problem.  Is there a simple way to turn several "page" resources into one "book" resource?  I've inherited courses and managed to restore them from 1.9 to 2.5 but items that were a "resource" in the old version are now pages and the navigation between them isn't ideal.