Interactive with Multiple Tries Problem

Interactive with Multiple Tries Problem

by Mark Meredith -
Number of replies: 16

I'm new to much of this, so please excuse me if I'm oblivious to a simple solution to this.  I've built a quiz from a question bank imported from Examview.  In fact, I first had to convert it to Moodle XML before importing it, because I could never get the Examview exported file to import to Moodle. 

Now that the quiz is setup, I can't seem to get the 'Interactive with Multiple Tries' setting to work.  The only setting that seems to work is the traditional one attempt per question quiz.  You never see the 'try again' option regardless of the quizzes setting.  Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Meredith

Re: Interactive with Multiple Tries Problem

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is confusing. To use multiple tries, you need to add some Hints to the question, which you can do by editing them. The number of tries is the number of hints, plus one.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mark Meredith -

Thank you!  That's the issue.

Do you know what I could be doing wrong when I'm attempting to import a file made in Examview?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is an issue. Other systems don't have the concept of Hints, at least not in this sense.

Having to edit each question individually in Moodle to add hints is a total pain.

Probably, what we need is a bulk add/edit hints tool - although really it is better if the hints are specific to the quetsion, and help the student know what to do if they got it wrong first time.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I actually came up with a sql script to add hints to every question.  It worked like a charm!

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Tim "[...] it is better if the hints are specific to the quetsion, and help the student know what to do if they got it wrong first time."

Of course. And it is even better is the hints are specific to the student's actual answer, as in the REGEXP question type.

Joseph

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If I remember right, the trick is to export to Blackboard 6 and then import in regular Blackboard - Tim might be able to confirm that process.

by Emma Richardson -

You might need to add hints to the actual questions.  Interactive with multiple tries needs hints added to make that feature work.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mark Meredith -

Ah, thank you both!  I didn't realize the hints were required.

by Nobuyuki Fujioka -

Hi, all

Could you tell me how I can bulk-import short-answer interactive questions with multiple tries hints?

At the moment, I am trying the gift format to import a lot of questions that already exist in my excel files.

I layout my questions in html within gift format, and it works fine.  The only problem is that the Moodle documentation does not seem to explain how to import questions with hints for multiple tries.

It is a bit pointless to be able to bulk-import questions but not being able to bulk import hints along with the questions...making me type in individual hints for each question in the moodle quiz editor, which negates the point of bulk-import in the first place.

Could you help me on how to import hints along with short answer questions?

Kind regards,

Noby

In reply to Nobuyuki Fujioka

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Nobuyuki,

GIFT format was created way before hints were introduced in Moodle, so it is not possible to import hints with GIFT format.

It's not easy to extend GIFT to support new questions elements, not impossible (for instance Tim has modified it some time ago so that people can import general feedback) but not easy if you want to keep backward compatibility.

I think that GIFT is only useful if you want to import relatively simple questions, but if you want to use all features available now in Moodle questions and quiz, GIFT is not a good solution.

As a math teacher most of my questions use features not available in GIFT or are third party questions types that don't support GIFT import-export so I very rarely use GIFT.

When I don't have a network connexion or when the connexion is unreliable, the tool I use to create questions is ... Moodle smile : I have a local install of Moodle on all my laptops and computers (I use wampserver to install php and MySQL) I create questions using Moodle interface to create and edit questions (I completely agree with Joseph's opinion that it's a very good UI to create questions) and export them in Moodle XML format (contrary to GIFT Moodle XML format support all question's features including of course hints and all third party question types I use support XML import/export) later when I have a reliable connexion I import these XML files into my production website.

This is for instance the method I use to work on questions when I am in a train.

The added benefit is that I don't have to learn several tools to create questions, I always use the same.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Nobuyuki Fujioka -

Hi, Jean-Michel

Thank you very much for your comments.

I do not mind using XML format instead of GIFT format.  I looked at the Moodle documentation for its XML format for quiz, but it does not mention clearly how I can add hints for interactive questions in the XML format.

Is the below example correct in terms of how I structure xml code for a question?  I do not know what <answer fraction="100"> is.  I just copied from the documentation.  I believe 100% of the grade..

In the documentation, there is not an example of how to write xml codes for hits for interactive questions.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<quiz>

<question type="shortanswer">
     <name>
         <text>Maths question 1</text>
     </name>
     <questiontext format="html">
         <text>1+3=</text>
     </questiontext>

</question>

<answer fraction="100">
     <text>4</text>
     <feedback><text>Correct!</text></feedback>
 </answer>

<answer fraction="100">
     <text>four</text>
     <feedback><text>Correct!</text></feedback>
 </answer>

</quiz>

If I can export my questions with hints as you mentioned above, then I should be able to see the xml code in the exported file to work out how it is structured....?

I prefer not to use Moodle quiz editor to make individual questions one by one, including hints, as it will be too time consuming.

Kind regards,

Noby

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

What version of Moodle are you using ?

Here is what I get when I export a shortanswer question that include nearly all available features (including a partially correct answer graded as 50% mark)

<name>
      <text>shortanswer question</text>
    </name>
    <questiontext format="html">
      <text><![CDATA[<p>This is question text<br></p>]]></text>
    </questiontext>
    <generalfeedback format="html">
      <text><![CDATA[<p>This is general feedback<br></p>]]></text>
    </generalfeedback>
    <defaultgrade>1.0000000</defaultgrade>
    <penalty>0.3333333</penalty>
    <hidden>0</hidden>
    <usecase>0</usecase>
    <answer fraction="100" format="moodle_auto_format">
      <text>correct answer</text>
      <feedback format="html">
        <text><![CDATA[<p>Feedback for first correct answer<br></p>]]></text>
      </feedback>
    </answer>
    <answer fraction="100" format="moodle_auto_format">
      <text>another correct answer</text>
      <feedback format="html">
        <text><![CDATA[<p>feedback for second correct answer<br></p>]]></text>
      </feedback>
    </answer>
    <answer fraction="50" format="moodle_auto_format">
      <text>partially correct answer</text>
      <feedback format="html">
        <text><![CDATA[<p>feedback for partially correct answer<br></p>]]></text>
      </feedback>
    </answer>
    <hint format="html">
      <text><![CDATA[<p>first hint<br></p>]]></text>
    </hint>
    <hint format="html">
      <text><![CDATA[<p>second hint<br></p>]]></text>
    </hint>
  </question>

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Nobuyuki Fujioka -

Hi, Jean-Michel

Thank you for giving me the comment on exporting the questions with hints.

I just exported and now I can see all the codes for the question including html source codes and hints.

Now that I know the structure of how to build a question with interactive hints, I can insert this code template into my excel file with actual question data.  Now, I will be able to just modify/update all my questions and hints in one screen in the  excel file, and when I am done, all the codes will be ready to be cut and pasted into text file (.xml) and imported into my moodle in mass.

Thank you for your great help!

Regards,

Noby

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Cutting and pasting each hint from Excel into XML doesn't sound like much fun to me. I developed a Word table format that supports including hints along with the questions. You could import your XML questions into my public Moodle server at www.Moodle2Word.net, export them into a single Word file, add the hints directly, and then import it back into Moodle and re-export as XML for your own Moodle. You can also install the Word table import/export plugin I developed and install it yourself.

In reply to Eoin Campbell

by Nobuyuki Fujioka -

Hi, Eoin

I am not going to cut and paste hints from Excel to XML one by one - that will be too time consuming and contrary to my objective. What I meant was that XML and HTML codes will be integrated into my excel file.  So, all I need is to select my custom short answer question type and question level in the excel file, then, the excel will produce a complete set of xml codes using the code templates and question numerical data.  I will simply then cut the complete codes for many questions along with interactive hints embedded in my excel file at one go and paste it to Notepad as XML.  In this way, a group of questions can be imported into Moodle as XML file at one go.  Very simple once it is set up.  I guess I could make the process all automatic with some macros, but I am not a programmer and don't have time for it.

I have many maths questions (numerical data) which already exist in Excel in particular layouts (addition, fraction style questions, missing number in algebra type questions,etc.).  So, custom layout for each question type by html (using tables) and link to the existing Excel data are required.  Therefore, using the MS Word is perhaps not the best solution for my purposes.

However, for generic question types, your word plugin will be probably very useful.  I will take a look at it.

Thanks,

Noby

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Noby "Could you tell me how I can bulk-import short-answer interactive questions with multiple tries hints?"

You can't.sad