"Pending" Tool Providers

"Pending" Tool Providers

by Ian Wild -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all,

Perhaps it's something I've missed but just looking at the 'External Tools' configuration am I right in thinking that teachers can submit LTI providers to admins for approval that are then available across the entire site? If so then how do I actually get a provider to be listed under Settings->Site administration->Plugins->Activity modules->External Tool "Pending"?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

Attachment pending_external_tools.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Wild

Re: "Pending" Tool Providers

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Iansmile (Sorry if you were expecting an answer - I don't know!) But I will do some investigation too as I would really like to get more to grips with External tool - the documentation on it is very sparse.

Edit Well actually I am a bit nearer the solution because when you click the help file it actually says 

• Pending - These tool providers came in through a package import, but have not been configured by an administrator. Teachers may still use tools from these providers if they have a consumer key and shared secret, or if none is required.

So does that mean we assume that it's not a teacher on the course who suggests them to the admin for approval, but that they have come in from elsewhere??

However the capability http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Capabilities/mod/lti:requesttooladddoes suggest that teachers can ask admins to add external tools - so the question remains....thoughtful

In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Andrewartha -

As Mary suggests, when a Tool comes in say from a package it becomes pending, but still usable. The other instance of Pending can be where a Tool is configured as global and for some reason the provider does not respond to the initial validation.

For global use, on your local Moodle, the admin need to configure it. Such instances, and not limited to the examples are, bringing in the concept of standard shared objects. This is much like programming SSO or in MS dll. An example, all science courses are 50% maths. Using a shared maths object becomes useful. It's already approved, and no rewrite needed.
 This is a very useful feature in courses such as STEM where cross discipline is used.

In reply to John Andrewartha

by Ian Wild -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi John, Mary

Thanks for your help. We have been testing using the LTI test provider URL at http://www.imsglobal.org/developers/LTI/test/v1p1/tool.php which works... but when this is added by a teacher this doesn't appear in the 'Pending' tab. Can you download LTI packages also? Or is this something different?

Sorry for all the questions: I'm getting slightly confused wide eyes.

Thanks again,

Ian.