thank you for investigating the issue of the Hot Potatoes font size setting.
The difficulty here is which styles do we wish to prevail - the Hot Potatoes styles, or the Moodle styles. The Moodle theme developers would probably choose the Moodle styles, but I can see that as Hot Potatoes creators there are times when we want to give precedence to the Hot Potatoes styles. Very well then, try this:
- install the latest version of the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x on your Moodle server
- with a text editor, open "mod/hotpot/attempt/renderer.php"
- locate the "fix_css_definitions" function (around line 973)
- uncomment (i.e. remove double backslash from) the following line (around line 995)
- OLD: // $selectors = "$container";
- NEW: $selectors = "$container";
- save the file
- clear the HotPot cache on your Moodle site
- Settings -> Site administration -> Plugins -> Activity module -> HotPot
- click "Clear HotPot cache" link
- view the quiz
There was a reason why I originally commented out this line - but I must confess I have forgotten what the reason was. I think it may have been that very often you do NOT want the Hot Potatoes styles to be in effect. Rather, you want the Hot Potatoes quiz to appear with the same styles as the Moodle theme.
It may be that we can come up with a flexible solution, whereby we add a setting to the Moodle HotPot settings page. The new setting will allow us to specify which styles we wish to take precedence. We may even make it more granular, so that we can choose any, all or none of ...
- margin (left and right)
And to really add icing on top of the cake, we could also allow teachers to add their own styles that would override both the Moodle theme and the Hot Potatoes styles.
First though, please could you try the modification to "mod/hotpot/attempt/renderer.php" and let me know not only whether or not it fixes your immediate issue, but also whether it has any knock-on effects on other HotPot activities.