Adjust Moodle Admin role?

Adjust Moodle Admin role?

by Justin Litalien -
Number of replies: 5

Our institution enrolls our Tier 2 support staff into the Admin role. This role is fantastic, because we can easily solve user problems by accessing a course quickly.

We are in the midst of transitioning some of our Tier 2 issues to our Help Desk, but we are not completely comfortable offering them the Admin role.

Has there been any interal discussions about editing the Admin role? We would love a "watered down" admin role for our Help Desk staff to use, so they can solve common problems but not have access to make any site changes.

Thoughts?

Justin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Litalien

Re: Adjust Moodle Admin role?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you are using Moodle 2 then you can use the manger role for this http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Manager_role

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Justin Litalien -

Thanks Mary, is this a newer feature in M2? I was using M1.9 and not finding anything that could help. This new role looks promising!

Justin

PS: Love your tutorial videos by the way smile

In reply to Justin Litalien

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thankssmile Yes - it is in Moodle 2. I suppose you could create  your own custom role similar to a manager in Moodle 1.9, giving the user certain permissions but not others, but there is no set role like the Moodle 2 manager role.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by K. Koontz -

In hopes of reviving a dead thread, we have a similar issue.  We need to have our help desk to have an even more watered-down role site-wide than a manager but have not yet figured out how this may be accomplished in Moodle 2.2.6.  The role would need to be shared by a number of agents.  The role would need to be able to enroll (and afterward unenroll) themselves in any course in order to answer questions posed by the students.  We do not wish to allow these agents to have the ability to change anything about the course, to enroll other users, or to view grades.  They are to answer specifically targeted questions over the phone about any specific current course in Moodle.  Essentially, this would be something like a mix between the Observer role and the Manager role.  I have experiemented with a variety of permissions, but have not discovered a way to assign such a role to a user site-wide. 

Any suggestions regarding tailoring such a role would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to K. Koontz

by James Henestofel -

Here is the process that I took.

1. Created a new Helpdesk role based off the authenticated users role so that any updates wouldn't necessarily give permissions to something without me knowing
  2. Went through and turned on "prevent" for everything
  3. Went back through and turned on "allow" for the specific things I wanted them to be able to do.

My helpdesk role can modify user info, and go into any course to view it without enrolling themselves.  They can't modify anything.  It just takes a lot of tweaking.  Would be nice if I could expert my setup.

If you are afraid of giving a permission the site role at the course level that could effect the frontpage, you are able to restrict that within the frontpage permissions here /admin/roles/permissions.php?contextid=2

For instance if you want to give the ability to reply to forum posts like you stated "answer questions posed by the students" you give that permission to do that for the helpdesk role then go to the frontpage permissions and remove that in case you don't want that there.  You can also assign that user at each category level and you won't have to worry about anything on the frontpage or under 'site administration'.

Hope that made sense