Using Workshop for repetitive workflows

Using Workshop for repetitive workflows

by Chuck Gobin -
Number of replies: 0

I've been using Workshop for a couple of semesters now, but this summer is my first really intensive use of the newly designed module. I'm relatively familiar with the features but have been re-reading the documentation to fine-tune my understanding.

In re-reading the section on "grading strategies," I saw in the section on Comments that it talks about using Workshop for repetitive workflows: first draft of a paper just gets comments, for example. Then, as I understand it, I move the workshop back to submission phase, possibly changing the grading strategy to Rubric or Accumulative Grading, and then run the workshop again. Am I understanding this correctly so far?

My main question is this: if I wish to "document" the work done on an assignment, is it wise to use repetitive workflows? Does resetting things wipe out the prior assessment work done? If students resubmit a revised draft, does that overwrite the previous draft?

On the one hand, it would be nice to use one Workshop for an entire assignment, but what I have been doing is to use Workshop for the rough draft stage (using Rubric and Accumulative Grading as my preferred strategies--still deciding which I like best), and then creating a separate Assignment for them to submit their final draft, which only I grade--using a rubric that I've created for that Assignment. This has worked pretty well for me, and I do have a record of both the rough draft they submitted (and its assessments) as well as the final draft of the same paper.

I'm curious if anyone has tried combining these steps into a single Workshop, or if anyone has tips on how they've used Workshop in assignment sequences.

Average of ratings: -