Excusing Grades from certain students

Excusing Grades from certain students

by Mike Berman -
Number of replies: 4

Does anyone know of a way that I can excuse grades from select students totals?  We have a very transient population in my school and I get students in the middle of the term.  I need to exclude the grades from the work that was done before they arived.  

I also want to set up two quizzes for each week.  The first quiz would be for those that are present on the day we take the quiz and the second (much more difficult) quiz would be for those that were absent.   Is there any way to do this? 

In reply to Mike Berman

Re: Excusing Grades from certain students

by Bob Puffer -

Hi Mike,

When asking questions about the gradebook you'd want to supply the version of Moodle you're using.  You can find this at Site administration->Server->Environment, the first line, "moodle" gives the specific version and build number.

In reply to Mike Berman

by Bob Puffer -

The easiest way to accomplish both your goals is to situate your grades under a category(ies) that have the "Aggregate only non-empty grades" checkbox (found under the Categories and items tab/dropdown).  In doing so, the students' category totals and ultimate grades will only reflect what they've actually attempted.  You will need to manually place a zero for anyone who deserves a zero grade though.

In reply to Mike Berman

by Teresa Gibbison -

Hi Mike

Bob has advised you already about excluding non-empty grades.  You can also exclude individual grade items from specific students but this takes more time as you need to exclude each item manually.   With Editing on click the edit icon next to each grade to bring up the editing screen for that student's specific grade which will allow you to exclude it.

Cheers
Teresa