Check permissions page

Check permissions page

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It has bugged me for ages that when you go to the Check permissions page, it does not show you the list of roles that the user has. It just shows you what the permissions are.

If the permissions are wrong, it means you don't have many clues about what the problem is.

It turns out that I am not the only person incovenienced by this. The admin staff here at the OU find it a pain, and it was reported in the tracker a long time ago: MDL-23219.

Anyway, I decided to do something about this, so there is now a patch there for review. Here is what it looks like:

Screen grab

The role name goes to the screen where you can view that role definition (if you have permissions). The context name goes to the standard URL for that context. That means that if you actually want to go and assign or override roles there, you need two clicks. One to get there, and then one to click the appropriate link in the settings block. However, it was too hard to make a directly link, because of the necessary permisisons checks, and the fact that in courses there are both enrolments and other users.

Anyway, I hope people agree this is useful. If you like it, you might like to vote for MDL-23219. If you have any concerns about this, scream now!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Check permissions page

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Tim, very useful! Just noting that this improvement will be available in Moodle 2.2.5 and 2.3.2. smile