Add Category Edit to Course Creator role

Add Category Edit to Course Creator role

by Wes Matchett -
Number of replies: 5

I'm stumped.  I've done a detailed capabilities comparison between the Manager, Course Creator, and Teacher roles and then attempted to modify the Course Creator to have the ability to edit categories but nothing works. The most promising was the moodle/category:manage but it didn't work.  I also tried moodle/course:changecategory but it didn't work either.  How do I change Course Creator to be able to fully edit categories?  Manager has more abilities than this role should have, so using that role is not an option.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wes Matchett

Re: Add Category Edit to Course Creator role

by Mark Pearson -

I think these two statements in the category:manage docs may help:

1. To add a new category, you need moodle/category:manage in the parent of the category you are adding to.
  2. To update a category's name, description, and/or visiblility, you need moodle/category:manage in the category itself.

A lot depends upon the context (system wide? within a category?) that the user has. If you edit the Course Creator role to add category:manage capabilty then assign a user to this role at the system level (ie with Users : Permissions : Assign system roles) that user will have this capability over the whole moodle site. But to allocate this capabilty within a part of the site you'd need to create a new category (or use an exisiting one) where you want users to be able to manage their categories :

1. In the Category in question, click 'Assign roles', then
  2. {Locally assigned roles} tab -> Course creator -- assign users
  3. and optionally {Override permissions} tab  -> Course creator -> category:manage -> Allow

I think that will do the job. Let us know how you get on with this -- it's exactly what I'm wanting to do but have not tried out yet.

HTH

Mark smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Wes Matchett -

The best solution for us turned out to be assigning the 'course creator' role to each teacher in a department at the root of that dept's curriculum.

In reply to Wes Matchett

by Matthew Cutlack -

Anyone had any luck with this issue? Seems like it would be a bug as there are permissions available to allow this access. Once you have added some of the permissions you also see the "Turn editing on" link, but this just seems to refresh the page.

In reply to Matthew Cutlack

by Francisco Morales -

Hi!

I am having the problem Matthew describes. The Course Creator role is permited to: moodle/category:manage; moodle/course:create; moodle/course:delete. However, when clicking the button "turn editing on", the page is refreshed but no options to delete or move courses are displayed.

The Course Creator can create courses and assign roles at the category level, but she/he cannot delete or move courses. The Course Creator even can delete courses through http://...../course/delete.php?id=12345

I am using Moodle 2.0.4. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Francisco

In reply to Francisco Morales

by Tobias Marx -

Hi,

we've stumbled over this issue when we switched to Moodle 2.x.

Users assigned to a category with a role that has the moodle/category:manage capability can not move/hide/delete (sub)categories, because the "Site administration -> Courses -> Add/edit courses" menu entry isn't show and opening "course/index.php?categoryedit=on" manually, doesn't work either.

We've seen this in Moodle 2.2 and 2.3. I've added a Tracker entry. So if you experience the same problem, vote for this issue in the Tracker, please!

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-34034

BR,

Tobias