Excellent Host - Micfo

Excellent Host - Micfo

by Scott Grogg -
Number of replies: 11
Hello everyone!

My institution has made the approval to move from our old course management system to Moodle during the summer months.  This will be a major undertaking since it involves new training sessions, extra tech support for a while, and the transition to a new server.  Unfortunately, due to some technical issues with limited available open ports and public IP's at our campus, we are having to setup Moodle on a shared web hosting plan.  (This will all change as we get some of the technical issues worked out for the fall term.)

What we decided upon, after several months of investigation, is to use micfo.com as our host.  For $5.95 (US) p/month, they offered:
  • 2gb space
  • 80gb bandwidth
  • 6 mysql databases
  • Cpanel
  • 24/7 phone, e-mail, and form based tech support
  • and a wide variety of other options
The great aspect of this deal is that they limit the amount of sites on a single server.  (They move you to a specific server based upon the pricing plan that you choose.)  The server hosting our Moodle site only has 57 other sites, all of which are small in nature.  Other hosts we reviewed often had 400 to 700 sites on a single server... making it nearly impossible to run Moodle.

I realize that Moodle partners are suggested by most everyone here and I highly recommend them to everyone I speak with.  But, my institution could not justify the costs for only a temporary solution.  If you find yourself in a similar situation, check out micfo.com... I don't believe you will regret it!

Special note: The pricing plan discussed above is something that we worked out directly with the company.  They usually offer half of the amount of space and bandwidth for the same cost; but, due to being a non-profit organization, they increased the features. 

Scott

Sc0tt Grogg
OM - Online Academic Program Coordinator
Warner Southern College
13895 Hwy 27
Lake Wales, Florida 33859
863-638-7689
groggs@warner.edu
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Grogg

Re: Excellent Host - Micfo

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
58 sites per server, wow, that's a lot. Best for smaller sites, yes.

As comparison, my hosting servers have 15 and I'm even cutting that down as the sites grow.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Scott Grogg -
Martin,

I agree that 58 sites is still a lot.  But, in comparison with other shared hosts, it is a walk in the park.  Our long range plan, beginning with August, is to move Moodle over onto our server that had been hosting the old course management system.  We are just not ready to make the plunge yet due to some of the technical issues. 

Scott
In reply to Scott Grogg

by Steve Hyndman -

Scott,

I understand the cost factor here, but, in my opinion, you are really taking a chance by putting your institution on a shared server like this. I put my own class on a shared server and regreat it. I do wish you the best of luck, but I would be amazed if you get through the sumer without some major difficulities.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Scott Grogg -
Steve,

I agree that it is is a risk with moving it onto a shared server for the summer months.  Of course, there is always a risk for anything... even with signing on with a Moodle partner.  But, we feel it is the best option since it will be a limited amount of classes (approximately 8 to 10) and students (80 users - non concurrent). 

Scott
In reply to Scott Grogg

by Erlyn Baack -

How do you tell how many sites on a website host's server?  Is that information available publicly or do you ask or what?  I'd like to find out how many sites are on my host server. wink

Thanks!

In reply to Erlyn Baack

by Scott Grogg -
Erlyn,

I found out how many sites are on our host server by contacting the service provider.  They e-mailed me a list with the number of sites on the server, listing of url's, and a small detail if anybody had been abusing their privileges.  This is a service that is often not given out by other companies!  Micfo, on the other hand, has been very open, honest, and understanding of our situation.  Tech support has always taken less than 5 minutes to get a hold of via phone or trouble ticket.

Scott
In reply to Erlyn Baack

by Art Lader -

Hi, Erlyn,

Look at the Reverse IP number for these:

Pretty cool, huh? (I learned this at moodle.org.)

-- Art

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Art Lader

by Scott Grogg -
I've seen this done before, but forgot about it!  Scary knowing that eslbee.com is hosted on a server with 765 other sites!
In reply to Art Lader

by Erlyn Baack -

Yes, Art, this is "pretty cool."  big grin  It's just what I was looking for!

I'd just add, parenthetically, that I've already registered, just a half hour ago, with the Moodle Partners at http://thinkingdistance.com at the teacher level which will serve my present and future needs just fine. 

Of the change, I'll say I am very happy that over the last year and a half I have learned some technical aspects way over my head, such as how to install Moodle manually (without using Fantastico), and a few other basics, but now with a Moodle Partner, I'm looking forward to working more on course content!  What a relief! wink

Thanks again!

In reply to Art Lader

by Erlyn Baack -

Knowing that my host has over 700 accounts on its server, I have a follow up question after checking another of my sites on another host which has only 250 accounts on a server.  So, what are the issues here?  What about the size or speed of the server?

Is it possible to decipher that with the "server type" information?  I ask because so far I like the "700 accounts on a server host" better than the "250 accounts on a server host."  And if the number of accounts on a server is the main variable, then my site at Netmondo.com is best of all because I'm on a server there with only 152 accounts!

How is it possible to translate this into non-techno terms? wink