error/cannot_finish_ui_if_not_setting_ui

by g k -
Number of replies: 6

I upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3. I created a new course in Moodle 2.3 and tried to import course material into this new course from an older course I created when I was running 2.2. I got the error above.

In debug mode, I get the follow errors:

Debug info:
Error code: cannot_finish_ui_if_not_setting_ui
$a contents:
Stack trace:
  • line 161 of /backup/controller/backup_controller.class.php: backup_controller_exception thrown
  • line 110 of /backup/util/ui/backup_ui.class.php: call to backup_controller->finish_ui()
  • line 92 of /backup/import.php: call to backup_ui->execute()

The old courses aren't backing either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to g k

Re: error/cannot_finish_ui_if_not_setting_ui

by Fred Weiss -

I am getting the same error when trying to backup on about half of our courses.  I do not know if they are all (there are over 1,000) upgraded 1.9 courses now running on 2.2.4+ but the first couple I have checked are.

The backup works successfully if I do not include users.

Stack trace:
  • line 161 of \backup\controller\backup_controller.class.php: backup_controller_exception thrown
  • line 110 of \backup\util\ui\backup_ui.class.php: call to backup_controller->finish_ui()
  • line 89 of \backup\backup.php: call to backup_ui->execute()
In reply to Fred Weiss

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I got same error message, it is really annoying.

As you suggested, I un-tick users, then backup successfully.

Why the users interfering the backup?

I have hundreds courses in my site (Moodle2.4), only one course can't be backed up.

I know this course is the biggest course, has a lot of images in it. even without users, the mbz file is more than 2G.

Please someone help me find out the problem.

I've found several forums and Trackers are discussing about this, but no solution yet.

In reply to William Lu

by Cindy Weber -

Moodle 2.4.3

I am getting the same error message:

Debug info:
Error code: cannot_finish_ui_if_not_setting_ui
$a contents:
Stack trace:
  • line 161 of /backup/controller/backup_controller.class.php: backup_controller_exception thrown
  • line 110 of /backup/util/ui/backup_ui.class.php: call to backup_controller->finish_ui()
  • line 89 of /backup/backup.php: call to backup_ui->execute()
 Blocks and activities only (lots of audio files)....I still have the error.
In reply to Fred Weiss

by g k -

I downloaded the latest version of 2., upgraded, and now the backup works. Not sure why.....

In reply to g k

by Susan Fleming -

I just encountered the same error message.  The course being backed up is fairly complex but it has been backed up numerous times in the past both with and without user information.

The course was created in Moodle 2.4.5 (Build: 20130708) and I am trying to back it up in the same version.