Using Keywords Glossary feature for language "correction"

Using Keywords Glossary feature for language "correction"

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 18
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Mostly for language teachers...

When using Moodle for language courses, the forums offer students a valuable opportunity to practise their written expression skills.

However, there remains for the teacher the difficult problem of dealing with language mistakes in the students' production. The solution of posting to the forum a message correcting a student's faulty message can have the adverse effects of a) making that student resentful of seeing his mistakes thus corrected in public and b) generally make the students wary of posting to the forum... Quite the reverse of what we would like to achievesad.

On the other hand, not correcting blatant mistakes can result in the student(s) believing such postings are OK and making the same mistake again and againevil.

The keywords facility in the Glossary entries seems to offer an "in-between" option, as explained below.
  • Create a new glossary, call it e.g. Common mistakes or Write better English etc.
  • Enter as concept any grammar or vocabulary use point as needed.
  • In the keywords list, start with one or two examples of actual mistakes found in the students' postings, and add up to this list as needed.
  • For Definition, write a grammar rule, a list of examples, etc.

Example

In one student's posting we can read this: "Some games are far from geing educational. Finally, you must make the good choice."
This is a simple transposition of the French expression "faire le bon choix", showing a typical misuse of the adj. good, where "the right choice" would be better English.
  • In your Queen's English cool Glossary:
  • As concept enter e.g. correctness.
  • In the keywords list, enter the good choice, the good solution, the good page.
  • For Definition, write e.g.
sad Don't say: the good answer, the good choice, the good page
smile Say: the right answer, the right choice or the correct answer/choice/page

On subsequent display of the faulty message, it will be auto-linked and will look something like this: "Some games are far from geing educational. Finally, you must make the good choice."
A click on the linked expression will display the relevant "correctness" entry from the Grammar Glossary.

I'm looking forward to fellow moodlers' reactions on this proposed "diverted" use of the Glossary, whether for language teaching or other fields.

Joseph_R
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Using Keywords Glossary feature for language "correction"

by Art Lader -

I'm looking forward to fellow moodlers' reactions on this proposed "diverted" use of the Glossary, whether for language teaching or other fields.

Hi, Joseph,

Sounds like a great idea, especially if Moodlers were to share the glossaries they had created. Even better, collaborate here at moodle.org on creating glossaries to use in this way.

Thank you for your post. It has my mental wheels spinning. smile

-- Art

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Françoise Blin -
Hi Joseph,

I experimented with a similar idea last year but I was not fully happy with the fact that mistakes were highlighted and therefore students' attention were drawn to it.

My main worry is that they notice the error (because it is highlighted) but do not click on the word to check it. Since all auto-linked entries are highlighted in the same way, I am a bit concerned that students will not be able to see the difference between right and wrong.

So I have been using a different approach. I do not signal mistakes in discussion forums but from time to time, I take a sample of postings and either create a new posting summarising what has been said or a quizz focussing on form. In the case of a new posting, I create an entry in the glossary explaining the mistake and giving examples of correct use. As for the quizz, I create some questions focussing on the points that need to be worked on.

I have also been using the Markin program (created by Martin Holmes) to correct students' texts. I then publish the statistics on Moodle and try to have auto-linked entries for each of the error type.

But it is all very time consuming...

Françoise
In reply to Françoise Blin

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Françoise,

Yes, unfortunately, highlighting errors can make them stand out too conspicuously . Although it depends on the style you have chosen in your Moodle theme for highlighting hyperlinks. Actually, our actual style is much less conspicuous than the one I used in my message. It looks more like this.
As for students simply not clicking on those erroneous words to go & check the correct form in the "grammar glossary", it is another problem. Hopefully, thanks to the new Glossary entry tracking enabled in version 1.5 it will be possible for the teacher to track those clicks & act accordingly.

> But it is all very time consuming...

Is this some sort of understatement? wink

See you soon in Paris, cool

Joseph_R

by ryan wise -
It sounds like what's needed is a setup to use various .css depending on whether the word or phrase is incorrect. The result would be a phrase which was not only linked as glossary links are, but also had a strikethrough (among other possible .css effects.) I don't have time (and possibly not the skill) to stick my hands into the code  and see how difficult it would be.

by Nicholas Walker -
Hello Joseph,
Thanks for your post. I wish I had seen it sooner. I had been working on developing a Common Error glossary of the type you described all day before it occurred to me to search Moodle Forums to see if anybody else had the same idea. The one difference between my approach and yours is simply to put the word ERROR in the concept field. I'll illustrate.

In an "Introduce Yourself" forum writing task, my francophone students from Montreal and Laval have been writing "I'm living in Montreal since I was born."

In the concept field, I put this:
live + since ERROR.

In the keywords field, I put these:
I'm living in Montreal since
am living in Montreal since
live in Montreal since
I'm living in Laval since
am living in Laval since
live in Laval since

In the definition field, I put the following:
INCORRECT: I live in Montreal since I was born.
INCORRECT: I am living in Montreal since I was born

CORRECT: I have lived in Montreal since I was born.
CORRECT: I have have been living in Montreal since I was born.

RULE: Use the present perfect (I have lived) or present perfect progressive (I have been living) with since when you want give the starting point for a situation in the past that continues to be true in the present.

EXAMPLE: I lived in Montreal when I was born + I continue to live in Montreal now = I have lived in Montreal since I was born OR I have have been living in Montreal since I was born.

I entered it once, but Moodle identified the error in other posts. While it is indeed time consuming, responding to the same error over and over again on paper is much more tedious. Since I can turn the auto-linking feature on and off, I figure I will turn it on in the laboratory next semester only while they can still edit their posts and off once the task is closed. I can turn a definition-type glossary on at other times.

Clever, eh? It is a great idea. I wonder if you have more to say on this strategy 4 years after your original post.

Nick Walker

In reply to Nicholas Walker

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Nick,
I am glad that the "special use" of the glossary put forward in my original post was useful to you. By putting the ERROR word in the concept field you prevent the autolinking to occur for other instances than those incorrect uses you enter in the keyword field list. My approach was different, as I thought that even correct uses would gain from being highlighted, if only to re-inforce the correct used described in the glossary "definition" field.
I still use the strategy described in my OP. My only regret - and it is one of my main grievances about Moodle - is that I cannot share my glossaries between my own courses, and I have to enter the same entries in all of the glossaries of all of my courses, which is really tedious.
Joseph

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Joseph,

This is a terrific idea for using a glossary in language teaching, thanks a lot!

Regarding sharing glossaries there's the concept of a "Main Glossary" which can contain entries from all "Secondary Glossaries". However, you have to copy over each entry manually AFAIK (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=114076).

Cheers,
Frank

by Judite Lucas -
Hello there, Joseph.
Isn't the "Import / Export Glossary terms" supposed to allow just that? Or is this something else?
JLucas
In reply to Judite Lucas

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Frank and Judith,
Of course it is possible to export/import glossary entries, or backup/restore glossaries. But it means that each time I add or edit a glossary entry in one of my courses I would have to export it to all of my other courses. What I really need - and that is not possible in Moodle - is to have one "master glossary" for all of my own courses (and only my own courses) that I could share between my courses. I have not yet found a working solution for that.
And, Frank, the idea of the Main/secondary glossary does not help across courses...
Joseph

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Joseph,

What about creating a "global" Master glossary on the front page?

"Site wide (global) glossaries can be created that work in all courses."
Glossary module

"Any course may contain a global glossary (but particularly the front page).

The difference to a normal local glossary is that the entries are used to create automatic links throughout the whole site (and not just in the same course the glossary belongs to)."
(from the online help)

I haven't tried that yet, though.

Cheers,
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Frank,
Thanks for the suggestion, but a global front page glossary is not an option on a huge Moodle site such as my university's. Plus the fact that I am not an administrator on that site and therefore have no access to the front page.
What I really need is something which I have mentioned on several occasions in the Moodle forums***, namely a "teacher" level, where a teacher would have his own repository of resources, to share between his own courses, but not with the other teachers' courses. Before anyone accuses me of an egoistic strategy, let me say that I am talking about a big moodle site, with many teachers, many subjects, many students. I have come to the conclusion that what I want is not possible with the current organization of moodle, and probably never will. Never mind, I will continue to copy-paste many resources from one course to another, as I have been doing since using Moodle.
Joseph
*** see my previous posts on that topic:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=122073#p535663
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=106017#p493615
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=110882#p486959
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=47540#p218149
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=32225#p151551

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Joseph,

That really looks like a long tale of woe...

Have you already filed an issue in the tracker so one can vote for this feature request?

As I understand it, what is needed is a similar mechanism like the auto-enrollment in a Meta course for resources/activities like glossaries, database activities, quizzes and the like, something like a "Meta resource" on the teacher level.

Frank

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Joseph,

I have given your ideas some more thought. While searching a bit on Moodle Docs I stumbled across the Context concept and mentioning of a CONTEXT_PERSONAL (Development:Roles#Context and
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=60125 ):

"Please note that CONTEXT_PERSONAL (present in 1.7-1.8) was never implemented and was removed in 1.9."

Could that have been a solution for your problem (if ever implemented)?

Cheers,
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Frank,
Thanks for doing the searching. I don't know if that CONTEXT_PERSONAL system would have been the solution I'm looking after.
Thanks all the same,
Joseph

by Frank Ralf -
JFTR

I've started collecting some ideas regarding this thread at User:Frank Ralf/Glossary list.

Does anyone know whether this issues is solved by Moodle 2.0 in one way or another?

Frank

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Nick and everyone,

I also got introduced to using Glossaries for grammar correction through Joseph but I find the students don't refer to it very often. The stronger students use it more often than the others - which is part of how they get to be stronger: by being curious about the language.

Because I also use the Random Glossary Entry block, hoping they'll notice it thoughtful, I've moved to being as concise as possible because long entries don't show up well in the block.

My attempt at dealing with the same problem as you looks like this:

Since 12 September, I'm in Egypt.
=> Since 12 September, I've been in Egypt

I'm working as secretary for 15 years.
=> I've been working as a secretary for 15 years.

I live in France since 2001.
=> I've been living in France since 2001.

I’ am a public health worker for 13 years.
=> I’ve been a public health worker for thirteen years.

I didn’t speak English for 10 years
=> I haven't spoken English for ten years

i work in public health since 10 years ago
=> I've been working in public health for ten years.

It's very interesting to see how different teachers tackle the same problem in different ways, isn't it?

I started adding links from the Grammar Glossary to grammar exercises I have on a special "English Grammar" course I hoped could be a resource course for other courses. But every time I move the Glossary to another course on another site I have to redo all the links.

Cheers,
Glenys

by Nicholas Walker -
Hello again Joseph,

Thank you for your suggestions for the special use of the glossary. I have been developing my glossary, experimenting with different forms of corrective feedback over the course of the past few months. I'm quite pleased with the result. My glossary is starting to catch a fair number of errors automatically, and the initial time investment is starting to pay off.

I'm currently wondering if REGEX (I see that you have some experience with this) can be used with the glossary so that the following error can be caught without having to rely on an exact string match:

1. My sister make me laugh.
  2. My little sister make me laugh.
  3. My big sister make me laugh.
  4. My wonderful big sister make me breakfast every morning.
Example #2 is a real example of an error that a student made. To anticipate other possible errors, I have to add My sister make me, My little sister make me, My big sister make me, and My wonderful sister make to the keyword list. I want to catch all these errors but avoid a false positive in the following sentence:

I want to help my big sister make more money with her business.

Is there a way to specify that the glossary should autolink my * sister make me where the * can stand for any intervening word such as big, little, wonderful, or other?

Thanks,
Nick

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hello Nicholas,
I am pleased that you have found my idea of using the Glossary for language correction useful. I quite understand your idea of a regular expression for catching errors (and avoiding false positives at the same time). This is certainly not feasible at the moment, but I will look into this and keep you posted.
ATB
Joseph