Restore from 1.9.3+ to 2.1.6+ - unknown resource successor message

Restore from 1.9.3+ to 2.1.6+ - unknown resource successor message

by Genevieve Reifer -
Number of replies: 6

Before pulling all of my hair out, I thought I'd try asking for help big grin We are currently in the process of moving courses from Moodle 1.9.3+ (Build: 20081029) to Moodle 2.1.6+ (Build: 20120615) and it has been hit and miss with success.  Some courses move over with no problems while others keep giving error messages.  For the courses that won't move over smoothly, we created a medium server and again, it works for some, but not all courses.

Message 1:  The selected file is not a standard Moodle backup file. The restore process will try to convert the backup file into the standard format and then restore it.  This appears at the beginning of the restore process, so not necessarily an error.

Message 2:  error/unknown_resource_successor  More information about this error   When I click on the link, it takes me to a forum page with this message:  This page does not exist in the Moodle 2.1 documentation. You can check whether it exists in the Moodle 2.2 documentation or search for this page title in other pages.

I never get to the point to select settings or anything else.  It takes me right back out of the restore process and shows Course restoration in progress.

My only workaround is to manually download, upload, copy and paste each course which can take me days and is quite frustrating.  Does anyone have any ideas or useful tips?

TIA

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Genevieve Reifer

Re: Restore from 1.9.3+ to 2.1.6+ - unknown resource successor message

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Just a guess ...

Sounds like the key is 'successor' - whatever that is.  Look for a non-core block/mod/activity that contains that name and remove the block/activity/resource, etc. from the 'troubled course'.  All references.  Make another backup of the course excluding that block/mod/activity/resource.

Then try the restore to the 2.

Volunteer to look at the 1.9 backup of your course to see what's different about it.  Contact off list if so desired.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Michael Trestianu -
Assuming your using PHP & MYSQL.... Not sure if this will work, but have you looked at changing PHP's memory & timing limits. I increased some of PHP's variables in the PHP.ini file (usually located C:\php). The variables i changed were the following: max_execution_time to 4800 (secs), max_input_time to 4800 (secs), memory_limit to 2048 (MB) and post_max_size to 1024(MB). One other change i made which i didn't think of that caused me migration issues was that the MYSQL variable 'max_allowed_packet' size was at the default value of 1M. I increased mine to 16M. This allowed for greater communication packets in a single SQL statement to be sent to the MySQL server. Each value you assign to each variable will depend on your needs obviously. I only increased the sizes during the upgrade process and then reverted them back as i did not want to risk using too much of my servers resources. Hope this helps in some way or another smile

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

As Ken suggests, the key is most likely to be whatever "successor" is. The v1.9.x plugins do not travel into v2.x Moodles and many of those are just not going to be upgraded to v2.x anyway for one reasn or another. The other thing you might have an issue with is that v1.9.3 to v2.1.6 is a very substantial leap. You may want to install the latest v1.9.18 then restore the v1.9.3 courses, back them up again and restore them to the v2.1.6.

by Genevieve Reifer -

Thanks for the tips, I'll forward them to my IT guru and hope something works!  Just not sure why it doesn't apply to every course, just random courses.  We have been using a Moodle 1.9.16 (Build: 20120109) server to help and it has worked but again, not every course.

I'll be back with an update.

by Lawrence N -

Genevieve,

Do you have a 3rd party resource plugin called Noodle?

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

We just now had the same issue (restoring a Moodle course from 1.9.4 to 2.4.3)

It seems, one of the file resources was pointing to a missing file.