What happens when you lock an assignment?

What happens when you lock an assignment?

by Bente Olsen -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

On the assignment grading page you can lock and unlock assignments. What happens when you do that/how does it differ from setting a due date?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: What happens when you lock an assignment?

by Teresa Gibbison -

Hi Bente

Changing the due date in an assignment activity will reflect in the calendar, the notification of how early or late it was and if students can submit if you prevent late submissions.

The lock you see and other grade item settings (eg show/hide) only relate to that grade item and how it is displayed or updated.

If you lock an assignment item in the gradebook it prevents you from allocating grades via the gradebook or the activity.  You'll be prevented from changing a grade in that assignment activity and if it's a quiz any results will not be added to the gradebook.

Similarly, if you hide a grade item in the gradebook it only hides that item from students when they view the gradebook, it will not hide the activity it belongs to.

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

Ang: Re: What happens when you lock an assignment?

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Teresa

Thank you very much. I understand your answer in the way that locking an submission means that the grading is 'frozen' so it can not be changed as long as it is locked. It do not affect anything seen with the eyes of a student?

Bente

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: What happens when you lock an assignment?

by Teresa Gibbison -

Hi Bente

I'm glad that made sense! Locking the grade item does not affect the show/hide option made with the eye icon smile

Cheers
Teresa