Functional website?

Functional website?

by S Uddin -
Number of replies: 6

Hi there

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to create a website similar to below?  It's basically a homework website accessible for anyone using drop down menus for teachers, subjects etc.

http://www.schoolplannerbook.com/dhs/
Many thanks

Slicker

Average of ratings: -
In reply to S Uddin

Re: Functional website?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. (I am assuming you are not the designer of that site simply wanting to get a free plug,  but an interested observersmile)  I don't know that one but I know the guy who made this one http://www.plannerlive.com/selectschool.php and I think you basically need an awful lot of coding knowledge to start on it. This forum isn't really the place to discuss how to do that as this is Moodle and while you can tweak Moodle a  lot, it's not really meant for such use. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by S Uddin -

Correct, I am NOT trying to plug the site.

My school pays to use that planner site so IF moodle can do something similar like that for free, it's a no brainer!

Plus, I would like to keep everything used centralised as possible

In reply to S Uddin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think plannerlive  (the link I gave above) is free -check it out. If you already have Moodle and want to use Moodle then we can explore  ways you can get Moodle to do what you want,  but it would involve workarounds.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by S Uddin -

Thanks for your support Mary smile

We have Moodle 1.914 installed which is externally hosted by our local county (e.g. free hosting).

That plannerlive looks like what we currently use, but as mentioned - I want Moodle to do the same thing as I think it's got the potential to do and have more interactivity.  But, where do I start?!

In reply to S Uddin

by Mary Cooch -

Ok -so - what precisely are you wanting to replicate? You want parents to be able to see what their child has for homework in each subject? Or you want children to be able to see at a glance what they have for homework in each subject? You want teachers to enter homework in their subjects and for that to be easily accessible by the pupils (and possibly their parents)? Which of Moodle's features does your school already use?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by S Uddin -

The main target audience is parents to check their child's actual homework.

Teachers use the homework site as a bulletin board. ICT homeworks often link back to Moodle tasks such as "online assignment"

Students (most of the time) write homework tasks in their planner as a reminder.To combat them forgetting, parents or students can then search for any subject, teacher and year group to find any homework currently or previously set.

Senoir members of staff can also check up on frequency and quality of homework over a period of time.