One Topic format NOT working under moodle 2.3 beta

One Topic format NOT working under moodle 2.3 beta

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 5
I like the one topic format very much
(I use it in combination with the Decaf Theme)

It worked under moodle 2.2, but in the moodle 2.3 beta it does not show anymore what is under the navigation bar.

Greetins, Ger

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: One Topic format NOT working under moodle 2.3 beta

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Ger,

The core functionality structure of course formats has changed radically under Moodle 2.3, therefore all existing contributed course formats that work with Moodle 2.0 - 2.2 will not work under 2.3.

I suggest that you contact David under http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=format_onetopic to discover his intentions with 2.3.

I have had to undertake a rewrite to get Collapsed Topics to work with 2.3.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by ben reynolds -

Gareth,

Did I miss the statement being made that ALL contributed formats won't work in 2.3?

In reply to ben reynolds

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Ben,

Given the premise from what I have seen of the course format code changes in core with the introduction of 'renderer.php' in '/course/' then 'yes' unless they are rewritten to cope.  Unlike the transitions between 2.0 to 2.2 there are fundamental changes.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Dan Poltawski -

I don't think that this is true.

If your code was depending on the way which topics and weeks formats were outputing their information then there have been changes there. Though this was never an official API.

The fundamentals of how formats are displayed and included is the same and for example, social and scorm course formats haven't been changed at all.

The changes for course format authors should be in course/format/upgrade.txt

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok Dan, fair point, but of the current eight on the new plugin's database, six are children of the topics / weeks formats.

Perhaps it is a trait of PHP that failures are so obvious with a screen that shows or a screen that does not rather than degraded functionality in the face of underlying API changes that indicate the need to make a new release.  With the transitions of 2.0, 2.1 to 2.2 the formats that were topics / weeks beased still worked, but with 2.3 the changes were more significant in the transition to polymorphic renderer based API code.

With the desire to move to a new more flexible course format API for Moodle 2.4 as I believe indicated at http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Developer_meeting_May_2012 - what is the best course of action for contributed course format developers to follow?

Is there an official API?

In any event, each contributed format needs to be tested with 2.3 to confirm that it works correctly as expected.

Cheers,

Gareth