Uncheking a choice when doing a multiple-choice quiz exam

Uncheking a choice when doing a multiple-choice quiz exam

by Ivan Sanchez -
Number of replies: 14

Hello, I`ve been looking on how to let students uncheck their choice while making a multiple-choice exam ( they select an option but then they change their mind and don`t want to select any cause a wrong answer rest points ), but didn`t find nothing in the documentation neither in the forums.

Perphaps it is and i didn`t search well, anyway if someone can help me i will be very gratefull.

I know a way, by adding a new multiple-choice option that doesn´t rest pints but it is really ugly (unprofessional) and at the end when showing unchecked questions you can´t distinguish which ones are really answered.

Thanks and apologise my English grammar

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ivan Sanchez

Re: Uncheking a choice when doing a multiple-choice quiz exam

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This has never been implemented. It would require a bit of JavaScript.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ivan Sanchez -

Thanks for the answer, i understand this functionality won´t be implemented or is there a way so you take it in consideration in the future?.

In reply to Ivan Sanchez

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

This is a VERY old tracker issue MDL-5311 (2006 !!) and to my astonishment it has only gathered 2 votes including mine wide eyes.

Why  there are so few Moodle users interested in solving that problem is a mystery for me, but given that number of votes I understand why it's not a priority !!

Unfortunately given my limited javascript skills? I can't have a look at it.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Ivan Sanchez -

Hi, I´m new with moodle, we are trying version 2.2.1, thought that this was a very common utility, at least it is where i came from.

A pity it isn´t taken in care ... You have my vote

About development, i think it is difficult, have to see if it is worth it

Regards  

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Adriane Boyd -

Relatively minor hacks have been proposed to solve this such as double-clicking to deselect a button:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=156661

(Of course the proposed hack is not something that Tim would want to accept, but I think that it could be massaged into a more acceptable/standard form without too much work.)

-Adriane

In reply to Adriane Boyd

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

A non-hacky solution to this, that does not clutter the interface unnecessarily, would be welcome in core.

In reply to Adriane Boyd

by Ivan Sanchez -

That´s the kind of way i was looking for, double-clicking or just clicking on it.

I think this solution it is not the best way, but what really matters is to make it work (it is unfair to grade a student question he doesn`t want to answer cause he misunderstood the question ). Someone has tested this solution on moodle 2.x ?. I will try it but first I have to create an experimental moodle (won`t test it on a running moodle).

The actual solution (adding an other check option), has an other trouble for us, we have many quiz questions done, and when importing to moodle we have to add them manually. 

Thanks for the link and the help !

In reply to Ivan Sanchez

by Pierre Pichet -

" (it is unfair to grade a student question he doesn`t want to answer cause he misunderstood the question )"

If we want to be completely fair, we should have a distinct option that he  he doesn`t want to answer.

This is different from forgetting one question or not having the time to complete the quiz.

Multiplechoice being the most used questiontype, it is however quite normal that the users want maximum flexibility in handling them.

Pierre

P.S. Is there somewhere a wishlist of multiplechoice features ?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Pierre Pichet -

If nothing is checked, how the code handle

public function is_complete_response(array $response) {
        return array_key_exists('answer', $response);
    }

public function is_gradable_response(array $response) {
        return $this->is_complete_response($response);
    }

If this is a new multichoice option i.e. no checking is a valid answer, the user should be warned that this is a special multichoice question.
Adding a supplementary "any of these" button in the editform could be a more simpler option to solve the problem. 

Pierre

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Ivan Sanchez -

I believe we are talking about the same solution with different point of views, under my point of view (and our students think as well), the unchecking option would be a more instintive solution, if we add a new option (don`t want to answer), we will have 3 type of answered questions :  checked, haven`t been checked, and checked saying you don`t want it to be graded.

I believe in both solution, having 3 choices and contemplig them in the summery: checked, unchecked and without grade, so the student can get back to those that haven´t been answered or without grade to check them again. Or 2 choices, check and uncheck leaving the summery as it is.

As i said, i think the unckeck option is the cleanest one, and also we don´t have to edit all our exams to add the new check option. But if we have to get with the 3 choices then we have to edit the summery. 

In reply to Ivan Sanchez

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ivan "... we will have 3 type of answered questions :  checked, haven`t been checked, and checked saying you don`t want it to be graded."

Not necessarily. We could reduce this situation to 2 possibilities. In the Questionnaire plugin (3rd-party) I have solved the problem of the radio button questions as follows.

In the Edit interface, each question has an option "Response Required" Yes/No.

• For radio button questions with Response required students can not submit their questionnaire responses if one or more questions with "Response Required" have not been checked.
  • Those radio button questions with "Response not required" are automatically displayed with their a, b, c, ... choice buttons plus a "Not answered" button. Thus, the student can check one choice (a, b, c, ...), then change their minds and check the "Not answered" button before submitting.

Of course the situation is different because a Quiz is designed to test a student's knowledge of a subject matter, whereas a Questionnaire is a survey-like type of activity designed to gather people's opinions on a certain topic. A Quiz is ususally scored/marked, a Questionnaire isn't. So I am not suggesting that the system used in Questionnaire should be applied to Quiz.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Ivan Sanchez -
Yes, but as i said the problem is when someone checks a question choice, but then he doubts about the answer and changes his mind and doesn´t want to answer at the moment and prefers to leave it to the end so if he has time left he thinks about the solution again. Think this kind of posibility, if we force a response require, and someone checks a solution and as we previously said changes mind and checks the "Not answered" and continues with the quiz, at the end when the summery is shown he wont be able to see wich question were "Not answed" to check back again if he has time left. We have this kind of problems cause our quiz exams are made up of great number of questions in a very short time, students used to read quickly and answer as fast as they can, solving the ones they know without thinking too much (here is where they can misunderstand a question and check a solution instinctively and then realize that they doubt about the correct answer), as they finish the first look of the exam, they watch the summery to see wich ones they have left in blanck, to get back and think a bit more. (and here is the problem, they don`t know which are the questions checked as "Not answered" cause in the summery are only shown checked and haven´t been checked.) Hope you have a better idea what i`m trying to say, any posible solution is welcome. best regards and thanks again, Ivan
In reply to Ivan Sanchez

by Ram M -

I had the same issue.

The basic idea is to use a button which will reset the form

This was the HTML code I used:

<button type='reset'>Clear my Response</button>

Hope it helps!

In reply to Ram M

by Juan Souto -

Where did you put these code??