What controls the display of Quiz columns in the Gradebook?

What controls the display of Quiz columns in the Gradebook?

by Shirley VerStraete -
Number of replies: 1

We're using Moodle 2.2.3
It seems there are too many factors that affect whether a students score displays in gradebook OR whether a quiz's column is dimmed!!

Can someone please explain two aspects to me:
- What controls whether a student's score displays in Gradebook to the Teacher?
- What controls whether a quiz's column in gradebook is dimmed or solidly displays?

For example, here's the settings in a quiz where the student's score (Mark?) is not displaying even though the student has taken the quiz.

Looking at Items/Categories > Edit settings:
Hidden until is NOT enabled and the date that is dimmed out is June 12, 2012 (today's date).

In Quiz Edit Settings --
Open the Quiz: June 12, 2012 and this is NOT Enabled
Close the Quiz: June 7, 2013 and this IS Enabled

Review Options --
"Marks" is checkmarked for "immediately after the attempt", "Later, while the quiz is still open", and "After the quiz is closed".

There are 5 students in the course and only 1 has taken the quiz.

Thank you anyone!

In reply to Shirley VerStraete

Re: What controls the display of Quiz columns in the Gradebook?

by Marty Soupcoff -

You are correct that there are different "choke" points that dictate what and when grades appear to either students or a teacher. I'll try to separate the two to make it easy.

Dictates what/when a teacher sees the grade

1. Make sure you have the quiz being worth something. In the Edit quiz page where you can add questions to the quiz, make sure the Max Grade is not set to zero. If it is, then all the quiz submissions will be zeros in the gradebook.
  2. In the Categories & Items tab in the gradebook, if the quiz grade item is locked, then the grades in the gradebook won't be updated; even if there are new submissions. Unlock the grade item and then the grades will update.

Those are the only two "choke" points I can think of at this time involving the restriction of a teacher not seeing quiz results in the gradebook. For the most part, teachers should always be able to see the quiz results in the gradebook unless they do one of the above; which is seldom done.

Dictates what/when students see the grade/ column dimmed in gradebook

1. Review options - In the quiz settings, the teacher can decide when certain items are released to students.
  2. Grade item hidden on Categories & Items tab by instructor
  3. Same as #1 on teacher side

There may be others I'm not thinking of that others that can add on. If you try all of the above and still have problem, try running a regrade to see if it pops into the gradebook. Post your results and we continue troubleshooting if needed.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!