Assign roles to blocks Moodle 2.2

Assign roles to blocks Moodle 2.2

by Claire Browne -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I think I have got the wrong end of the stick with block roles.

If you assign a role to a block with several users, does it mean that the several users ONLY get to see the block?

Well I thought that was my understanding but even though i assign a role with users, EVERY user sees the block on Moodle.

Is there another setting I need to set? have I lost the plot?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Claire Browne

Re: Assign roles to blocks Moodle 2.2

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Claire "If you assign a role to a block with several users ..."

I'm not sure what you mean by this.thoughtful

Joseph

In reply to Claire Browne

by Lesli Smith -

Hi, Claire.  Yes, I think you may have gotten the purposes mixed up.  "Assign roles" generally works best if you are trying to bump up permissions on a limited context.  Example: you have a student leader who minds the calendar for you.  You can assign the student leader to a role that can edit the calendar for the course from the "assign roles" place in the calendar block.

Everyone will see most blocks unless you use the permissions link just under the assign roles link in the settings block.  The most common case I see is for courses where teachers want to see online users but don't want their students to see online users.  I've attached a pic that I hope helps for that case.  You would click the plus sign under prohibited in the pic for the two things you don't want students to be able to do in that context in that course.  Hope that makes sense.

permissionsinblocks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Lesli Smith

by Claire Browne -

This is fantastic and yes it has worked for me, I had lost the plot and got the concept completely round the wrong way. I think the Moodle Docs need to be re written around this subject.

thanks