decimal sums in hotpot

decimal sums in hotpot

by stephen mcconkey -
Number of replies: 2

Hi

Can anyone advise how I can give more than one answer to simple sums using decimals EG the answers 0.7 or .7 or 0.700 or 0.7000 etc are all correct. I am creating question in Hotpotatoes and then importing them into the question bank in moodle. Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to stephen mcconkey

Re: decimal sums in hotpot

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Stephen,
in Hot Potatoes JQuiz you can give more than one predicted answer and then specify the score for each answer. If you make the score for all your predicted answers 100%, then any of them will be judged to be a correct answer ... I think.

It doesn't quite capture the essence of the issue that I think you are trying to solve which is to ignore trailing zeros, or more generally to  use only a certain number of significant decimal places, or maybe even accept any answer within a given range. I believe the numeric question type in the Moodle question bank can handle those concepts more elegantly, but unfortunately there is no corresponding editor in Hot Potatoes, so you would have to import them using a different format, e.g. GIFT. The Hot Potatoes programs are more suitable for text-based exercises.

Here are some help docs:

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: decimal sums in hotpot

by stephen mcconkey -

Gordon

Many thanks for your help with this question and many others over the last year or so.  I tried the numerical question type, as you suggested, and this seems to solve my problem and is quite easy to use.

Cheers

Stephen