FreeBSD install docs needed

FreeBSD install docs needed

by John Gone -
Number of replies: 8
Is there a FreeBSD expert in the house? If so, and I'm sure there are several, would you like to contribute some expertise to the step-by-step Moodle installation for FreeBSD docs? FreeBSD rookies everywhere thank you in advance for this generous contribution.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Gone

Re: FreeBSD install docs needed

by Gunther Dippe -
Is it only docs for a Moodle installation thats needed?

The only difference I can think of compared to (RH)Linux is where the root of the web tree is.

Maybe a three column installation FAQ with Linux, Win and FreeBSD (possibly OSX also) would be more useful?
In reply to Gunther Dippe

by John Gone -
Yes, maybe you're right about the 4 column idea... I'm just trying to flesh out the install docs in the Developer Documentation Wiki to include the platforms already listed there. Because it's easy for anyone to add to them in the Wiki I thought it'd be a good place to collect install tips from the experts.
In reply to John Gone

by Gunther Dippe -
I agree on where to put it and after having a look at what's written for the Moodle->RH installation I also have a better idea what needs to be written.

Since I'm sysadmin of all "my" Linux/Freebsd/OSX computers there's probably a need for somebody who has set up Moodle using an external host.

I think that quite a bit can be copied from the RH instructions and maybe it's wise to layout the instructions as closely as possible to those.

by John Gone -
And now I'm wondering how many shared hosting services use FreeBSD? My guess would be very few but that would be a wild guess only. If anyone can provide some numbers, great!

Perhaps if we approach this from the sysadmin/serveradmin perspective that is most effective. I'm thinking that, for now, most of the FreeBSD installations would be for training and intranets. What do you think about this?

I agree that the FreeBSD should try and use as much of the RH instructions as possible and mirror that layout as closely as possible.
In reply to John Gone

by Gunther Dippe -
Maybe two different sections?
1) As serveradmin
2) Using a hosting service

I started working on the instructions but it'll take a while before they can be used at all.

by John Gone -
Yes, I guess it makes more sense to split it up.

I think time is on your side. The FreeBSD crowd seems to have the patience of Martin Dougiamas.

Thanks Gunther.
In reply to John Gone

by Gunther Dippe -
John,
Can you please check out the alpha version at
http://moodle.org/wiki/index.php/StepByStepInstallMoodleOnFreeBSD?

I need input and also a native who can check my English!

by John Gone -
Gunther, the alpha looks great! Clear instructions with some excellent links provided for further info where necessary. Couldn't ask for more. Great job. Can't wait to try it, step-by-step.

The English is perfect as far as I can see.

I'm a minnow in the ocean that is FreeBSD so I don't do much with my FreeBSD boxes without my advisor being close by to keep me on the right track. I will work through these steps ASAP and advise you of the results. It'll probably be at least a week or two, unfortunately, before I can actually get to the Moodle install.

Thank you very much Gunther.