how to install new version 1.1

how to install new version 1.1

by L. Vandijck -
Number of replies: 6

Being a tutor but not much of a computer buff, I've been playing around with Moodle as a system to put courses etc. online for our (secundary) school. And I am greatly impressed by its possibilities. In the course of the last weeks a number of colleagues and I have prepared a few complete courses, ready to be used starting next September.

Now, the coming version 1.1 is very promising, as it addresses a number of topics and adds interesting features. However, to us it is also frightening: how can we implement the new version without a clean install, so without damaging or even losing the content we have already set up?
We are all regular computer users but definitely not more than that. We were able to get our Moodle site going by simply following the installation instructions provided. But as we don't seem to find any info on moving to a new version we are a bit at a loss...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to L. Vandijck

Re: how to install new version 1.1

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Don't worry, Moodle can upgrade itself and you won't lose anything. All you need to do, basically, is replace your current Moodle scripts with the new version, then visit your admin page.

Full instructions here: http://moodle.org/doc/?frame=upgrade.html
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by L. Vandijck -

Thanks.

Reassured, we're awaiting version 1.1 with a bit more confidence.

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Timothy Takemoto -

In the full instructions that Martin kindly created at
http://moodle.org/doc/?frame=upgrade.html
it says things like

mv moodle moodle.backup
tar xvzf moodle-1.0.6.tgz

And

cp moodle.backup/config.php moodle
cp -pr moodle.backup/theme/mytheme moodle/theme/mytheme

Due to my ignorace, I am not sure what these lines are.  My Internet servivce provider does not seem to allow the execution of what these, may be called "shell commands"(?) In my fttp software, which is how I normally handle files on my web site, there is a tool for executing commands of choice. However I am not able to execute even "cp," it seems. Tar definately does not seem to be possible.

Luckily, since I am able to move things, unzip, and copy things and the above "mv," "tar" and "cp" may have those meanings. I may be able to effect the above without being able to execute such commands. However there are some e.g. the "-pr" and, if using the "cvs" the command

cvs update -dP

Looks like it is going to be a little tricky. It looks like it involves executing a file with parameters. However, more fortunately still, I have not used my moodle installation so I can probably just wipe it all off and start again.

Perhaps I should try and start up my own server.
http://moodle.org/wiki/index.php/StepByStepInstallMoodleOnRedhat

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Patrik Nilsson -

Theese commands is when you use for an example your own linux server.
If you have your site with a provider they might not let you into the system to it that way.
But what is done is following.

mv moodle moodle.backup = move the moodle folder to a new folder called moodle.backup , you would probably use ftp to download it into a new folder.

tar xvzf moodle-1.0.6.tgz = he unpacks the downloaded moodle package wich you can do any way you normally do it on your computer. There is a .zip version if you use windows for example. then you would delete your files on the server and upload the new package.

cp moodle.backup/config.php moodle = he copy the config file to your new package on the server from your moodle.backup folder

cp -pr moodle.backup/theme/mytheme moodle/theme/mytheme = copy all your own themes from moodle.backup/theme/yourownthemefolder to the same spot on the new package on the server.
All this copying you probably do in your ftp program like normal.

But what is missing is that you should probably download a backup of your datafolder and the provider maybe have a way for you to make backup of your sqldatabase.
otherwise there is a addon for sqldatabase handeling you can use for moodle on the download page.

The commands you use when you don't use ftp and use comands directly to do the things on the server. And the -pr is for cp -pr preserve file attribute if possible and recursive so it copy everything in the folder.

When it comes to cvs it needs to be installed on the server and it might be a problem there with a server provider. I am not sure about that one so maybe someone else can explain that better ? 

In reply to Patrik Nilsson

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thanks very much for the explanation Patrik, it made things a lot clearer. I think that I will not be using the cvs for a while so I should be able to get by with the instructions above. Since I have not yet used my moodle (1.09) I don't suppose it matters if I do not back up. I guess. The only things that I want to keep are the themes.

Thanks again,
Tim

In reply to L. Vandijck

by Runy Calmera -

Vandijck,

These are two ways of doing it. The "simple"one 1 and the less simple one 2.

1. Let Martin, (moodle.com) write you a proposal how to host your site. As you now have quite some content in your site (and that's an investment) your site is a professional site. So you need professional assistance and care for your site. Maybe Martin can write you a proposal how to back up your site and upgrade it to moodel 1.1. without loosing any content.

If you follow this track I advise you to have your requirements clear first. Do you want backup, do you want, advice to help you build new content. Does your teachers want advise. Does your layout or theme of the site change very often? In short: write down what you need and want.

2. Manage your own site professionally.

Here you do need to invest in setting and running up your own site. All the technicallities of running your own server, upgrading to moodle 1.1 etc. can be learned. There are a lot of sites of (php, mysql) out there and the opensource community is really thrilling. You don;t have to run your own server at home, you can have an ISP host your server , but you do everything yourself like me.

1. You will need a test server (to simulate the upgrate first and run it on production later). If you are interested in this track I can give you more advise.-

Runy