assign system roles

assign system roles

by Monica Bokos -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everyone,

I am trying to assign system roles to teachers and students in Moodle 2.2.3 and it's not working.

I checked system in the definition of roles but I still get the page where an enrolement key is asked. When I type the enrolement key which normally gives the student role, I have acces as a teacher.

What am I missing? Is this a normal behavior?

Thanks,

Monica

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Monica Bokos

Re: assign system roles

by Steve Bond -

Hi Monica

I've just hit the same problem, and you are right, it doesn't work. I tried on demo.moodle.net as well, same problem.

Steps to reproduce:

* As admin, use Users > Permissions > Define Roles to change the Student role so that it can be assigned at the system level.

* Use Users > Permissions > Assign system roles to add a user as a Student across the whole system.

* Go to any course that that user was not already enrolled on, and click Users > Enrolled users. The user is not listed as they should be.

* Log in as the user, and try to access a course which has an enrolment key, that they are not already enrolled on. You are asked for the enrolment key, whereas the system role should grant you direct access.

Are Monica and I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Steve

In reply to Steve Bond

by Steve Bond -

Hi,

Now I've found this, which seems to be the same problem:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-30931

Petr's reply there makes no sense to me. The message on the Assign System Roles page is quite clear:

"WARNING! Any roles you assign from this page will apply to the assigned users throughout the entire system, including the front page and all the courses."

Similarly, in Moodle Docs (http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Assign_roles#System_context) it reads:

"Assigning a teacher or student here would result in their being able to teach/study in every single course on the site, which is not usually desirable. "

So if I assign student role to someone at the system level, I would expect them to then have student privileges within each course, just as if I had enrolled them as a student in each course.

Can anyone either confirm that this is a bug, or else explain in what way this is working as expected?

Thanks

Steve

In reply to Steve Bond

by ben reynolds -

I'd say this is a case where the documentation is out of date. Petr is pretty clearly saying that, as of 2.0, you can assign a system role but that doing so will not automatically put the user with that role into all courses.

It looks like cohorts is the way to go. http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Cohorts

In reply to ben reynolds

by Steve Bond -

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. I think I understand from this that assigning a system role now means that they have that role in the system context, but that it does not cascade down to the contexts below.

I'm not sure how cohorts helps plug this gap. Cohorts are a way to assign a whole bunch of users to a course, but what I want to do is assign a user to a whole bunch of courses. As far as I can tell, the only way I can do this now is to assign a category-level role, for each category in turn.

Regards

Steve