Combining Course

Combining Course

by Mark Tomlinson -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Moodlers,

Wonder if anyone can throw some light on a problem i have. I am trying to merge two course together ( in short two courses into one ), tried everything I can think of, Please help

Many Thanks

Mark

Running Moodle 2.2

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Tomlinson

Re: Combining Course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mark - technical questions are usually answered in the Using Moodle forums as this is for social chit chat. If you haven't already I suggest you take a look at importing course data here http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Import_course_data Import the resources from course B into course A -then delete course B

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Floyd Saner -

Mary,

Thanks for catching that the post was in the wrong forum.  I didn't even look at that. thoughtful

- Floyd

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Tomlinson -

Yeah that what I thought but it aint working...

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well I see you are now posting over in Using Moodle forums so let's abandon this thread and I will respond to you over there.

by Floyd Saner -

Mark,

There are a couple options available to you.

1. If you want to combine enrolments, create a meta course and make the two other courses child courses.  Enrolments from the two child courses will cascade up into the parent course.

2. If you want to combine content of courses A and B, do the following:
    1. Backup both courses (Settings...Course Administration...Backup) and download the backup files. This is important because it provides a way to recover the courses if you make a mistake.

2. Do one of the following two procedures.
      1. Try the Import link.  I experienced some trouble with this in Moodle 1.9, but I believe it works much better in Moodle 2.  The following will import Course B into Course A.
        1. Go to course A.
        2. Select the Import link from the Settings...Course Administration block.
        3. Select the course to import, Course B, and follow the instructions.

2. If the above Import procedure does not work, then try this (assumes you made backups of courses A and B).
        1. Go to course B and in the Course Administration block, click Restore.
        2. Scroll down the page and find the backup file for Course B;  click the Restore link to the right of the backup file name.
        3. On the second Restore page (Destination), scroll down to 'Restore into an existing course', and select option 'Merge the backup course into the existing course'.  Be careful here, because you will overwrite (delete) Course A if you select the "Delete the contents....." option.
        4. Find and select Course A in the list of courses.
        5. Click "Continue" and follow the prompts.

- Floyd