Moodle Partners

Moodle Partners

by Jim Grogan -
Number of replies: 13

Has there even been a side by side comparison of services offered by Moodle Partners? I'm currently with one of them and I would like to know about other Moodle users experiences with each of the USA partners. Really, I'm wondering if they share the  policies of the partner I'm using now.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Grogan

Re: Moodle Partners

by Derek Chirnside -

Jim, this is of course a very very delicate question.

If you don't have the relationship with anyone that you do business with where you can phone them up and have a chat, then there will be tension.  The two big issues of course are service (am I getting the service I need?) and cost (Am I paying too much, paying for things I don'e need etc). 

If you are unhappy (or even just wondering if things could be different) then call them up.    If you have been through this (and really do want to move) I suspect there is no public league tables to help.  Not that I have seen.  And I'd be suspicious of them anyway.

I am also wary of "I use provider X and I am happy" type of comment.  It may help me decide who to investigate, and do my own homework.  Also I am wary of the comment "I use provider Y and they suck".  tongueout

Good luck.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Floyd Saner -

Derek,

Thanks for a very tactful response to the post.  I agree, these discussions are best done privately.   Public discourse on such issues often degrades into arguments that are not helpful. 

I've worked with both major Moodle Partners in the U.S. and find they provide excellent service.  Of course, as with any organization, you will find some people who had bad experiences or found the service did not suit their needs.  But, I would say the success of the major Moodle Partners demonstrates their commitment to Moodle and to excellent service.

-Floyd

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Jim Grogan -

Thank you Derek for responding. I’m glad that you have had positive experiences with the Moodle Partners. I don't see any negativity in my post. I just asked for information. I did not mention which Moodle Partner I am currently using.

I can perform a Google Search for a feature list of smartphones and receive hundreds of hits. Since Moodle hosting is a product like any other I don't see the difference. When has transparency become a bad thing? I’m looking for the best situation for my users, that is my job.

I’m sorry I offended you. That was not my intention.

In reply to Jim Grogan

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think transparency is a good thing. I would like to see the same comparison information of Moodle services that Jim is seeking. I agree with Derek that an unsystematic list of casual opinions is not helpful, so the comparison study should be fair and impartial, something like what a third party group, such as Consumer Reports, does in North America.

The study should also compare non-Moodle partners and other options such in-house services. Obviously, community contribution should be a factor to be analyzed.

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Sean Haynes -

I understand the discussion but, we are having a terrible experience with our Moodle partner, a main player in the market. It's got to the point that we need to move to another supplier before user faith in the system is lost.

It's true to say that every supplier will now and again run into issues, that's to be expected - to a degree. The important / most crucial aspect is how they deal with it - in my mind that is the measure of how good or poor a company is.

Unfortunately our supplier is very poor so a list of definitive Moodle partners would be useful. Not asking for league tables just a pointer, a place to start for the research.

In reply to Sean Haynes

by Jim Grogan -

Sean, did you try to contact anyone at Moodle.org?

In reply to Jim Grogan

by Mike Hoinville -

Hi I did not know where to start with this hence the first mail! It is only a one off 'job' but I thought it wiser to 'delegate wisely' rather than try and save money learning to do it badly myself as I have quite a bit of other stuff to do before site launch - any guidance would be very appreciated re where to post the offer - thanks Mike

In reply to Mike Hoinville

by Michael Penney -

Hi Mike if you re asking about where to submit a request for information or a request for a quote, you can go to Moodle.com and find a partner or several you would like to work with.

One of the big reasons there are many different Partners around the world is so that customers can find someone in or near their timezone and language, which generally makes things easier.

Most Partners will have a contact form on their site.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Mike,

I'm not in a financial position to use a Moodle Partner, but if I were, I know exactly how I'd go about choosing:

• one of those who respond frequently and competently on the Using Moodle forums. 
  • one of those who are also "Particularly helpful Moodlers"

On the Using Moodle forums, the status of "Moodle Partner" and "Particularly helpful Moodler" is indicated by an icon (it's not indicated here in the Lounge - I don't know why).

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think Glenys the Particularly Helpful Moodler icon is a group icon in the Using Moodle course - and as the Lounge is a separate course I presume it doesn't use groups -  and as we are not meant to be being "useful"  but just chatting socially then it isn't considered to be a relevant group here. Though I guess we could have a group and group icon for "particularly friendly Moodlers"big grin

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Mary,

I think we could have a group and an icon here too for "particularly amusing Moodlers" big grin

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Jim Grogan

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Declaration: I work for a (small) Moodle Partner in the UK.

I have no issue with transparency but I wonder what this would achieve. The Moodle Partners directory shows what basic services each partner provides. Beyond that, we are not talking about some sort of MacDonalds-esque franchise here. These are all very different companies.

The company I am involved with is quite small and - I like to think - provides a personal service to those that want that sort of thing. I don't think we compare like-for-like with a big international partner like, say, MoodleRooms. As a client, it depends on your requirements and the type of organisation you like to work with what type of partner you will choose.