Problems upgrading from moodle 1.9.18+ to 2.0 (Ubuntu 12.04)

Problems upgrading from moodle 1.9.18+ to 2.0 (Ubuntu 12.04)

by Emil Valbjørn -
Number of replies: 2

Hello there.

I'm trying  to upgrade from moodle 19.18+ to 2.0 and from there I want to upgrade it to 2.1 and all the way to 2.2.3.

However I'm having problems finishing the first upgrade.

I'm following this post and it's all fine until after step "Database settings" because I'm always getting the "Error: New Moodle version was installed on server, unfortunately upgrade from the previous version is not supported.
Please upgrade first to latest 1.9.x release. You can also return to previous version by reinstalling original files." 

Now I'm running 1.9.18+ and as far as I can understand that is the latest 1.9 version.

I'm very fresh on moodle and I've never done anything like this before (but don't worry the upgrade is being tested on a test site) but in the guide it says to do the following:

"Having moved your old Moodle software program files to another location, unzip or unpack the upgrade file so that all new the Moodle software program files are in the location the old files used to be in on the server. Moodle will adjust SQL and moodledata if it needs to in the upgrade."

In this post I simply move everything from my /var/www/ folder to /tmp and then copy in the new code in /var/www/.. Is this correct or is this where I'm doing it wrong?

Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emil Valbjørn

Re: Problems upgrading from moodle 1.9.18+ to 2.0 (Ubuntu 12.04)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It sounds like you have the right idea...

In the OLD/ORIGINAL code, can you find the file version.php in the root of the moodle install (/var/www to you) and copy the contents here. There's only a few lines. Just to make sure there's nothing odd about the version you are running.