Wish there was a better way to have a resource/activity for just a group? Please read

Wish there was a better way to have a resource/activity for just a group? Please read

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 30

Morning all.

I recently have opened up a tracker item to debate the inclusion of a new feature in Moodle 2.3. I am keen to get as many users voting, or maybe arguing why not, to add this feature.

Many teachers are aware that Moodle does not allow for an easy way to set a task or resource just for a particular group. But it is something we need on a regular basis.

Advanced users are often made aware of the trick of creating a grouping just for a group. This however is not what that functionality was designed for and as such is difficult to set up, not intuitive and a it buggy.

I propose a different solution. Moodle 2 introduced "Conditions" allowing a teacher to set a pre-requisite for access to any resource or activity. To dat these include things such as:

• restriction based on date criteria
  • restriction based on a required grade 
  • restriction based on a prior resource/activity being complete or not

A condition is just that. A condition of entry/access. A requirement that must be met before something can be accessed. It (at least to me) makes sense that we add the following criteria to future release

• Restriction based on group membership.

This would allow for a teacher to say "this homework task is just for Class A" or "this task is just for external users" and so forth. Ill try to better explain this below as I outlined my argument in the tracker.

A picture of this in action is shown below:

============

Groupings is critical. It sadly is being misused (abused) to meet a required need.

Groupings was meant to be for setting up tasks with specific grouping mechanics. i.e.

• This forum is for class discussion. Use class groupings (class A, class B, class C)
  • This wiki is for group work in groups of 4 (A1, A2, A3, A4)
  • This assignment should be done in pairs
  • etc

In this use groupings is vital so that Moodle understands how to apply the specific grouping mechanic needed as set by the teacher.
The "for group members only" means that students not allocated to this task grouping methodology don't see it. And this is valuable.

The issue here of course is that in Moodle there is a STRONG need by facilitators to set activities or resources JUST for a group. 1.e.

• This is a informal homework task for class A
  • This is a resource just for external users
  • This task is for the January intake only and needs a specific date.
    For the above methodology I would either need to make separate courses (more work for teachers and more confusion for students), or create multiple resources and activities that all students see which also leads to confusion.

So let me reiterate:

Separating by groupings is not designed to be used this way and as such:

• Groupings are a pain to setup. Often today a grouping is created with only one group in it to allow me to separate tasks out as listed above.
  • grades still show in the grade book for items that I may not see in the course
  • It is not intuitive as terminology does not make sense when used in this fashion

I am not suggesting the removal of groupings at all and I DONT believe it doubles up on functionality. It is a different tool for a different purpose and with different strengths and weaknesses. It is like saying lets ditch glossary because it double up on the database activity functionality.

Lets instead say "HEY! This is the wrong way to do it. Groupings are for grouping mechanics. As intended. Conditions are about setting conditions for access" When done this way I do not think there is a double up. It is a creation of a new feature that meets the needs of our facilitators.

=========

Am I wrong here? Do you agree? Is there a better way? I am keen to hear thoughts from the community on this matter so that hopefully it can be addressed i a future release.

If you do believe this is a good way forward, please be sure to go to the tracker and vote, otherwise I would love to see constructive debate here in this forum post.

Ticket address - http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-30554

Julian

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Wish there was a better way to have a resource/activity for just a group? Please read

by Itamar Tzadok -

Using conditions is probably a cleaner way to implement this functionality although it would not necessarily be more intuitive or easier to many users than the grouping approach. But isn't that what 'override user/group permissions' is for (as in the quiz)?

I'm happy to say that luckily I have been so ignorant of the "real" purpose of Groupings (for setting up tasks with specific grouping mechanics) as to be able to use it effectively to restrict access to activities. wink

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: Wish there was a better way to have a resource/activity for just a group? Please read

by Claire Browne -

I like your thinking but some of the permissions in the 'Define Permission' section of Moodle can be confusing and overriding can get messy if your having to do this for several tutors.

I much prefer the user interface I am a visual (Moodle Admin) learner, I know excatly what button/field or drop box does and is expected to do. 

This also cuts down testing time as well. With overriding I then have to find a tutor who has that role and the override.

I would much rather like the image above that Julian posted than see a lot of radio buttons to choose from.

by Lindy Klein -

Hi Julian,

The short answer to this question - Yes.  I do, most sincerely, wish there was a better way of doing this.  I found the description you've provided a little hard to follow, so below is my attempt at explaining how I see Groups and Groupings used (after our chat for clarification) smile

Let's take a fairly common scenario with RTO usage of Moodle:

A course is developed with generic content.  Client A Group and Client B Group will be doing the course at the same time, but should not see each other - so we use Separate Groups.

This is using groups for student management, which, strictly speaking is not what it was intended for, and leaves us with a problem - what happens when we want to do group work within these classes?

Let's take the more obviously problematic example of visible groups.  Visible groups works well for seeding the ideas of the class members, while still allowing them to focus on their own group work - forums are particularly well-suited to this.  If I try to use this in the scenario above, I end up with both clients seeing each other - which is not what we want.

I could refrain from using visible groups and stick to separate only, creating multiple groups - Client A broken into 4 groups (Client A1, Client A2, Client A3, Client A4) and similar for Client B, allowing both to partake of group work activities.  The trouble with this scenario is that Client A students are now members of two groups - Client A, and Client A#.  Separate groups cease to work effectively, as they can still talk to each other being members of the same overall Group.  So we use Groupings, ensuring the activity is available to only those in the Grouping it is associated with.

In this way, a forum can be allocated to Grouping Client A, with all 4 of its groups included in the Grouping, such that now the forum is not available to the overall Group A, but still available to members of each mini-group (Group A #).

Setting this up is cumbersome, and has serious implications for the Grader Report, which lists every assessment item in the course, regardless of audience, causing confusion for students and staff alike.

It would be so much easier to simply restrict an activity to a selected list of groups!  Just like restricted access based on a previously completed activity (with assoicated grades if we want), or a dated period.  And as a result of this restriction, the activity is hidden (my understanding is this occurs both in the front page of the course and in the grader report area), unless a student meets the restriction requirements.

I see this as replacing groupings - I just can't see how groupings would be easier, more effective or simpler for anyone to use for this purpose.  Maybe I'm missing something in the translation, but for me it boils down to being able to tailor specific content (resources or activities) for specific audiences within our courses.  This would work for RTO's (as per the above example), or less "client-focussed" organisations who want to target content to specific groups of students, for example, to give them a choice of group project.  It is particularly necessary for those contexts where one course, with substantially the same content, is used for multiple audiences simultaneously.  I personally don't want to have to run several versions of a course to accomodate these different audiences, as I will be bound to miss updating one of the duplicate courses as I refine my teaching over several periods.

I have voted for the tracker item, and encourage others to do the same.  It would be nice to see some discussion of this at some of the upcoming conferences, to get a feel for what the Moodle community is thinking - in fact, I may just post a copy of this over at the iMoot forums ;)

Below is a step-by step comparison

Step Using Groupings Using Proposed Restricted Access
1 Create group for specific audience/s. Create group for specific audience/s.
2 Add members to groups.* Add members to groups.*
3 Create groupings for specific collections of audiences. Create activity, restrict to required group/groups.
4 Add groups to groupings.  
5 Create activity, allocate to grouping.  

*Members could be added to groups manually, or using an enrolment process, or using the Group Choice plugin.

Hope this helps clarify a bit for those who, like me, struggle a bit with these concepts smile

In reply to Lindy Klein

by Minh-Tam Nguyen -

Hi Julian, others,

I understand the problem and agree with you that the method that you and Lindy describe as the current way to achieve this is not the ideal use of the groupings functionality. I have used this method many times myself and also recommended it to teachers to achieve the goal of making an activity or resource available to some students only.

I have found that this five step method works well and doesn't interfere with uses of groups for other purposes.It is very easy to see which activities are only avaialble to certain students thanks to the grouping displayed in brackets next to the activity name on the course page.

I agree however, that this five step method is a bit complex, especially for people new to using groups and groupings. I would not be surprised if the apparent complexity would discourage some teachers from considering these kinds of methods in their teaching. I therefor agree that it woudl be good to improve on it and make it easier for teachers to make an activity or resource available to only the members of one group.

But I think that the approach that you suggest will create other problems: Unless the groups and groupings interface is completely revisited, there will effectively be two methods of achieving the same goal, and people will be confused. Even more worrying woudl be if aa teacher were to make the activity/resource available to Group A only using the new Conditionals interface, but in the common module specify separate groups, group members only, for a grouping that doesn't conatin Group A (or worse, a grouping that contains a sub-set of members from Group A). The confusion created by any interference between the two group-restrictions would be a nightmare.

The beauty of the currently implemented groups and groupings functionality is that groups can be used for so many different things. I can't see a way to prevent teachers from creating activity restrictions using the current five step method without also breaking it for other use cases.

I also think that the suggested change to the interface woudl effectively discourage the use of groups and groupings for other purposes by making them less obvious. This would, if I'm pessimistic about it, have the effect of making people forget about hte "Separate Groups" and "Visible Ggroups" modes. If a teacher were in need of forums split into groups where students can't see what other groups are writing, they would simply go and create ten forum activities and restrict each to just group A, B, C, etc.

In short, I agree it woudl be useful to make this particular use case of groups and groupings easier. But I don't agree with your proposed solution as it would make other use cases more difficult.

Why not allow teachers to use the "Groups" and "avaialble for group members only" settings in "Common module settings" even if the group mode is "None"?

In reply to Minh-Tam Nguyen

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I am exactly in agremeent with this. It sounds like you really understand the facility and how it's supposed to work.

The proposal here is a bad idea IMO. It would result in two totally separate infrastructures which can both achieve the same task, which is duplication at the back-end as well as in the front-end user interface. Duplication of front-end UI is sometimes sensible (maybe there is an 'easy' and 'advanced' way to set something up) but duplication of back-end implementation (in this case, the code that controls whether a student can access something) is very rarely a good idea.

We have a user interface problem here which is that it is a pain to restrict access for an activity to one group. But there is no technical back-end problem with restricting an activity to one group, it's very simple - set up a grouping for that group, set the activity to it - our systems at the OU automatically create many groupings for each course, some of which contain only one group, for this purpose.

I would propose that a good solution is an easier way to create a grouping.

For example, if you imagine that where we currently have the groupings dropdown, we add a Select one or more groups button right next to it. If you choose that button, you get an in-page popup titled Create grouping containing a list of all the groups on the course. You can click to select one or ctrl-click to select several of them; there's a text box at the top where you can give the grouping a name, which defaults to <Activity name> grouping; click OK and it creates the grouping and selects it.

So in other words the procedure for restricting a single activity to a single group, when editing the activity settings, would then become:

1. By the grouping dropdown, click Select one or more groups

2. Click on the group you want to restrict it to.

3. Click OK.

Wouldn't that be a nicer solution? It should be fairly easy to develop (some JavaScript and an AJAX handler but no changes to core libraries, except the bit that displays the grouping dropdown itself). And, by being so easy, it helps educate users that the grouping feature exists and about how to use it, so they can take advantage of its other benefits (such as being able to reuse the same grouping in more than one activity if required - and, in grouped activities, still providing the 'grouped-ness' but within only the selected groups).

--sam

In reply to sam marshall

by Gavin Henrick -
Picture of Plugin developers

Having read the options, I gotta agree with Sam here, I think making the existing feature easier to use/activate would be more appropriate.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gavin Henrick

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think Julian has an excellent  point but in terms of making this work better I agree also with Gavin (who agrees with Sam)  Conditional activities is an "advanced feature" and so in order to be able to set condition by group you would have to enable Conditional activities for everything   and what if you didn't want any of the other criteria - your activity settings would be very long for no reason -whereas working on improving what's available already would give you what we need without encroaching elsewhere.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Julian Ridden -

Hi Mary.

Just want to respond to your point about enablement of Conditional activities.

Yes, the suggested new methodology only works if Conditions are enabled by Admin. But so is Groupings. Groupings is also off by default and currently listed as an "experimental" setting scaring many admins from turning it on anyways.

Julian

by Julian Ridden -

Let me take that aspect of the debate and attempt to throw it back at you.

Should not the functionality reside in an "obvious" place?

Forget existing users for a second and put yourself in the place of a new user.

You want to restrict access of a resource to a group. Where do you look?

In a place called "restrict access" which restricts access to material based on a condition, or a place called "grouping" which is about categorising types of groups.

This is my bugbear here. The old way was the only way because we did not have other alternatives. With current methodology it makes no sense to leave it there anymore.

Just because that is how it was done before does not mean it should continue to be done that way.

/me stands ready for the counter to his counter argument

Julian

by Gavin Henrick -

I think, the logical place for group related permissions is with groups.

People can use groups without having any conditional access enabled, and I think Sams recommendation of UI change most fits how someone would approach groups.

And I don't think forgetting existing users here would be the wise move. Ideally if writing this whole feature from scratch if it was new, then perhaps neither option would be used, who knows. However you gotta work from where you are forwards and thats with existing users.

by Stephan Rinke -

Hi again,

I am with Julian on this point. 

The user will not care how Moodle achieves making an activity/resource only available to specified groups as long as it works.

Wouldn't it be possible to

a) make Groupings activated by default in the next release? (seems to be working very fine and I don't know why it's still "experimental")

b) have a section in the settings of every material/activity that allows choosing the groups it should be available to by activating checkboxes next to the groups name?

If then Moodle automatically creates the Groupings needed to achieve making the material only available to the specified groups, then that would achieve what's wanted!

I have attached something which may hopefully clarify what I mean.

Best,

Stephan

Attachment IMG_20120515_170024.jpg
In reply to Stephan Rinke

by Stephan Rinke -

Having re-read Sam's post I just realised that this seems to be pretty much what he meant. Or am I wrong, Sam?

Stephan

by Gavin Henrick -

Sam was basically suggesting improving the UI for the groups/groupings to make it easier to use,  where Julian is suggesting adding the group aspect into the conditional activities section.

by Claire Browne -

When setting up a courses/activites, I already have pre defined fields given to me, so if I had been instructed to restrict this course or activity I would want the group restiction in the 'Restrict Access' part of the settings not in the groups.

If it was in groups then I have to remove myself from the activity settings page, open up groups in a seperate tab and then find the groupings page and then set the settings there, save and then return back to the activity settings and carry on with the activity set up. 

To touch on Mary's point does it matter if the settings page is a little longer than usual, if you use the 'Show Advance' buttons appropriately and have plenty of self help question marks, this hopefully wont scare off the teacher.

Moodle docs is the same, when I downloaded Moodle for the first time I had to read 10-11 pages before I actually got a straight installation process  but thats another story...

Keep it simple Moodle and I +1 for Group Restriction in 'Restrict Access'.

by Ian Goding -

Stephan's is a great and simple display - add any groupings that have been created to the groups list, put it all together in the same box as the contitions, and call the box 'access restrictions' or similar.  

The main problem with Groupings and conditions is that the two forms of access restrictions are in different places.

In reply to Ian Goding

by Mat Cannings -

I was in favour of the suggestion detailed in Julian's initial post within this discussion. I still believe that from a user perspective this is the most logical place for this option to be located with all of the other conditions.

Thanks to Sam and others I also see that from a development perspective changing the database and other backend to Moodle is a no go and not going to happen soon.

Refering back to the mockup in the initial post is there any reason that this interface could not be used to create the groupings where required? e.g. I have added two group conditions, when saving the form Moodle checks to see if a grouping with just those groups in exists in the course, it then uses it or creates a new one if required.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mat Cannings

by Stephan Rinke -

Yep, that's exactly what I tried to put forward big grin

In reply to sam marshall

by Vinny Stocker -

+1 for Sam's suggestion.

I agree there ought to be a neat solution, but I'm not sure if it should be added into conditions.

In my mind groupings says who can access an activity, conditions says why (or why not) they can access something. So adding the ability to set an activity for a specific group into conditions might be a little quirky.

Saying that, I've never liked the term 'groupings'. Would the user even need to see the <Activity name> grouping created? The mechanics could be to create a grouping, but the user may just think they are selecting the groups to make the activity available to.

I think there is a wider issue about the user interface of Moodle, and user friendliness, especially for the less geeky out there.

Thanks for raising this Julian - well overdue.

Vinny

In reply to sam marshall

by Michael Penney -

When presenting Moodle in front of prospective users who are comparing it to other LMS systems, the fact that there is a multistep process required to setup groups for the common purpose (in an LMS) of restricting activities by group frequently is often confusing to faculty/instructional design evaluators. It should be a simple one click solution. 

If we want to avoid a rewrite to make the backend match the user requirements, each group could make itself a grouping when it's created, for instance.

In the field, Moodle is competing with systems that are very User Interface driven (Canvas, Edmodo, to an increasing extent BB 9.1), so UI is becoming increasingly important.

PS for folks interested in the what/why of groupings, Nick Frear's posts from 07 are informativewink.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=64356#p289978

In reply to sam marshall

by Shane Elliott -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Sam,

> Wouldn't that be a nicer solution? It should be fairly easy to develop ...

I don't think so. And it should never be about what is easier to develop (and even if it was, there is already a code patch available from Mark although needs some additional work). Let me explain my reasons:

1. It has nothing to do with the Groupings interface or the Restrict Access interface. In either case it can be improved if needed (I think we agree there);

2. Groupings is used solely for the purpose of restricting access to an activity to a "grouping" of users. To me that means it should reside within the Restrict Access scope of the code (and interface). And I think from a general teacher perspective this would make sense as well - be good to hear opinions of any teachers here;

3. The argument that you can restrict the activity to multiple groups by adding those groups to a grouping is really an interface issue. Surely we could make a multi-select group box in the Restrict Access section. Or my preference would be to work on the existing conditions interface and make them AND and OR - but that's another discussion;

4. Your proposal of tidying up the interface still leaves an additional step ie have to create the grouping / name it;

5. Conceptually it's easier for people to think about a single level of groups. Anecdotally, it always causes confusion when we explain groupings in our training sessions. Ok, granted it could be my bad training style but I seem to have more success explaining some other "hard-to-learn" areas of moodle;

6. Turning on Conditional Activities or turning on Groupings both need to be done by an admin ie no difference in the work or requirements there;

7. Regardless of how good the groupings interface is made, it's still another interface to do the same thing ie restrict access! Not so if groups restriction is made a part of the existing Restrict Access interface;

I understand there is already a working method for making this happen ie groupings, but for the reasons above I think moving this into the Restrict Access part makes more sense. As I mentioned in the tracker issue, I think remove the existing groupings code, and on the upgrade move any grouping restrictions into restricted groups access. One set of code, interface in a logical place.

End of my rant ...

Cheers,
Shane. 

As an aside, it would also be nice if the Group Mode could be made to apply to a subset of groups eg Group A, Group B, Group C, Group D. Separate groups mode is on but only applies to Groups A,B,C. Anyone in Group D only is treated, for the purposes of the group mode, as if they weren't in a group. Lot's of possibilities for teachers there! But that's also another discussion.

by Ian Goding -

Adding a condition re membership of a group would be very helpful - many of our teachers have expressed this (they were used to it in 'another place', as the politicians say).  

They also need it to apply to resources - as you have mentioned - not just activities.

Ian

by William Dunwoody -

I'm in complete agreement with you Julian.

I have one specific activity where I put my class into groups for a debate later. Each group is given certain material that's for their eyes only. As of right now I still have to make copies for them and hand it out. I want to get away from that. The material should be there for the students, at their fingertips when they demand it.

What you are proposing would work perfectly for me. I'll give my support on the tracker.

by Mark Drechsler -

No arguments here Julian.

When I'm running through the way one has to restrict content to a subset of individuals within a course it is always a slightly tricky one. I explain how I *think* groups and groupings would have come into being, and then how this gives a way to restrict content to a subset of individuals, but also acknowledging that it is a little clunky. The question 'well why can't we restrict access to groups as well as groupings' usually leads me to say 'because nobody has implemented it yet'.

Reading through the discussions in the Tracker I do accept the code-bloat argument to a certain extent, but this is a far more common use case (in my experience working across multiple clients) that it would be worth implementing. As a trainer, I'd be overjoyed because I would now have two ways to solve two different problems. Yes, if I wanted to I could use Groupings to achieve a similar effect, but unless I was dealing with multiple overlapping sets of students I'd probably leave groupings in the bag nine times out of ten.

Will continue discussions in the Tracker, but this gets my vote for inclusion when resources are available to get it integrated.

D. 

In reply to Mark Drechsler

by Derek Chirnside -

I haven't had time or energy in the last 48 hours to properly engage with this conversation, but I have just scanned it.

Michaels comment stood out:

If we want to avoid a rewrite to make the backend match the user requirements, each group could make itself a grouping when it's created, for instance.

Is this a possible way forward given the constraints and history?

-Derek

by Stephan Rinke -

Hi  Julian,

fully  agree  with  you.

This  extra  function  would  make  things  a  lot  easier  for  teachers  who  want  to  create  simulations  and/ or   cooperative  learning  scenarios  which  require  the  distribution  of  different  material  to  different    groups.

Up  to  now, I  have  taught  people  the  trick  with  the  one   group grouping.  But  as  you say,  this  is  awkward and  not  intuitive.

The  groupings  function  is  still  needed  and  must  under  no  circumstances  be  scrapped!  It  will  complement  this  new  feature  brilliantly  when  creating a  course  that  features  several    group  activities.

Thanks  for  starting this,  Julian.  Since I  had  found  the workaround, I  had a  real  blind spot  there!

Best,

Stephan

by Michael Walker -

Julian, I think the conditional option would make sense, and be a welcome addtion.

by Claire Browne -

Hey 

Definitely a great idea, I am no liking the fact Moodle HQ has given this Moodle Improvement a resolution status of 'Wont Fix' and the consequence of that is no one cannot vote. http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-30554

So are Moodle HQ dictating what Improvements THEY want us to have rather than what the community want?

I thought Moodle was a open source - community based VLE? 

In reply to Claire Browne

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Claire,

It doesn't happen very often that issues are closed as 'Won't fix'. In the case of MDL-30554, I notice that conditional activities component maintainer Sam M (from the OU, not Moodle HQ) explains that it's because the proposed code duplicates existing code. However, anyone is free to customise their Moodle and make use of Mark's code.