cohort sync enrolled users still remain while moving course from one category to another category

cohort sync enrolled users still remain while moving course from one category to another category

by Mahendra Soni -
Number of replies: 7

Am i going to be a right way.?

I created a category[i.e. cat-1] and then create cohort[i.e. coh-1] for this category cat-1.

I created a course[i.e. maths] and sync the cohort coh-1 to course maths.

As I read in cohort docs that if we create a cohort within a category, we can not enroll this cohort to other category courses.

My question is when we move the course i.e. maths ( created inside the course category cat-1 synced with cohort coh-1 ) from one category(cat-1) to another category(cat-2), it still shows the enrolled user of cohort coh-1 while cat-2 has a different cohort??

and also I want to know how to unsync cohort ftom course??

Thanks!!smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mahendra Soni

Re: cohort sync enrolled users still remain while moving course from one category to another category

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,

cohort sync is not hard-linked to categories, there is an artificial restriction that you can use only cohorts from system or parent categories when setting up new cohort sync. It is safe to move the courses around, the cohorts will be kept in sync. If you want to remove some cohort sync delete it from the list of course enrolment methods. Alternatively if you want to keep users in groups and do not want to loose all grades, etc. you can just disable the cohort sync.

Petr
In reply to Petr Skoda

Re: cohort sync enrolled users still remain while moving course from one category to another category

by Mahendra Soni -

Thanks for your reply!smile

In reply to Petr Skoda

by Paul Lovatt -

I am in despair trying to find someone who can answer the following simple question:

Having created a cohort in one category, how can I find this cohort and change its category to something else (like system wide)?

If you can select a level from system down through categories when you create a cohort then surely it should be easy to find that cohort afterwards and reassign it to a different category or system-wide (which will be my default from now on so I never have to waste my time with this again).  So why am I, thinking myself intelligent my whole life, failing to find this option among the myriad links and options all over the place in Moodle 2.2.

And why on this beautiful Earth would it be possible to make a cohort available within a category but not be able to enrol it in the category (so you don't have to add the cohort to each course individually)?  Like you have deluxe club membership but you have to re-apply to go into any of the actual rooms.

If I could get a handle on what in our magnificent Universe's name the developers were thinking I might be a little less frustrated than I am right now.

Please help.

In reply to Paul Lovatt

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Having created a cohort in one category, how can I find this cohort and change its category to something else (like system wide)?

Go to course category where is your cohort and click on "Cohorts" in category settings block. It is the usual place for any category settings and tools.

In reply to Petr Skoda

by Paul Lovatt -

Thanks for that swift reply.  I had given up. 

I was looking for a cohort (assigned to a category) and it did not occur to me to look in the category for the cohort.  This may seem stupid, until you realise I was in another category looking for the cohort when I noticed it was not available there! 

The first place that made sense for me to look was in administration>plugins>enrolments>cohortsync (no luck) ... then
manage enrolment plugins (no luck) ... then in users>accounts>cohorts (no luck) then I tried to find a student enrolled using cohort sync to try and get in the back door (no luck).

It may seem obvious to you thatcohorts settings are to be found at administration>courses>add/editcourses>[my category]>[back up to the settings block]cohorts but it wasn't obvious to me! Especially as the final cohorts does not become visble until you get inside the category.

BTW while writing this reply I have noticed that the cohort you helped me move with the above useful instruction is no longer listed in the category I moved it from, even though I reassigned it to be system-wide. So the same cohort I was looking for before is now to be found somewhere else.

Can you tell me where?

In reply to Paul Lovatt

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Howard Miller

by Bill Colen -

Another question for Cohort Sync. I want to add a cohort of teachers as non-editing teachers to a Category, so they all have non-editing teacher roles in all of the courses within that category.

I have looked everywhere, set all the settings as per Moodle Docs but still cannot progress.