I'm using Moodle 1.9.5+ (Build: 20090715)
My problem started this morning, April 27. By looking at forum posts made this morning, I can tell the glitch started some time after 9 a.m. and before 10:33 a.m.
Forum posts prepared in the WYSIWYG now contain a backslash wherever apostrophes or quote marks are part of the text. Simple formatting, such as italics, does not "take." Neither do URLs applied in the usual manner, using the chain link icon.
I tried disabling WYSIWYG but that didn't make much difference. Backslashes still appear in the text for apostrophes or quote marks. Italics do work now (using HTML code) but the code for adding a link doesn't appear at all, not even as visible code in the text of the forum post.
I have not changed any settings in Moodle in recent memory, except for one. Yesterday I gave one of my students Teacher capabilities. I took her off the Teacher list just now, just in case something was screwing up with that, but it didn't help.
Thank you for any light you can shed on this.