Upgrading from 1.9 to 2 - Unable to loggin to Moodle

Upgrading from 1.9 to 2 - Unable to loggin to Moodle

by Michelle Liesker -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, I am very new to moodle. We have been using Moodle 1.9 with only 1 course created (I am happy to start over). Our business analyst set up Moodle on our server (Internal - server 2008 Microsoft) but has since left and i am not sure of what he did to put it on our intranet. It is not available on the internet.

I attempted an upgrade to V2 and everything looked great. now I am stuck in a loop and cannot login to Moodle at all.

I would appreciate any help at all but please understand i am not a computer genius blush I am not all that familiar with PHP and computer gobbeldegook.... (although trying to learn).

what I can tell you is...I backed up the data, put moodle in maintenance mode, checked sever/environment to make sure the status checks were ok, moved the config.php file out of moodle files, downloaded version 2.0, unzipped and overwrited the moodle folder, moved the config file back to moodle folder and then tried to access Moodle.

I have now a number of messages, one of which i have attached. I am now stuck in the loop....please help me.

Cheers Michelle

Attachment Upgade to new version.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michelle Liesker

Re: Upgrading from 1.9 to 2 - Unable to loggin to Moodle

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Michelle,

Did you, by any chance, make a backup of your moodledata folder and of your moodle folder (or have the original package)? If so, then rename your moodle folder (e.g. to moodle_bad), restore your moodle folder backup (or unpack your moodle package), copy the config.php file from "moode_bad" into your new moodle folder, restore your moodledata folder and your database. Hopefully everything will work fine.

Before attempting an upgrade, please read:

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Upgrading

Before an upgrade, you should always backup your moodle folder, your moodledata folder and your database.

During an upgrade you shouldn't overwrite the moodle folder. You should always rename it and then do the unpacking, followed by copying the config.php file.

You didn't specify exactly what Moodle 1.9 version (1.9.x) you were using.

If dont' have the required backups to roll back to your original 1.9 version, and considering you don't mind, then you'll be better off by starting completely anew:

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Installing_Moodle

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Windows_installation

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Installation_FAQ

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Michelle Liesker -

Hi Guillermo,

Yes I did take a backup of all moodle data folders and the database.

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. I will attempt another upgrade following your suggestions.

I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

by Alex Saavedra -

Michelle,

I faced the exact same situation a few weeks ago. A small change to the database allowed the upgrade to proceed. The required change was to match the collation of two columns: mdl_role_assignment.enrol and mdl_enrol.enrol. The screenshot shows that they are currently different (utf8_unicode_ci and utf8_general_ci), thus MySQL is unable to perform a JOIN operation.

HTH,

A. Saavedra

In reply to Alex Saavedra

by Michelle Liesker -

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply, before attempting another upgrade I will try the change you have suggested.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again, the moodle forums / community are a fantastic help!

Cheers

by Michelle Liesker -

Hi,

I have been able to progress a little in the upgrade. However I am stuck in another loop sad I have read alot of forums on this issue (it seems to happen alot) but I have found no fix. I am at the plugin page - where it tells me "All non-standard plugins should be checked and upgraded to their most recent versions before continuing with this Moodle upgrade". I have updated all the plugins (that were non-standard) to the current version. It came up with the same message.  I also tried removing them, this did not work either.

How can I get past this? 

Thanks

Attachment upgrade plugins.png