No search function in Gradebook?

No search function in Gradebook?

by Janet Van Ness -
Number of replies: 6

I have a required course with 2000 registrants, many of whom have "taken" the course offsite in group settings. I receive lists of the attendees, and, while the batch upload works fairly well, I often have to manually input as many as 100 grades. The gradebook desn't even have the records arrayed under letters of the alphabet! I have to take a guess that maybe #18  has the records that start with "O" and if it doesn't I just have to click around til I find it.

Almost as bad, clicking update when changing a grade brings you back to the first screen of enrolees.

VERY Frustrating. Is there a solution?

In reply to Janet Van Ness

Re: No search function in Gradebook?

by Bob Puffer -

I haven't seen a gradebook in any version of Moodle suitable to politely handle this many students.  Sorry.  I'd recommend using a specialized gradebook program.

by Andrew Davis -

For what its worth I've recently fixed the problem that was causing the current page to be lost when you clicked "update". MDL-31818

"I have to take a guess that maybe #18  has the records that start with "O" "

So are you suggesting that instead of page numbers 1-N we would have A-Z (or equivalent in other languages) and students would be ordered by their name?

by Claire Feirn -

I understand what Janet is saying

There is no easy way to find a specific student in the Grader report.

It works fine if you view quiz attempts, there is an A-Z and you can narrow down by the initials of first and last name.  See attachement.

Something like this would be great for the gradebook.

Attachment grader.jpg

by Marty Soupcoff -

The California State University Moodle Common Interest Group (CSU CIG) lead by developers at San Francisco State University (SFSU) re-tooled the gradebook pretty heavily. Their gradebook has filtering options that make finding students in large sections a little bit easier. To see an example of this feature and others they made, they created a webpage with details and an example video. Currently this is still in a private github as it is still being developed but maybe a little while down the road it will become publicly available. On the same note, SFSU is presenting on the gradebook at the upcoming Moodle Moot West Coast taking place in Los Angeles.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Sue Harper -

Just viewed the video. Looks great. We would love to see the code become available.

In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Amir Ressaissi -

I am very happy to see that a group is seriously looking at the gradebook because it is currently very cumbersome. From watching the video I'm still seeing an issue with screen real estate. Why are the rows for each student so high?

Below is a screenshot from PowerTeacher (same system as PowerSchool and created by Pearson). In some ways PowerSchool seems to be in competition with Moodle but there as some very nice features in PowerTeacher which Moodle should be able to provide as well. For example, as mentioned above, the amount of space that each student and each assignment takes. Viewing it like in PowerTeacher (see screenshot) allows a teacher to see (and grade) 30-40 students and ~15 grades, all at once without scrolling. This type of overview allows us, as teachers, to detect patterns much faster which is critical for preventing students from falling behind.

I hope this can be one of the little detailes that can be modified in an otherwise brilliant system.