Answers not being graded

Answers not being graded

by Ken Masters -
Number of replies: 6

Hi All

Using 1.9x

We've had an incident where a student has answered the question correctly, and the raw score has been correctly allocated, but the mark has not been taken into account in the grade calcualtion.  We had to to manually override this.  (See attached).

I've seen this before where a student has been awarded 0.  We can spot these easily.  Usually, running the Regrade process fixes those, but it didn't make a difference on this one.  In this case, though, the student was given her grades from all her answers except this one.  We would not have spotted this if the student hadn't queried her score (and we have no idea how many other students have been affected).

Is there an explanation for this, and how we can fix this?

Thanks very much.

Attachment GradesNotCorrect.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Masters

Re: Answers not being graded

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What was the time limit /  close date on this quiz attempt? Was it before 14:25?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ken Masters -

No, it was disabled.  But I did notice on her time, that she went over the limit, but only by a minute or so.

In reply to Ken Masters

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Right, well in Moodle 2.0 / 1.9, it sets the score to zero if the student is too far over time.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ken Masters -

Hi

In this case, though:

- the quiz's time limit was 8 minutes

- the student started the quiz at 14:16  (Moodle doesn't show a more accurate time than that).

- she correctly answered and saved her answer at 14:21:50, well within the time.  The raw score of 1 was saved (but not graded).

- then it was graded when at 14:25, the student having taken 9 mins and 5 secs to complete the quiz.

She lost that 1 mark.

I can understand that, if after 8 minutes, she tried to answer a question, that it would not be saved, but, in this case, she saved that answer well within time.  And Moodle didn't set her total quiz score to 0; it simply made an error on this question.  All other questions were correctly graded, and totaled.

In reply to Ken Masters

by Glenn Ansley -

What do the logs for this user show for this quiz? Are there multiple 'close attempt' records in the log. We recently discovered hundereds of quiz attempts with final grades that may have been calcluated incorrectly over the past 18 months. All of them have one thing in common - multiple 'close attempt' records in the log with the same timestamp / attempt id.

We're investgating it now but it looks like the loop that grades questions and tallies the final result was called twice somehow in a very short time period. 

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a tracker issue for this? We're still investgating on our end. (Moodle 1.9.16)

In reply to Glenn Ansley

by jj v -

Glenn

I discovered more or less the same. In my situation students are kicked out the quiz, before they realy stop the attempt. Some of them keep there grades, one of them is lost all.

Moodle 1.9.16