Language Selection

Language Selection

by Lee Qualls -
Number of replies: 5

Ok so I have created a new cvs install in a seperate directory from my current version of moodle. I would like to setup the new directory using the database from the current install once this is done I am going to remove the current directory. On the install.php page of the new moodle I select English and it takes me back to the language selection it wont move forward. I checked the lang folder and there is a en folder in it. What am I missing?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lee Qualls

Re: Language Selection

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Is the purpose to upgrade the current MDL using the newly CVS populated directory?  What is the current MDL version?  If current Moodle is 1.9.x sounds like an attempt at a migration rather than an install/upgrade.

From what you've described, suggest reading:
http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Installation_FAQ
and
http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Upgrading

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Lee Qualls -

Yes, (Not sure what MDL means) I am upgradeing the current version of moodle because the original was not installed using CVS I could not upgrade that way.

The current version is Moodle 2.2.2 Stable from a couple moths ago. The new version is Moodle 2.2.2 Stable from yesterday.

In reply to Lee Qualls

by Ken Task -

MDL = Moodle. ;)

Qualification for this response: I do NOT host on HostGator.  So the following is really throwing out an idea for your consideration ...

Suggest study up on suphp first (that controls your site[s)] access).

First and foremost ... **backup what you have** - the webroot (where the moodle code and config.php file resides), the data directory for Moodle, and a database dump.

If one is successful, one could cross a point of no return ... can't undo and the only way to recover is to restore the old site manually (not sure HostGator will have a script to bail you out!).  Might study that (recovery) to make sure one can re-cover.

*Might* consider doing this (which is similar to directions given in Moodle docs):

rename the current moodle folder at web root from (*as an example*) moodle to moodle.back. 

Use CVS to install the new 2.2.2 code into a directory called moodle (notice the directory name did NOT change). 

Copy the config.php file from moodle.back to the new moodle directory.  If you have add-ons and themes, copy those from moodle.back to the appropriate locations in the new moodle directory.  Notice I said 'copy' NOT move.  Also, remember, when you copy, permissions on those files/folders might get changed.  They must have permissions such that Moodle works (your suphp). 

Then hit the site and login.  It should throw you into the update mode and the update process should be fairly quick ... probably nothing more than updating version numbers but there might be some new setting screens one has to step through.  Once you've done that, you've cross the point of no return, BTW.

Why that way?  The only thing that has changed is the moodle web root files/code - DB access is the same as it was before - no edits to config.php or to the DB necessary - and your data directory already has correct permissions or should have cause it's not be touched.

** BUT ** the fact that the attempt to choose a language on a fresh install is throwing you back to the same page indicates permissions issues (am guessing from previous discussion that suphp is involved).  And if that is not solved, then the above suggestion will probably fail.

Before attempting this, might want to wait to see if there are other HostGator users on these forums that have a better way and better knowledge of the Hostgator system.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Lee Qualls -

Hey Ken, Thanks for the detailed help. I moved the config file over and MDL worked with no problems. I was also wrong about the pervious version, it was 2.2.1 and I upgraded to 2.2.2+

I was woundering how you determined the domain is on HostGator? We are no longer with HG and have moved to a new hosting service.

Thanks for all the help.

In reply to Lee Qualls

by Ken Task -

I may have gotten confused in attempts to help multiple users with similar problems - that's what happens with too many irons in multiple fires. :|

Glad you've been able to update.  Might I suggest you share the process of upgrading via CVS with other Moodle users on your new hosting service?

'spirit of sharing', Ken