Text causing Error 500?!

Text causing Error 500?!

by Yehuda Zimmerman -
Number of replies: 3

I am getting an internal error 500 from the server when I try creating a page with specific text. There are no special symbols or anything else strange in the text. I checked the HTML, and even with just a <p> tag at the start and a </p> at the end, with nothing other than the following text, I am getting an error.

Attach the device to the selected area (remove the protective cover from the adhesive tape). 

Remove transparent protecting cover from the display surface

I have this problem on a few other pages as well, but I can't figure it out.

Is this a Moodle bug or am I doing something wrong?

Please help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yehuda Zimmerman

Re: Text causing Error 500?!

by Guillermo Madero -

You should definetely check your server error logs, as error 500 is quite ambiguous. It would seem to me that there is a permission problem somewhere.

What moodle version, web server, etc. are you working with?

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Yehuda Zimmerman -

I'm using Moodle 2.2.1+, Apache, on Red Hat.

The following is a line from the web server log (all the errors are variations on this):

[Mon Mar 12 03:24:22 2012] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] File does not exist: /home/xxxxx/public_html/500.shtml, referer: http://my.elearning.site.com/course/modedit.php?update=759&return=0

The Moodle error log in the root directory shows:

[11-Mar-2012 18:36:21] Default exception handler: Sorry, the requested file could not be found Debug:
* line 435 of /lib/setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
* line 1568 of /lib/filelib.php: call to print_error()
* line 3860 of /lib/filelib.php: call to send_file_not_found()
* line 37 of /pluginfile.php: call to file_pluginfile()

So if I understand correctly, the logs chains backwards, meaning that the cause is line 37 of /pluginfile.php: call to file_pluginfile() which then caused the error in filelib etc.

The following is all of the code in /pluginfile.php:

require_once('config.php');
require_once('lib/filelib.php');

$relativepath = get_file_argument();
$forcedownload = optional_param('forcedownload', 0, PARAM_BOOL);

file_pluginfile($relativepath, $forcedownload);

BTW - Today I tried inserting the same text and got no error. Could this be an issue with the web server, such as memory or something else?

Thanks!

In reply to Yehuda Zimmerman

by Guillermo Madero -

The server error line only tells that modedit.php?... tried to open file 500.shtml, which was not found. I would try and see if there are any other relevant lines.

Yes the log is read down to bottom.

Yes, error 500 is always a web server issue, which of course can be caused by an app problem (code bug, etc.).