This message keeps on appearing in error message logs:

File does not exist: /var/www/html/eclass/_vti_inf.html
File does not exist: /var/www/html/eclass/_vti_bin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Genner Cerna

Re: error!

by Shane Elliott -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
_vti_bin and _vti_cnf are Frontpage extension names. Have you (or someone else) created an HTML file somewhere that uses Frontpage extensions?
Everything should still run ok without the folders/files existing.

More info on the various Frontpage Files and Folders

HTH

In reply to Shane Elliott

by Genner Cerna -
Nobody use Frontpage, but ill check it out... thanks
In reply to Genner Cerna

by Gary Lewis -
You will get these messages on any web server open to the web. Some of them can be due to just the way some Microsoft software is configured, where the software is more-or-less innocently checking to see if postings can be done. See:

http://www.xav.com/scripts/guardian/help/1022.html

On the other hand, they are also often part of an automated probe to see if the server is vulnerable to exploits, in this case various ones involving servers with frontpage extensions.

Our high-use servers get a huge number of these, and they hit any server that is in DNS. I just checked a pilot install of Moodle that has not been up long and has less than 30 users. I had that type of message from two IP addresses. One was a legitimate user, the other was an attempted exploit. I could tell the exploit because it made multiple unsuccessful attempts at various things within a few seconds and also attempted to push a very long string up to the server, obviously an attempted buffer overflow.

Not too much to worry about if you, or someone, is keeping up with server vulnerabilities, and you are not running any frontpage extensions (those are available for Unix as well as Windows BTW).